10 Assisted Living Facilities near La Crosse, WI
Also serving communities of Stoddard, Viroqua, Viroqua.
There are 10 Assisted Living Facilities in the La Crosse area, with 6 in La Crosse and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in La Crosse is $3,695 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 36 reviews below for assisted living facilities in La Crosse. On average, consumers rate assisted living in La Crosse 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Holmen with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in La Crosse, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in La Crosse, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in La Crosse
La Crosse, ranked one of the best places to live in 2014 by Outside magazine, lies along the Mississippi River in La Crosse County, Wisconsin. The area is home to a population of just under 52,000 of which 13.2 percent are over 65. Seniors here can choose from four assisted living facilities within city limits and five in the surrounding areas. These communities are called Community-Based Residential Facilities (CBRFs) and are licensed by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in La Crosse
- La Crosse has a wealth of entertainment options for seniors, including the Pump House Regional Arts Center, the Weber Center for the Performing Arts, the Dahl Auto Museum and Riverside Museum. The City of La Crosse Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department schedules day trips and classes for seniors.
- The cost of living in La Crosse is 10.6 percent lower than the U.S. average, which makes it an affordable option for seniors. Health-care costs are slightly above average, but groceries and transportation come in below national medians.
- La Crosse has a continental climate with hot summers and cold winters. Temperatures can dip to lows of 9 degrees in winter, and snowfall is above average at 42 inches per year. This may make getting outdoors difficult for seniors. Summers reach highs of around 83 degrees in June, and rainfall averages 34 inches annually.
- Wisconsin is considered a retirement tax-friendly state as it does not tax Social Security benefits or other retirement income such as pensions. This leaves seniors more money in their budget to put toward assisted living costs.
- Violent crime is fairly low in La Crosse, scoring a 20.9 out of 100 (high crime), so seniors can feel safe traveling around town. Property crime is higher, with a score of 45.6.
Paying for Assisted Living in La Crosse
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in La Crosse start around $3,695 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in La Crosse and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in La Crosse
Seniors in La Crosse who are looking for financial aid for assisted living may apply to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services’ Family Care program, which helps cover services for personal and medical care. Seniors who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) may also apply for the Exceptional Expense Supplement, a program that provides a monthly subsidy for supportive services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in La Crosse
La Crosse and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in La Crosse, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in La Crosse
La Crosse-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in La Crosse
Review of Brookdale La Crosse (AL)
Brookdale La Crosse was very lovely. I liked it a lot. The staff was friendly, open, and busy. It's a nice location with nice grounds, green with a few trees, and very inviting. I asked some of the... Read more
Review of The Willows
Love The Willows. My father is there now but, unfortunately we are running out of funds to keep him on there, It is $3300.00 per month for rent, food and lowest level of medical help. This facilit... Read more
Review of Brookdale La Crosse (AL)
Brookdale La Crosse (formerly Sterling House of LaCrosse) was able to fit my father's needs. He wanted to bring his dog, so that was a big reason we chose this place, plus it's in the area he is fa... Read more