23 Assisted Living Facilities near Germantown, MD
Also serving communities of Montgomery Village, Clarksburg.
There are 23 Assisted Living Facilities in the Germantown area, with 4 in Germantown and 19 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Germantown is $5,596 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Gaithersburg with an average starting cost of $3,550.
To help you with your search, browse the 41 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Germantown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Germantown 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Ashburn with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Germantown, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Germantown, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Germantown
Germantown has many parks and trails that tempt residents to spend time outside. Senior gardeners may wish to indulge their green thumb at the South Germantown Recreational Park Community Gardens. The community is part of the Washington D.C. metropolitan area and is home to more than 86,000 people. Around 7% of residents are aged 65 and older, and there are 19 assisted living facilities in the area catering to this population. In Germantown, assisted living facilities are licensed and monitored by the Maryland Department of Health, Assisted Living Unit.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Germantown
- The Germantown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Holy Cross Germantown Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
BlackRock Center for the Arts offers senior art lovers in Germantown the opportunity to see live shows, peruse artworks and take classes to indulge their creativity. The community is also close to Washington D.C. and some facilities may arrange group visits to venues in the capital, such as the Smithsonian Museums.
- Montgomery County, including Germantown, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- In Maryland, Social Security benefits are exempt from state income tax, while income from non-public pensions is fully taxed. Money received from public pensions and retirement accounts is taxable, but a deduction is available to taxpayers aged 65 and over. Sales taxes in the state are lower than the national average, leaving more money for Germantown seniors to spend on assisted living.
- The State of the Air 2019 report gives Montgomery County, including Germantown, a D grade for ozone pollution and an A grade for 24-hour particle pollution. Seniors may wish to ask their healthcare providers about the health impacts of this mixed air quality.
- Germantown's overall crime rate is 16 crimes per 1,000 residents, which is noticeably lower than communities of a similar size throughout the country. The violent crime rate of 1.51 is 3.5 points lower than the Maryland rate, and the property crime rate is close to eight points lower than the state rate. This may reassure seniors who are concerned about their safety.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Germantown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Germantown start around $5,596 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Germantown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Germantown
Financial assistance may be available to Germantown seniors in small assisted living facilities with 4 - 16 people through Maryland's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy. The Community Options Waiver covers services received in any assisted living facility, small or large. The Optional State Supplement is also available to seniors who are eligible for Social Security payments, or who would be eligible except for income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Germantown
Germantown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Germantown, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Germantown
Germantown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Germantown, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Germantown
Review of Tribute at Black Hill
My dad will move into the Tribute at Black Hill. We've been there several times to move stuff into the unit. It's nice and new, looks like some nice amenities, and when we walk in during the day we... Read more
Review of Georges Assisted Living
When I went to visit M&A, the information that I was given was carried out through my sister's stay. She was treated very well. M&A treat their clients like family. I couldn't have picked ... Read more
Review of Georges Assisted Living
Georges Assisted Living is an absolutely beautiful community. What stood out to me was that the place was very open and inviting. The residents were engaged, talking to each other, and sitting in t... Read more