10 Assisted Living Facilities in Rochester, MN
Also serving communities of Eyota, Plainview, St Charles.
The average cost of assisted living in Rochester is $2,895 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 27 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Rochester. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Rochester 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lake City with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Rochester, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Rochester
Rochester considers itself a "City of Compassion," and was the first American city to be named an Intercultural City by the Council of Europe for embracing its diverse population, 14 percent of which consists of seniors age 65 and older.
Seniors in the Rochester area have 10 assisted living facilities (ALFs) to choose from. These facilities, also known as housing services, provide 24-hour supervision and help seniors with activities of daily living. In Minnesota, the licensing and regulation of ALFs are governed by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Rochester
- The cost of living in Rochester is only 1.1 percent higher than the national average. This may be a good option for Minnesota seniors looking to save a little money.
- Rochester is a historic downtown area best known as the home of the Mayo Clinic. There are dozens of museums to visit downtown in addition to the symphony, library and sculpture garden. Local facilities may offer day trips in town to visit some of these sites.
- Seniors and their loved ones may appreciate the low rate of violent crime in Rochester. This city ranked 14.2 out of 100 (1 is safest) compared to the U. S. average of 31.1. The property crime rate is also lower than the national average.
- Rochester receives about 49 inches of snow per year, which is much higher than the U. S. average of 26 inches. While July's average temperatures reach a high of 81 degrees Fahrenheit, January has a cold average low of 6 degrees Fahrenheit. This may make it difficult for some seniors to stay active throughout the year.
- The American Lung Association gave Olmsted County an excellent ozone pollution grade of A and a particle pollution 24-hour score of C. This means seniors with severe respiratory illnesses could occasionally have trouble in this area.
- The Rochester area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Mayo Clinic Hospital, Saint Mary's Campus, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Rochester
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Rochester start around $2,895 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Rochester and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Rochester
Minnesota seniors in need of financial aid for assisted living costs may be covered through Medical Assistance (MA), the state's Medicaid option. In addition to this plan, Medicaid offers three waiver programs. Seniors who are not qualified for Medicaid may be able to receive funding through another state program such as the Minnesota Consumer Support Grant (CSG).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Rochester
Rochester and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Rochester, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Rochester
Rochester-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Rochester, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Rochester
Review of Charter House - Mayo Clinic Retirement Living
Charter House was really good. They have a lot of activities. They have residents moving in and they're younger. The apartments were very nice. They will remodel it for you and put in new flooring.... Read more
Review of Shorewood Commons Assisted Living
Shorewood Commons Assisted Living was a three-story and elongated with different sections. The rooms were excellent. Right behind was a nice large pond-like lake. It's an excellent place. If I were... Read more
Review of River Bend Senior Living
We enjoyed our visit with River Bend Senior Living. It's in a really nice place and it's visited quite often by doctors from Mayo Clinic. It's a great place. They had a lot of activities, clubs, gy... Read more