The Fairfax Fort Belvoir, VA

Reviews of The Fairfax

Assisted Living Reviews for The Fairfax

July 31, 2014

By Janice29

The Fairfax is definitely a 5. Their facilities were fantastic, the best out of everything I have seen so far. The people were very knowledgeable, but it was very, very pricey. Also for somebody like my mother-in-law who had basically lived in the country and not in the city, The Fairfax would be different for her because it was a whole different class of people. She would feel very uncomfortable there. It was for somebody who has lived in an upper middle class neighborhood and wants the services that they provide because they were fantastic. It was an upscale facility. They serve three meals a day and their selections were good. We're interested in a studio and they showed us around and they were good. They were very respectful of my time and my wishes rather than trying to sell me up, so I appreciated those.

May 30, 2012

By Ziko

The facility was really nice and it was a really big facility. There was a swimming pool inside, gym, small golf course outside and walking trail. Also I checked out the dinning room, which was really nice and well organized. all the staff and resident were really nice and friendly and they took good care of us. You could see that some of the residents who lived there enjoyed living there and most of them seemed happy. We sat down in the dining room and the food was great they had many different kind of drinks, food and deserts. The facility was very clean and I really enjoyed visiting the place. It was a great experience. I also forgot to mention that there was a big auditorium, where sometimes the residents would have movie nights on a big screen projector and concerts.

May 18, 2012

By Elise1

When walking into this facility, one can see where the money goes. They keep it extremely clean and provide services ranging from games to church services in the facility. The staff are constantly on call, however, did not appear to care about their jobs at hand. They were negligent to my great grandmother and, though the facility was nice, I would not recommend it to others. The fact that a door was heavy enough to break someone's arm is ridiculous, it should not be allowed ESPECIALLY in a retirement home.

Independent Living Reviews for The Fairfax

June 29, 2015

By Juanita8

My experience with The Fairfax was very good. We had a tour, and it was not just me; it was 50 of us. They had an open house, and it just so happened to coincide when I began looking. It was a lovely community. However, to be honest, it was very expensive, and if I had the finance that I needed, that would be my first choice. The rooms were beautiful and well kept. We went into 2 cottages and a couple of 3 or 4 apartments. Everything was very well kept. The grounds were very well kept. The employees were very caring. It was military affiliated. My husband was in the military, and I worked for 35 years in the military. So, it would be an atmosphere that I would be very comfortable in. They played bridge. They had a lake on the premises, which was very nice, and they had fishing tournaments. They had transportation to and from the military hospitals and the military facilities, which was also very nice. A lot of the activities were couple oriented, but I don't think that would preclude me from participating.

August 13, 2014

By Irina1

The Fairfax has every activity. They have swimming there. They have everything that you could ever think of. It's a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful facility and the people are extremely nice and very knowledgeable. They took me around. The staff was courteous, personable, and very nice.

March 16, 2014

By Also A Senior

My father was one of the charter members of the resident's Retirement Foundation. In 2002 he and my mother became residents after it became clear that his dementia was more the my mother could deal with. Initially, as long as Marriott Corporation was operating the facility, we were extremely pleased. However, after Sunrise took over and exercised tight financial restrictions, it became clear that the residents were enjoying poorer meals and fewer amenities. Nevertheless, the facility and its services remained above average compared to many other retirements communities. Over the past couple years, unfortunately, the residents have seen significant annual increases in thier monthly payments for maintaining their living quarters and significant degradation in the quality and variety of meals. It appears that they no longer have a competent chef to head the kitchen and now rely on an assortment of semitrained cooks. Meats are often over-cooked and dry, vegetables are either poorly prepared (They don't know to trim the ends of sugar snaps and show peas, for example) or under/over-done. Menu description s of dishes being servied are frequently attractive lies. Seasoning is a mystery to the cooks; there never is much. Dining service in the fairly elegant main dining room used to provide top restaurant-quality staff. Now residents must be careful that a server doesn't run them down in their rush to get back to the kitchen for a chat or smoke break. Courtesy and attentiveness is a thing of the past; although a tiny minority of staff are charming, watchful and extremely helpful. Still the range of residential accommodations is quite wide--from small one-bedrooms, to large suites with multiple rooms, and cottages. Virtually all have full kitchens, appropriate hardware for residents who have various physical challenges, and access to cable, internet and telephone (for additional fees). When a resident becomes unable to live indepently, The Fairfax does offer assisted living quarters and nursing care facilites for those who are ill and need more attention. I cannot address their quality because my mother is still living independently despite having very poor vision. The grounds are expansive and include a small fishing lake and a formal pond with fountains, gardens, a small putting green, and garden plots for resident with green thumbs. The staff, aside from some of the dining servers, are a very pleasant group who try to offer residents the services they need. The concierge is central to steering residents and visitors in the right direction. To be fair I have to give the residential facilities and services a 4-star rating, but the dining service is a serious detractor, deserving barely 2 stars. The Fairfax (i.e., Sunrise) management has apparently not learned that having a qualified chef running the kitchen and an experienced maitre di' managing the dining room will save money and improve resident satisfaction.

We're sorry to hear your dining experience has been a negative one. We take your comments very seriously and would like more information if possible. Please contact information@sunriseseniorliving.com with your contact info and we’ll be in touch. Thanks, The Sunrise Team

January 31, 2014

By Housatonic

I have several issues that I need to resolve and have been unable to get any answers or call backs from any voice mails my brother resided there and has been moved to Massachusetts to be closer to family. I have questions that need to be addressed for my knowledge and the Facility he has moved to. I am frustrated and upset by the disrespect of not paying any attention to my needs. I would not at this time give a good review of this place SueBonak

We're sorry to hear you had this negative experience and we would like to get in touch with you immediately. Please contact information@sunriseseniorliving.com with your contact information. Thanks, The Sunrise Team

November 20, 2012

By 043

In general, I highly rate this facility. The staff appear to be taking good care of my father and speak highly of him. He looks health and happy. My biggest problem so far is the lack of accountability for his posessions. Right now I'm dealing with his missing $2000 wheelchair and before that his hearing aids disappeared. Depending on how my inquiry into the missing wheelchair proceeds tomorrow, I may revise my opinion downward. There is also an inability of the staff to use email effectively and they can't seem to get the ocassional form to me when needed. The is the community at which he and his late wife wanted to finish their lives, so I am trying to keep an open mind with regard to their efficiency.

June 29, 2012

By susankeel

The Fairfax is a generally nice place; it's divided into assisted living apartments, which are small but allow residents to have their own furniture, and a more intensive care section, where the atmosphere is more like a hospital but patients are still allowed small pieces of furniture, like bureaus and chairs, and keepsakes. The facilities are always lavishly decorated for the holidays, and residents in both sections often decorate their doors with wreaths or mats. A large cage in the lobby held songbirds the last time I was there, and during Christmas, there's a tree, menorah, and other holiday material on every floor. There are ample parking spots in the lot, and the facility provides a bus to take residents shopping and to church. There is at least one resident cat, and a very nice restaurant on-site. The place doesn't smell like antiseptic or like being in a hospital, although when moving to the more intensive care wing, people are asked to use some hand sanitizer to prevent transmission of disease. There appear to be ample programs to engage residents; although, being that the facility is located on a busy road with bad traffic, they may be the only activities available to older people who are less confident in their driving.

Photos of The Fairfax

Services and Amenities of The Fairfax

• Pool

• Nurse On Staff: Available During Business Hours

• Minimum Age: Minimum Age 55

About The Fairfax

The Fairfax is an independent living and assisted living community in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, offering both Alzheimer's care and skilled nursing. The Fairfax opened in 1989 for the non-profit Army Retirement Residence Foundation-Potomac (ARRF-P). It offers an ideal lifestyle to retired officers of the U.S. Uniformed Services, CIA, FBI, Foreign Service, and others with a close career relationship to the military. The most recent addition to The Fairfax is the newly renovated Health Care Center, which provides assisted living, memory care assisted living, and skilled nursing and rehabilitation services.

The beautiful 60-acre campus is located at the edge of Fort Belvoir, Virginia, offering golf courses, commissary, PXs, Officers Clubs, and more. On the Fairfax grounds, residents enjoy walking trails, a seven-acre stocked lake, tennis courts, a putting green, and driving cage. The independent living options offered include 347 apartments ranging from one to three bedrooms and thirty-five cottages.

The Fairfax offers a comprehensive life care environment, including the Pathways to Fitness and Wellness program, which offers aquatics, aerobics, weight training, and other classes designed to meet the needs of residents interested in improving and maintaining their fitness level.

Well-behaved pets are welcome, too!

Map of The Fairfax