3 Assisted Living Facilities in Red Wing, MN
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Red Wing, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Red Wing, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Red Wing
Situated in Goodhue County along a bend in the Mississippi River, Red Wing, Minnesota is a port stop for riverboats and home to over 16,000 people, 20% of whom are at least 65 years old. Active area seniors can walk the many nature trails in the area, and there are three assisted living facilities in town to cater to seniors who need assistance with the activities of daily living. These communities are regulated by the Minnesota Department of Health, which checks that facilities provided the necessary staff training and resident care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Red Wing
- Seniors in Red Wing and the rest of Minnesota pay state income tax on Social Security income and retirement pensions. However, military pensions are exempt and if a senior's entire income comes from Social Security, there are no state income taxes due.
- Red Wing's violent crime of 15.8 is about 7% below the national average and its property crime of 42.6 is about 7% about the U.S. average. This may spur seniors to ask about security protocols, such as surveillance cameras and secure exits, in place at each facility.
- Based on a national baseline of 100, Red Wing's cost of living falls 5.6% below the average for the country and more than 9% below the state average. This is good news for seniors, who can save on health and transportation costs.
- With an annual average temperature range of 5 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit, Red Wing has frigid winters and moderate summers. The sun shines overhead 184 days a year compared to 205 days for the national average. Families of seniors in assisted living facilities should ensure that proper precautions are taken to keep residents warm during extreme weather.
- Red Wing's air quality of 65 compares favorably with the U.S. average of 58, but its water quality of 13 is much lower than the national average of 55, which might be a concern to seniors considering a move to a Red Wing assisted living facility.
- The Red Wing area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mayo Clinic, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Red Wing
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Red Wing start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Red Wing and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Red Wing
In Red Wing and all of Minnesota, seniors may be eligible for Medicaid programs such as the Elderly Waiver. For medically needy seniors that don't meet the income guidelines, the program may also be an option.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Red Wing
Red Wing and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Red Wing, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Red Wing
Red Wing-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.