With its comfortable year-round temperatures, unique cultural amenities and beautiful beaches, it’s no surprise that Fort Myers consistently ranks among the best places in the country to retire. Here, those aged 65 and over account for 22% of the 87,000-person population. To support this growing community, the city is home to several high-performing hospitals such as Lee Memorial Hospital and Gulf Coast Medical Center, both of which feature specialties relevant to older adults. The city also features a variety of senior care options, including assisted living facilities, nursing homes and home health care agencies.

Nursing home care features around-the-clock supervision, personal care and skilled nursing services. In Fort Myers, this level of care costs $8,730 per month for a semiprivate room, which is considerably higher than the national average. While nursing home level care is appropriate for some seniors, many receive similar services through home care and assisted living at a more affordable monthly rate.

In this guide, we highlight the cost of nursing home care in Fort Myers and discuss how it compares to this level of care in nearby cities and other types of senior care. We also give an overview of some of the local programs available to seniors to help them avoid or delay nursing home placement or to pay for services when care is necessary.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Fort Myers, FL

2014

Calusa Harbour

2525 First Street, Fort Myers, FL, 33901

Situated on the waterfront in Fort Myers, Florida, Calusa Harbour offers the choice between independent and assisted living as well as licensed nursing care. With stunning views right outside the door … (read more)

The Arbor at Shell Point

15071 Shell Point Blvd, Fort Myers, FL, 33908

My mother moved in Shell Point Larsen Pavilion in August of 2006 and died in December of 2010. My father and I liked them very much and I give them two thumbs up. We thought they did a good job. They … (read more)

Signature Healthcare of College Park

13755 Golf Club Pkwy., Fort Myers, FL, 33919

Five stars for caring, responsible staff. They all are remarkably responsive to my needs and wants. When I came here, I was in need of a great deal of care. The staff’s responses to my particular need … (read more)

Citrus Gardens of Fort Myers

7173 Cypress Drive Southwest, Fort Myers, FL, 33907

This is a great facility, very clean with amazing staff, very professional therapy team and caring nurses, also the activities are fun and entertaining.

Gulf Coast Medical Center Skilled Nursing Unit

13960 Plantation Road, Fort Myers, FL, 33912

The Gulf Coast Medical Center Skilled Nursing Unit was the first place my brother went to after he came out of the hospital. He was in the hospital for six weeks and he went to The Gulf Coast rehab. T … (read more)

The Preserve

14750 Hope Center Loop, Fort Myers, FL, 33912

My dad is in The Preserve. He’s only been there during the COVID, so basically I can’t go in any farther than the front door, but doing everything sort of by remote, by telephone call and stuff. They … (read more)

Page Rehabilitation And Healthcare Center

2310 N Airport Road, Fort Myers, FL, 33907

Long story short….the minute I stepped in I could see how rundown and filthy this place was …the smell was unbelievable,i continued down to find my mother,and I find her in a room where a lady nex … (read more)

Healthpark Care Center, Inc

16131 Roserush Court, Fort Myers, FL, 33908

When this woman was first admitted she had a crossdresser ( man ) checking her body for cuts or bruises. How creepy is that. On a more positive note Brandy was a shining star among many nurses who are … (read more)

Evans Health Care

3735 Evans Ave, Fort Myers, FL, 33901

My mother is in Evans Health Care. It’s been okay so far. It’s been fine. She has no complaints about the food. She seemed to be okay in her room. She received therapy when she first came in, but she’ … (read more)

ProMedica Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation

13881 Eagle Ridge Drive , Fort Myers, FL, 33912

ProMedica is a rehab and a nursing home. We were hoping we could get my brother into the nursing facility that they have, but they said he did not qualify. He stayed there for a good month. We had som … (read more)

Consulate Health Care Of North Fort Myers

991 Pondella Road, Fort Myers, FL, 33903

I have a sister in your care. I called teice to see how she is doing. Got an answer the first time. My younger sister has been talking to the nurse Sherry who is taking care ov my sister who has contr … (read more)

Heritage Park Rehabilitation and Healthcare

2826 Cleveland Avenue, Fort Myers, FL, 33901

Sad sad sad place. Find another facility. Executive Director is gone. Director of Nursing is gone. Director of Physical Therapy is gone. All within a short time. Now they have failed the State … (read more)

Winkler Court

3250 Winkler Extension, Fort Myers, FL, 33916

The entire place is very dirty and not clean.. The Board of Health needs check to this place Missing clothes and blankets that I brought in are gone

Heartland Health Care Center Fort Myers

1600 Matthew Drive , Fort Myers, FL, 33907

My father was there 6 days and I had to get him out of there. The rehab technicians were very good and did work with my father with care and the exercises were good with what he was able to do physic … (read more)

Lodge At Cypress Cove, The

10500 Cypress Cove Dr, Fort Myers, FL, 33908

Shady Rest Care Pavilion

2310 NORTH AIRPORT RD, Fort Myers, FL, 33907

Lee Memorial Hospital Skilled Nursing Unit

2776 Cleveland Avenue, Fort Myers, FL, 33901

Gulf Coast Village

1333 SANTA BARBARA BLVD, Cape Coral, FL, 33991

Gulf Coast Village is located in Cape Coral, Florida, only a few blocks away from many parks, shops and restaurants. Visitors and residents proudly state that the facility is spacious, clean and well- … (read more)

Coral Trace Health Care

216 SANTA BARBARA BLVD, Cape Coral, FL, 33991

The staff’s total lack of empathy and complete disregard for it’s patients is beyond reprehensible. I implore you to seek alternative options if you are looking for a rehab/nursing facility for you … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Fort Myers, Florida

In Fort Myers, nursing home semiprivate rooms cost $8,730 per month. A private room is nearly 10% more per month, at $9,566.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Nursing home cost data for Fort Myers is calculated into the average for the Cape Coral Area and comes in at $8,730 per month for semiprivate rooms. Using the cost for semiprivate rooms as comparison points, the Fort Myers region is about $60 per month more expensive than Florida as a whole for nursing home care and almost $1,000 more expensive than the monthly national median. Several cities in Florida have more affordable care, including the capital city of Tallahassee at $7,543 per month and Sebring at $7,452. In Miami and Naples, fees are considerably higher at $9,095 and $10,391, respectively.

$8730

Sebring Area

$7543

Tallahassee

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

While nursing home care is suitable for those who need 24-hour nursing, seniors who need a lesser degree of care may save money by choosing another option. Assisted living facilities, which may administer or contract with a third party to provide short-term or intermittent skilled nursing services, are considerably cheaper at $4,500 monthly. For seniors who prefer to live at home, home health care, which includes some skilled nursing services along with personal care and housekeeping, is also relatively affordable at $4,767 per month. Home care features personal care in the senior’s home for $4,576 per month, and adult day services are the most affordable option at $1,625 per month.

$4576

Adult Day Health Care

$4500

Assisted Living

$8730

Nursing Home (Semiprivate Room)

$9566

Nursing Home (Private Room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Fort Myers, Florida

Free Resources for Seniors in Fort Myers, Florida

Fort Myers has several programs and organizations that help seniors find financial assistance for nursing home care or obtain services to delay or avoid placement in a skilled nursing facility. The following resources are available to seniors who need skilled nursing or would benefit from supports such as home-delivered meals and personal care services.

Resource Contact  Service
Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida (239) 652-6900 Fort Myers seniors are served by the Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida, a nonprofit agency that administers programs and services to enhance seniors’ independence and quality of life. The agency provides services such as personal care, home-delivered and congregate meals, transportation and referrals for local programs. Its long-term care ombudsman advocates on behalf of those in nursing homes.
Meals on Wheels (239) 332-7687 The local Meals on Wheels program is available to those aged 60 and over or those who are under 60 and chronically ill or disabled. Meals may be delivered on a short-term basis while the individual recovers from an injury or surgery or long-term if it enables them to continue living safely at home. The organization also provides food and care for pets.
Lee County Human & Veteran Services (239) 533-7930 Fort Myers seniors have access to a variety of services through the county, including assistance with utility and housing payments and information and referral services for prescription drug programs, home-delivered meals and affordable housing. The department also helps veterans access state and federal VA benefits, including those that may cover assisted living or nursing home care such as the VA Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits.
SHINE (800) 963-5337 The statewide SHINE program provides free Medicare options counseling for those aged 65 and over. It’s staffed by volunteer counselors who are trained to answer questions about benefits available through Medicare, Medicaid and long-term care insurance, which may help seniors identify ways to cover nursing home expenses. Services are available over the phone or by attending local enrollment events.