61 Assisted Living Facilities near Walled Lake, MI
Also serving communities of Wixom.
There are 61 Assisted Living Facilities in the Walled Lake area, with 2 in Walled Lake and 59 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Walled Lake is $5,000 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,425. Cheaper nearby regions include Commerce with an average starting cost of $4,350.
To help you with your search, browse the 360 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Walled Lake. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Walled Lake 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Walled Lake, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Walled Lake, MI
59 Assisted Living Facilities near Walled Lake, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Walled Lake
Walled Lake, Michigan, is a bustling main street community in Oakland County with a country atmosphere, sure to pique the interest of the city’s 965 seniors. For seniors who might benefit from facility care, there are two assisted living facilities in the city, with another 58 located in nearby neighborhoods.
In all of Michigan, including Walled Lake, assisted living facilities are known as homes for the aged or adult foster care. Both of these types of facilities are governed by The Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Walled Lake
- In Michigan, seniors are not taxed on Social Security benefits, although they are partially taxed on pensions and retirement savings account income, which might be good news to Walled Lake seniors on fixed incomes.
- Walled Lake’s cost of living is 103.1, slightly higher than the U.S. average of 100. The cost of transportation is particularly high at 136.4, but seniors who take advantage of area transportation programs might not be affected.
- Myride2 provides seniors with curb-to-curb transportation for medical appointments, shopping, and recreational activities for the low price of $1.00 each way. Seniors wishing to use this service need to book their trips 24-48 hours in advance.
- Safety-cautious seniors might feel secure living in a Walled Lake assisted living facility. The city’s violent crime rating is 9.8 and the property crime rating is 19.2, both significantly lower than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Walled Lake has good air quality. On a scale where 100 represents the areas with the best air quality, Walled Lake has a rank of 70, higher than the national average of 58. Seniors with breathing difficulties might enjoy living in this city.
- Seniors who don’t enjoy fluctuating temperatures may not like living in Walled Lake. Summer temperatures can reach 82 degrees, with winter temperatures dropping down to 16. The city also gets 33 inches of rain each year and 36 inches of snow, resulting in only 181 sunny days annually. Sperling’s Comfort Index gives the city a score of 46 out of 100, which indicates that it might not be the best area for seniors with arthritis or joint discomfort.
Paying for Assisted Living in Walled Lake
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Walled Lake start around $5,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Walled Lake and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Walled Lake
Seniors who need help paying for assisted living in Walled Lake can use the state’s Medicaid Waiver program, known as the MI Choice Waiver Program. Applicants must be 65 or older, meet financial eligibility criteria, and be in need of facility care. There is sometimes a long waiting list for this waiver, so seniors might want to keep that in mind.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Walled Lake
Walled Lake and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Walled Lake, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Walled Lake
Walled Lake-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Walled Lake, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Walled Lake
Review of Daniela's Serenity Care
Words to not even begin to describe what a loving home my grandmother lives in. I was extremely sadden when we needed to separate my grandparents after 65 years of marriage, but when I visited Dani... Read more