7 Assisted Living Facilities in Austin, MN
Also serving communities of Adams, Hayfield.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Austin. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Austin 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Albert Lea with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Austin, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Austin
Austin, Minnesota, located along the Cedar River north of the Iowa border, was named after Austin R. Nichols, the area’s first settler. In 1891, the Hormel Foods Corporation opened shop in the city, earning it the nickname of Spamtown USA.
Today, this city is home to a senior community that makes up more than 17% of its total population. When these seniors require help with personal care, they can turn to one of the seven assisted living facilities in the area. In all of Minnesota, including Austin, these facilities are officially recognized as either Class A or Class F home care providers, both of which must register annually with the Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Austin
- Minnesota partially taxes Social Security benefits and fully taxes both pensions and retirement savings income. Seniors may want to keep these tax laws in mind before relocating to the area.
- The Austin area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mayo Clinic Health System, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors can feel safe when venturing out in Austin where violent crime rates are 16.9, notably lower than the national average of 22.7. Property crime rates are higher than the national average of 35.4, at 39.1. Seniors may want to ask about security protocols when touring area facilities.
- Austin’s cost of living is 79.5, considerably lower than both the state average of 106.3 and the U.S. median of 100. Seniors here can expect to pay less for groceries, healthcare and transportation than they would in many other areas across Minnesota and the United States. Seniors may find that that assisted living fees in the area are less expensive than in other areas due to lower operational costs.
- The air quality in Austin at 60, is almost on par with the national median of 58. Although the air quality here is only slightly higher, it’s a good idea for seniors with chronic respiratory and cardiovascular conditions to check the pollen index and ozone levels before venturing outdoors.
- Summers are moderate in Austin where temperatures reach 81 degrees. Winters, however, are very cold, with lows of 5 degrees, so seniors may want to ensure that facility rooms are equipped with individualized climate controls.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Austin
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Austin start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Austin and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Austin
Minnesota has three Medicaid programs available to help low-income Austin seniors with assisted living expenses. These programs are known as the Elderly Waiver, the Community Access for Disability Inclusion Waiver and the MSC+ & MSHO programs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Austin
Austin and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Austin, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Austin
Austin-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Austin, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Austin
Review of St Marks Living
This community is amazing! The staff are great with the residents. Read more
Review of Cedars of Austin
My dad was in the memory care of the Cedars of Austin. I liked their management people, like the activities director, the nurse, but I felt that they just did not have enough help, and they're very... Read more
Review of Cedars of Austin
Cedars of Austin is a caring and well-staffed community. They have senior living, assisted living, and memory facilities as well. It's a very nice place. The personnel and staff are very excellent ... Read more