Heartland Health Care Center Fort Myers

Reviews of Heartland Health Care Center Fort Myers

Nursing Home Reviews for Heartland Health Care Center Fort Myers

March 09, 2012

By Bella M.

My mother was a resident at this nursing home for approximately a month. She hated the time she spent there and her condition deteriorated during her stay. I am not saying that her condition would not have deteriorated anyway, but I do not think the stay there helped in any way. I often found her seated in a wheelchair in the "sitting area", just sitting there with no one talking to her or assisting her in any way. I never witnessed and I am not implying that she was physically abused in any way; instead, I think there was just a general lack of adequate attention and care paid to her and other patients. I visited my mother just about every day after work and kept asking the nurses how she was doing and they kept telling me that she was improving. I finally decided to visit on a Saturday morning to see whether I was not observing the improvement because my visits were generally in the evening when she was tired. I found her with her foot caught in the bedrail. When I located a nurse and asked her to assist my mother, she did so; however, the nurse still insisted that my mother's condition was improving despite the fact that I could see no improvement.Therefore, I asked the nurse to check my mother's oxygen level. It turned out to be so low that the nurse checked to see whether the instrument was functioning properly. The result was that my mother ended up being transported to the hospital where she died several days later. Please note that my mother was already quite ill when she went to Heartland so I am not implying that they contributed to her death. I am merely stating that the staff seemed unaware of her condition and that she would not have been transported when she was if I had not demanded that she be checked. The reason I kept asking about her condition is because she seemed to be declining and I was expecting that they would acknowledge that and not provide false hope by saying she was improving. I do not think that the staff provides adequate care to the residents who are basically bedridden. If your family member is ambulatory and has no cognitive issues so they can basically look out for themselves and are aware of what is going on, then their experience might be different. However, few nursing home patients (as oppposed to assisted living facility residents) fall into that category. Most of them need significant assistance and are on medications that can alter their awareness levels. For these patients, I would not trust my relative to Heartland Health Care Center if I had a choice.

About Heartland Health Care Center Fort Myers

Heartland Health Care Center Fort Myers is a senior living provider in Fort Myers, Florida that offers residents Nursing Homes. Contact Heartland Health Care Center Fort Myers for more details on services and rates.

Map of Heartland Health Care Center Fort Myers