24 Assisted Living Facilities near Altoona, WI
There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Altoona area, with 3 in Altoona and 21 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Altoona is $4,900 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,346. Cheaper nearby regions include Eau Claire with an average starting cost of $4,249.
To help you with your search, browse the 47 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Altoona. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Altoona 3.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Eau Claire with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Altoona, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Altoona, WI
21 Assisted Living Facilities near Altoona, WI
Assisted Living near Altoona, WI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Altoona
Review of Oak Gardens Place
Oak Gardens Place was okay, but we didnt choose it because it was larger, and they didnt have any openings. The staff seemed very friendly and helpful. The activities were similar to most of the ... Read more
Review of Oak Gardens Place
Oak Gardens Place was fine. The staff was good. The lady who gave us the tour was very friendly. However, the place wasn't a good fit for my dad. They did have an elevator, but the stairs were open... Read more
Review of Oak Gardens Place
From the outside, Oak Gardens has a very nice appearance. The facility is fairly new with a nice lawn and surrounding neighborhood. Upon entering Oak Gardens, I was shocked that there were no staff... Read more
Assisted Living near Eau Claire County, WI
More Options Near Altoona, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Altoona
Altoona is a small eastern suburb of Eau Claire, resting against the southern shore of Lake Altoona, an amoeba-shaped recreational area. Home to just 7,680 people, over 15.5 percent of Altoona's residents are seniors age 65 and over. For seniors who need an assisted living facility, there are three in Altoona and about 20 others in surrounding areas.
Assisted living communities in Altoona, as in the rest of the state, are licensed and inspected by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services Bureau of Assisted Living Division of Quality Assurance.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Altoona
- The weather in Altoona is typical of central Wisconsin. The area has warm summers with highs of 83 degrees in July, while frigid winters average overnight lows of just five degrees in January. Summer brings 31 inches of rain to the area, and winter drops around 47 inches of snow.
- The cost of living in Altoona ranks 93 out of 100, with 100 being the U.S. national average. Wisconsin averages 98 to 99 out of 100 by comparison. Healthcare can be significantly more expensive in Altoona, with costs 8 percent higher than national averages.
- Crime rates in Altoona have been falling in a steep decline since at least 2003 when the rate of all crimes combined was only half the national rate. By 2017, even this rate had fallen to just 5 percent the national average for all categories. Altoona tends to go several years between violent crimes, and the local property crime rates are exceptionally low.
- Public transportation in Altoona is provided by Eau Claire Transit, the main bus provider for Eau Claire County. This service runs scheduled routes to the Altoona shoreline area and offers dial-a-ride services with advance booking. Seniors age 60 and above may ride scheduled routes at a discount with valid ID.
- The Altoona area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as OakLeaf Surgical Hospital and HSHS St. Joseph's Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Altoona has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Family Caregiver Support Program, an organization that provides respite care and Alzheimer's diagnosis and support services to Altoona seniors, as well as multiple senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Altoona
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Altoona start around $4,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Altoona and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Altoona
Altoona seniors who meet the federal income and asset guidelines for low-income citizens may be able to get help paying for some of the cost of assisted living through Wisconsin Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Altoona
Altoona and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Altoona, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Altoona
Altoona-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.