10 Assisted Living Facilities near Onalaska, WI
Also serving communities of Holmen, Sparta.
There are 10 Assisted Living Facilities in the Onalaska area, with 4 in Onalaska and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Onalaska is $3,945 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include La Crosse with an average starting cost of $3,695.
To help you with your search, browse the 35 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Onalaska. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Onalaska 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include La Crosse with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Onalaska, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Onalaska, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Onalaska
Surrounded by the natural beauty of the blufflands, Onalaska is located in La Crosse County, often referred to as God's Country. Of its nearly 19,000 residents, 18.6% are aged 65 and older, and may be considering transitioning to an assisted living facility.
Throughout Wisconsin assisted living facilities are separated into four categorizations depending on the level of care offered: community-based residential facilities (CBRFs), residential care apartment complexes (RCACs), adult family homes and adult day care. Eight of these facilities are available in Onalaska and nearby La Crosse, all of which are regulated by the Department of Health Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Onalaska
- Onalaska has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Onalaska Community Center, an organization that offers 55+ Programs, such as hot meals, bus trips, game days, adult exercise classes and senior-focused workshops.
- While Onalaska is served by the MTU bus service, routes are limited to select communities. However, residents do have access to the Onalaska/Holmen/West Salem Public Transit (OHWSPT), which is a local shared taxi service that offers door-to-door transportation, with reduced rates for seniors aged 65 and older.
- Low grocery and transportation costs help make Onalaska an affordable option for seniors on a fixed budget. At 98.4, the cost of living is slightly more affordable than the typical American city, which averages an index rating of 100.
- Onalaska's harsh winters could be a deterrent for seniors who enjoy outdoor activities. Winter temperatures can fall to just 8 degrees, and the area expects to see 41 inches of snow each year.
- With low rates of violent crime, seniors can explore Onalaska with peace of mind. The city scores 8.5 on a scale to 100, with 100 representing high crime, compared to the U.S. national average of 22.7.
- The air in La Crosse County is considered the cleanest out of all Wisconsin metropolitan areas, which could benefit seniors with existing respiratory conditions. The American Lung Association gives the area an A rating in terms of both ozone levels and particle pollution.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Onalaska
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Onalaska start around $3,945 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Onalaska and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Onalaska
Both the Medicaid State Plan and non-Medicaid state-funded programs are available to help seniors in Onalaska cover the cost of an assisted living facility. Wisconsin hosts a self-directed elder program, IRIS (Include, Respect, I Self-Direct) and offers help with room and board costs through Supplemental Security Income exceptional expense (SSI-E) payments.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Onalaska
Onalaska and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Onalaska, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Onalaska
Onalaska-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Onalaska, WI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Onalaska
Review of Spring Brook Assisted Living
Spring Brook Assisted Living is a facility for loss of memory also. We're down close to the humane society of Alaska, so we see a lot of wildlife down here too, and we have a pond. We have activiti... Read more
Review of Spring Brook Assisted Living
Spring Brook Assisted Living is wonderful, but it's too big, with over a hundred residents. It was an excellent tour. The staff is excellent, the rooms were more of an apartment, with a stove, a re... Read more
Review of Brookdale Onalaska
Brookdale Onalaska is excellent because it's very small, and they pay attention to what's going on with my mother, and they report to me everything that happens. She's been there at assisted living... Read more