7 Assisted Living Facilities near Winona, MN
Also serving communities of Lewiston.
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Winona area, with 6 in Winona and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Winona is $3,560 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 12 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Winona. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Winona 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Holmen with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Winona, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Winona, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Winona
Winona, a picturesque city in the southeastern region of Minnesota, is home to Sugar Loaf, a bluff on the Mississippi River that is topped with a large rock pinnacle. The Winona area is home to 11 assisted living facilities, with seven in the city and four located throughout the surrounding region. Assisted living facilities in Winona must register annually with the Department of Health, and they provide a range of both supportive and health-related services for one or more residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Winona
- Winona rates 46 out of 100 on Sperling's Comfort Index, compared to the national average of 54. This is primarily due to the plunging winter temperatures and amount of snow the region receives. The average January low is 8 degrees, and the city sees about 34 inches of snow annually. Summer temperatures are mild, however, with July highs in the low-80s, giving seniors plenty of opportunities to enjoy area amenities.
- The cost of living in Winona is about 12 percent below the national average, making this an affordable city for seniors. While housing is the biggest factor affecting the overall cost of living, seniors can also expect to spend about 5 percent less on groceries, 2 percent less on health care and transportation and 4 percent less on miscellaneous expenses than they would elsewhere.
- The overall crime rate in Winona is a little higher than both the state and national averages, but it’s important to note that this is primarily due to the relatively high rate of property crime, which is 32 percent higher than the state average and 11 percent higher than the national average. When it comes to violent crime, the rate is actually 30 percent below the state average and 56 percent lower than the national average.
- City bus service in Winona is provided courtesy of Winona Transit Service, which operates four routes throughout the city. Seniors can receive a discount on single-way fare and monthly passes. Those who are unable to use the city bus service may be eligible to take advantage of the city’s dial-a-ride service.
- The Winona area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Winona Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Winona has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Friendship Program of Rice County, an organization that provides companionship and support for adults at least 55 years of age, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Winona
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Winona start around $3,965 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Winona and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Winona
Winona seniors may be eligible to receive financial help for assisted living through one of several Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver programs, along with Minnesota’s Consumer Support Grant program, which provides a cash grant for seniors that can be put toward the cost of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Winona
Winona and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Winona, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Winona
Winona-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Winona
Review of Senior Living at Watkins
The people at Senior Living at Watkins were very friendly and their helpfulness was second to none. The facility was immaculate and the services they provided were outstanding. They provided meals,... Read more
Review of Adith Miller Manor
My visit to Adith Miller Manor was good. The place seemed well-maintained and good aesthetic-wise. The staff accommodated us fine and there were no issues. They have full services and amenities, th... Read more
Review of Roger Metz Manor
I like Roger Metz Manor, and I think it's a nicer place than others I have visited. I also like that they have single rooms available. The community is right on a park, it's clean, and its got a gr... Read more