21 Assisted Living Facilities near Owatonna, MN
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the Owatonna area, with 9 in Owatonna and 12 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Owatonna is $3,682 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 29 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Owatonna. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Owatonna 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Faribault with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Owatonna, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Owatonna, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Owatonna
Founded in 1854, Owatonna is a city of approximately 25,000 in southern Minnesota. Downtown Owatonna is designated a National Register Historic District, and beyond the city center, Owatonna's Parks and Recreation department offers a network of destinations for outdoor activity, as well as SeniorPlace, a leisure and recreational resource for local seniors that is managed by the department.
Owatonna seniors comprise over 15 percent of the city's population. Local seniors looking for assisted living options may choose from seven facilities within the city and an additional 25 in surrounding communities. The licensing and regulation of Minnesota facilities is officially overseen by the Minnesota Department of Health's Home Care and Assisted Living Program.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Owatonna
- While Owatonna's July temperatures average a pleasant 82 degrees, its winters can be cold, with January lows falling to six degrees. These temperatures, combined with above-average snowfall levels, can pose difficulties to mobility-challenged seniors.
- Owatonna's crime rate is lower than the national median for both violent and property crimes. The city's violent crime rate also falls below the Minnesota state average.
- Southern Minnesota Area Rural Transit (SMART) is the city's public transit option. SMART's bus network serves Owatonna and nearby communities, and a senior rate on monthly passes is available to those aged 55 and over.
- A variety of cultural offerings in Owatonna could be of interest to local facilities looking to plan excursions, including the gallery of the Owatonna Arts Center or performances by Little Theatre of Owatonna. The city's CulturFest is an annual event where visitors have an opportunity to explore Owatonna's rich cultural diversity.
- The Owatonna area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Owatonna Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Owatonna has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Healthy Seniors of Steele County, an organization that is committed to serving the well-being of the county's seniors and caregivers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Owatonna
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Owatonna start around $3,682 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Owatonna and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Owatonna
Minnesota has a few sources of financial assistance to help residents meet assisted-living costs, such as the Elderly Waiver (EW), a federal Medicaid waiver program. The Minnesota Senior Health Options (MSHO) is another possible source of assistance, although options for participation need to be verified at the county level. The Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) waiver can be another source of assistance; however, CADI Waiver services are restricted to seniors who were enrolled before turning 65.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Owatonna
Owatonna and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Owatonna, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Owatonna
Owatonna-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Owatonna, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Owatonna
Review of Timberdale Trace
I think Timberdale Trace had a lot of good things going on, but the room size was quite small and they did not have options of sizes, so that was a drawback to us. I don't think that's enough space... Read more
Review of Timberdale Trace
We have moved my parents into Timberdale Trace Assisted Living. It sounds like they're doing some remodeling there, but the staff was incredibly welcoming and very helpful. There are two of them in... Read more
Review of Birchwood Cottages - Owatonna
We visited Birchwood Cottages - Owatonna for my mom. They were very friendly, knowledgeable, and also very available. We saw a lot of staff. They were modern, good-sized rooms that flowed well when... Read more