5 Assisted Living Facilities in Marion, OH
Also serving communities of Mount Gilead.
The average cost of assisted living in Marion is $2,518 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,595.
To help you with your search, browse the 28 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Marion. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Marion 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bucyrus with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Marion, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Marion, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Marion
Marion, population approximately 36,000, is located in north-central Ohio about 50 miles north of Columbus and is the seat of Marion County. Once the residence of President Warren G. Harding, the city is also home to several historic properties, including Harding Tomb, the burial location of the 29th President of the United States and First Lady Florence Kling Harding. Senior history buffs can tour the museum at Harding Home, a Queen-Anne-style house Harding and his future wife designed in 1890, a year before their marriage, and in which they lived in for 30 years.
Approximately 14% of Marion’s residents are aged 65 and older. To make it easier for its elderly population to age in place comfortably, Marion offers five assisted living communities. These facilities are called residential care facilities (RCFs) in Ohio, and the Ohio Department of Health licenses and inspects them.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Marion
- Seniors living in Marion do not pay state income tax on Social Security retirement benefits. Ohio also provides four tax credits for retirees and does not impose estate or inheritance taxes.
- The Marion area is home to world-class medical facilities, including OhioHealth Marion General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Marion has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Marion Senior Center, which offers a variety of dance and exercise classes, crafts projects, hot lunches and travel opportunities.
- The city of Marion provides seniors with plentiful cultural opportunities such as performing arts and concerts at The Ohio State University’s Marion campus and the historic Marion Palace Theater.
- Retirees on limited incomes enjoy an overall cost of living in Marion that’s about 30% lower than the U.S. average. Seniors pay less for groceries, health care and transportation in Marion, helping them stretch their dollars further.
- Although Marion’s violent crime score of 15.8 out of 100 is lower than the national average of 22.7, the city’s property crime rate is higher. Marion scores 50.4, higher than the U.S. average of 35.4, suggesting seniors should ensure any assisted living community under consideration is equipped with a state-of-the-art security system.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Marion
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Marion start around $2,185 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Marion and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Marion
To help Medicaid-eligible seniors in Marion cover some of the care costs incurred in assisted living facilities, Ohio offers an Assisted Living Waiver Program. Financial aid is provided for meals, personal care, housekeeping and medication management, but residents must use their own resources to pay for room and board expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Marion
Marion and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Marion, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Marion
Marion-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Marion, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Marion
Review of The Wyndmoor Marion
I visited The Wyndmoor Marion. They have very friendly staff, it's clean, and they're building new rooms so that attracted me. The staff there was helpful. They have a whirlpool tub for the communi... Read more
Review of Kingston Residence of Marion
We liked the different room level availability at Kingston Residence of Marion, and the reputation they have for the quality of food. The rooms were very well maintained and very nice, and the hous... Read more
Review of Primrose Retirement Community of Marion
My brother is at Primrose Retirement Community of Marion. It's been a long time that he's been there. He went there before I was appointed as trustee over his affairs. The place is fine. It's accep... Read more