76 Assisted Living Facilities near Derwood, MD
There are 76 Assisted Living Facilities in the Derwood area, with 4 in Derwood and 72 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Derwood is $4,200 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Gaithersburg with an average starting cost of $3,333.
To help you with your search, browse the 190 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Derwood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Derwood 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Olney with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Derwood, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Derwood, MD
72 Assisted Living Facilities near Derwood, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Derwood
This cozy suburb of Washington D.C. is one of the best places to live in Maryland. Derwood offers seniors plentiful parks and green spaces in which to relax. Of the approximately 2,400 residents, about 13 percent are age 65 and older. To provide seniors who need support with the normal activities of daily living, such as bathing and mobility, with a secure, comfortable environment,
Derwood offers four assisted living facilities. Nearby cities, including Rockville, Olney and Gaithersburg, are home to another 71 high-quality assisted living communities. Maryland’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene oversees the licensing of the state’s assisted living programs (ALPs) in Derwood.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Derwood
- With only 17 miles between Derwood and D.C., active seniors have no shortage of world-class cultural opportunities from which to choose. The Department of Aging and Community Living hosts numerous events throughout the year, including the DC Senior Games, DC Senior Cameo Club and the Annual Senior Symposium.
- Derwood receives 43 inches of rain annually, along with 18 inches of snow. Meanwhile, summers often bring excessive humidity and July average high temperature of 86 degrees. Seniors with chronic respiratory problems may find that the damp weather aggravates their symptoms.
- The average air quality of Montgomery County gives seniors living in Derwood a comfortable environment for outdoor activities. The American Lung Association gives Montgomery County a grade of “C” for ozone pollution and an “A” for particle pollution.
- The Derwood area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MedStar Washington Hospital Center and Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - Heart Care Bethesda, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The overall cost of living in Derwood is about 55 percent higher than the national average. Housing and transportation costs are especially high. Seniors pay about 5 percent more for groceries and utilities in Derwood compared to the U.S. average.
- Both violent and property crime rates are lower than the U.S. average in Derwood. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 representing high crime, Derwood’s violent crime ranking is 15.1, compared with the U.S. average of 22.7. Property crime in Derwood, at 27.5, is also much lower than the national average of 35.4, so families of seniors in assisted living facilities here may feel more confident of their loved ones' safety.
Paying for Assisted Living in Derwood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Derwood start around $4,200 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Derwood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Derwood
Maryland offers low- and moderate-income seniors assistance through its state-funded Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy (SALGHS) program. Seniors who are unable to live independently receive subsidies to support the cost of personal care, daily meals and 24-hour supervision in smaller ALPs licensed for four to 16 residents. Those living in larger assisted living facilities may be able to apply for the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Derwood
Derwood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Derwood, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Derwood
Derwood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Derwood
Review of AlfredHouse Needwood
AlfredHouse looked like a nice place, but they didn't offer apartment-sized rooms for my mother. They were a little short on amenities. There was a common room that was kind of a multipurpose room.... Read more