55 Assisted Living Facilities near Commerce, MI
Also serving communities of Commerce Township.
There are 55 Assisted Living Facilities in the Commerce area, with 2 in Commerce and 53 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Commerce is $4,800 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include West Bloomfield with an average starting cost of $3,872.
To help you with your search, browse the 246 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Commerce. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Commerce 3.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Walled Lake with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Commerce, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Commerce, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Commerce
Located in the outer suburbs of Detroit, Commerce is a town of approximately 43,000 residents, 13 percent of whom are 65 years or older. For residents in that age bracket who need, or desire, to move to an assisted living facility, Commerce has two options from which to choose. The surrounding areas are home to more than 50 additional choices.
In Commerce, as in all of Michigan, assisted living facilities are regulated by the Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing at the Michigan Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Commerce
- Prospective residents of Commerce need to be ready for cold weather and lots of snow in the winter. But in the summer, while much of the country is sweltering, the city averages just over 80 degrees during the daytime. Those who enjoy variety in weather may be happy in Commerce, which experiences four seasons.
- The cost of living in Oakland County, where Commerce is located, is about 15 percent higher than the national average. However, many staple items that are common purchases for seniors, such as health care and groceries, are much less expensive in Oakland County than in a typical U.S. city.
- Michigan is a tax-friendly state for seniors. Residents do not pay any state income taxes on their Social Security benefits, and they receive a hefty tax deduction to apply to other types of retirement income, such as disbursements from 401(k)s and pensions. Sales taxes in Michigan are moderate.
- The area around Commerce has substantially lower-than-average crime. Oakland County's violent crime rate is 13.2 out of 100, and its property crime rate is 22.8. The national averages, by contrast, are 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. In addition, assisted living facilities are known for their safety and security features. Most offer safeguards such as locking exterior doors, guards and cameras.
- Seniors with asthma or other breathing difficulties may want to be aware that the air quality in the Commerce area is quite a bit higher than the national average. On a scale of one to 100, with 100 being worst, Oakland County has an air quality index of 68, compared to the national rate of 58.
- The Commerce area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Commerce
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Commerce start around $4,800 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Commerce and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Commerce
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Commerce
Commerce and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Commerce, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Commerce
Commerce-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Commerce
Review of Edgewood Senior Homes
I have placed several of my clients and their loved ones in both Edgewood Senior Homes in Commerce and Farmington Hills. Their loving and caring staff is outstanding with their care and attention t... Read more
Review of Westlake Health Campus
My mother-in-law was at Westlake Health Campus for rehab and she really liked it. It's very easy to find and get into. She liked the staff members. It's a newer facility, so it's very nice and clea... Read more
Review of Westlake Health Campus
My uncle lived here for 6 weeks. They were amazing.. He went hospice and they took great care of him!! I will always reccommend them to anyone!!! And their Hospice team "Residential hospice" were... Read more