3 Assisted Living Facilities near Preston, MN
Also serving communities of Harmony, Chatfield, Mabel, Spring Grove, Le Roy.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Preston area, with 2 in Preston and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Preston is $1,837 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Preston. Better rated regions include Caledonia with an average rating of 2.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Preston, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Preston, MN
1 Assisted Living Facility near Preston, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Preston
Located in the most southern part of the state, Preston, Minnesota, is known as America's Trout Capital. The Root River runs through the town, and the area is ideal for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors. Out of the town's small population of nearly 360, 5% are seniors aged 65 and older. To accommodate these individuals, Preston has two facilities with another assisted living community nearby.
These group homes are licensed and regulated by the Minnesota Department of Health, ensuring adequate nutrition and medical care are given, and staff are present 24 hours a day to help with the needs of each resident.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Preston
Preston's cost of living, at 89, is lower than the U.S. average, which is calculated at a baseline of 100, and housing costs are significantly lower at 75. Lower housing costs can help make costs for assisted living facilities less, too, which may be helpful for seniors on a budget.
- The climate in Preston is characterized by short, mild summers, with July highs in the low 80s, and cold, snowy winters have January lows in the single digits. For seniors with health conditions aggravated by excessive cold, this may not be a welcome respite.
- Preston is a relatively secure community for seniors, with violent crime rates at 6.5, which is well below the national average of 22.7. Property crimes are also low in Preston at 12.7 compared to 35.4 in the U.S.
- The Preston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Olmstead Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Preston residents have access to the Semac public transport service, Rolling Hills Transit buses, which offers senior rates and convenient on-call rides.
- Minnesota levies a state income tax on Social Security income and retirement pensions, with the exclusion of military pensions. This may be something Preston seniors may need to consider when budgeting for assisted living. However, if their only income is from Social Security, then they will be exempt from the state income tax.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Preston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Preston start around $1,837 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Preston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Preston
Seniors who meet income guidelines may be eligible for the Minnesota Medicaid Elderly Waiver to help offset the costs of assisted living. Seniors who are deemed medically needy but are above the income cap may also be eligible.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Preston
Preston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Preston, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Preston
Preston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.