6 Assisted Living Facilities near Northfield, MN
Also serving communities of Cannon Falls, Lonsdale.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Northfield area, with 4 in Northfield and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Northfield. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Northfield 4.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Savage with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Northfield, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Northfield, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Northfield
Northfield, a quaint city situated on the banks of the Cannon River, is a senior-friendly community that offers a variety of services and amenities to serve the older adult population. Here, residents enjoy access to 35 parks, a historic downtown region filled with unique shops and the peaceful Japanese garden at Carleton College.
The Northfield region is home to 29 assisted living facilities, with three in the city and 26 located nearby. Assisted living facilities in Northfield must register annually with the Minnesota Department of Health and provide both supportive and health-related services for one or more residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Northfield
- Northfield has comfortable summers, with average July highs in the low-80s, providing seniors with plenty of opportunities to enjoy the city’s amenities. However, winters can be harsh, with temperatures plunging into the single digits and snowfall averages reaching 40 inches or more per year.
- The overall cost of living in Northfield is on par with the national average. Even so, seniors may find that they spend slightly less on groceries and health care and slightly more on transportation in Northfield than they would in other U.S. cities.
- Northfield is a safe city for seniors. The overall crime rate is less than half the state average and 61 percent lower than the national average. The violent crime rate is 68 percent lower than Minnesota’s average and 80 percent below the national average, while the property crime rate is 52 percent below the state average and 58 percent below the national average.
- The Northfield area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Northfield Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Northfield is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Northfield has an array of community resources for seniors, including Aging Services for Communities, an organization that provides assistance with grocery shopping, round-trip transportation and education programs, as well as three senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Northfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Northfield start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Northfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Northfield
Northfield seniors who meet income guidelines may be eligible to receive financial assistance for assisted living through one of several Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver programs, as well as Minnesota Senior Health Options, which is a health plan that includes both Medicaid and Medicare benefits.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Northfield
Northfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Northfield, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Northfield
Northfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Northfield, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Northfield
Review of Benedictine Living
I was at Benedictine Living twice and I liked it, but they didn't have any openings. The rooms were very nice. It's bright and brand new. When you come in the front doors, it's kind of like walking... Read more
Review of Benedictine Living
Benedictine Living has a continuum of service. My brother-in-law started there in assisted living. And there, they have assisted living units that are furnished, so you don't have to provide your o... Read more
Review of Millstream Commons
I can’t help but give this place 5 stars. It’s been a godsend to my very, very picky mother. She wants nothing but the best and is able to find fault with anything, but here she is hard-pressed to... Read more