The 10 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Derwood, MD for 2023
There are 87 Assisted Living Facilities in the Derwood area, with 4 in Derwood and 83 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Derwood is $4,750 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,860. Cheaper nearby regions include Gaithersburg with an average starting cost of $4,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 230 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Derwood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Derwood 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Gaithersburg with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Derwood, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Derwood, MD
Sycamore Acres I
Sycamore Acres II
Sunrise at Montgomery Village
Sunrise of Rockville
Homecrest Assisted Living
The Terraces At Tuckerman Lane
Asheir Homes - Potomac
Superior Care, Inc.
Kindley Assisted Living at Asbury Met...
Assisted Living of Potomac I
Marian Assisted Living
Serenity Gardens Assisted Living
Cadence Living Olney
Modena Reserve at Kensington
Miracle Manor Assisted Living
Ingleside at King Farm
Silver Spring Assisted Living
Ammahl Home For The Elderly
Nu-Life Assisted Living Inc
Tranquil Loving Care Assisted Living
Comfort Senior Home LLC
Asbury Methodist Village
Hebrew Home of Greater Washington
Aspenwood Senior Living Community
Brightview West End
B'nai B'rith Homecrest House
Serenity Gardens Assisted Living II
Potomac Seniors Village
Royals Assisted Living
The Seneca Rockville
The Village at Rockville—A National L...
Avalon Homes Inc
Rockville Comfort Care LLC
La Familia Assisted Living
Friends House Retirement Community
Georges Assisted Living
Layhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
Shady Grove Nursing & Rehabilitation ...
Fatima Assisted Living
Asheir Manor - Germantown
Holy Care Assisted Living
Maple Ridge Group Home
Aberdeen House Ii
Angels Garden (The) Ii
Angels Garden III
Angels Garden Llc (The)
Assisted Living Of Rockville Ii Inc
Assisted Living Of Rockville, Llc
Cedar Glen Memory Care Home
Eden Kosher Homes, Llc
Jk House Of Grace Iii
Lins House Llc
New Haven, Inc
Best Home For Mom And Dad
Jk House Of Grace Ii
My Sister'S Place
Potomac Grace Assisted Living Facility
Deborah Assisted Living #1
Heart and Hands Assisted Living
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Derwood
This cozy suburb of Washington D.C. is one of the best places to live in Maryland. Derwood offers seniors plentiful parks and green spaces in which to relax. Of the approximately 2,400 residents, about 13 percent are age 65 and older. To provide seniors who need support with the normal activities of daily living, such as bathing and mobility, with a secure, comfortable environment,
Derwood offers four assisted living facilities. Nearby cities, including Rockville, Olney and Gaithersburg, are home to another 71 high-quality assisted living communities. Maryland’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene oversees the licensing of the state’s assisted living programs (ALPs) in Derwood.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Derwood
- With only 17 miles between Derwood and D.C., active seniors have no shortage of world-class cultural opportunities from which to choose. The Department of Aging and Community Living hosts numerous events throughout the year, including the DC Senior Games, DC Senior Cameo Club and the Annual Senior Symposium.
- Derwood receives 43 inches of rain annually, along with 18 inches of snow. Meanwhile, summers often bring excessive humidity and July average high temperature of 86 degrees. Seniors with chronic respiratory problems may find that the damp weather aggravates their symptoms.
- The average air quality of Montgomery County gives seniors living in Derwood a comfortable environment for outdoor activities. The American Lung Association gives Montgomery County a grade of “C” for ozone pollution and an “A” for particle pollution.
- The Derwood area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MedStar Washington Hospital Center and Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - Heart Care Bethesda, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The overall cost of living in Derwood is about 55 percent higher than the national average. Housing and transportation costs are especially high. Seniors pay about 5 percent more for groceries and utilities in Derwood compared to the U.S. average.
- Both violent and property crime rates are lower than the U.S. average in Derwood. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 representing high crime, Derwood’s violent crime ranking is 15.1, compared with the U.S. average of 22.7. Property crime in Derwood, at 27.5, is also much lower than the national average of 35.4, so families of seniors in assisted living facilities here may feel more confident of their loved ones' safety.
Paying for Assisted Living in Derwood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Derwood start around $4,750 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Derwood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Derwood
Maryland offers low- and moderate-income seniors assistance through its state-funded Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy (SALGHS) program. Seniors who are unable to live independently receive subsidies to support the cost of personal care, daily meals and 24-hour supervision in smaller ALPs licensed for four to 16 residents. Those living in larger assisted living facilities may be able to apply for the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Derwood
Derwood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Derwood, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Derwood
Derwood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Derwood, MD
Other Options in Derwood, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Derwood
Review of AlfredHouse Needwood
AlfredHouse looked like a nice place, but they didn't offer apartment-sized rooms for my mother. They were a little short on amenities. There was a common room that was kind of a multipurpose room.... Read more
11 Signs It Might Be Time for Assisted Living
The decision to help an aging adult move out of a current home is a complex one -- both emotionally and practically. Above all, you want the person to be safe and well. How can you all feel more co...
Nursing Home, Assisted Living, or Independent Living?
The first step to finding the best senior housing for your loved one is to understand what type of care facility is the best fit. There are six main types of residential elder care options: _[Inde...
- Assisted Living or In-Home Care?
- Assisted Living Checklist: What to Look for, What to Ask
- Cost of Assisted Living
How to Pay for Assisted Living
As you're weighing senior care options for your loved one, cost is likely a top factor. The good news? Depending on what care your loved one needs, assisted living can be much more affordable than ...
How Levels of Care Affect Assisted Living Cost
If you're shopping for assisted living, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the levels of care, as the monthly rate for assisted living will depend on the level of care that the resident requi...
- Tips on Moving to Assisted Living