26 Assisted Living Facilities near Clarkston, MI
There are 26 Assisted Living Facilities in the Clarkston area, with 6 in Clarkston and 20 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Clarkston is $4,050 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Keego Harbor with an average starting cost of $3,000.
To help you with your search, browse the 76 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Clarkston. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Clarkston 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Holly with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Clarkston, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Clarkston, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Clarkston
Clarkston is a small village in Oakland County, Michigan and is located fully within the limits of Independence Township. Clarkston is known for its small-town charm as well as annual events such as the Clarkston Area Farmer's Market, which runs on weekends in the summer months. Oakland County, Michigan is home to a little more than 1.25 million residents, 16.7 percent of whom are over the age of 65.
In the state of Michigan, facilities providing assisted living care to seniors are known as "homes for the aged." There are six homes for the aged located in Clarkston and an additional 50 homes for the aged located in nearby towns such as Waterford and White Lake.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Clarkston
- The air quality in Oakland County has been given a passing grade by the American Lung Association, which means that seniors with lung-related conditions can live in the area without worrying about the air quality worsening their health.
- The Clarkston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including McLaren Clarkston: Emergency Room, in case of medical emergencies or illness.
- There are plenty of arts and culture for seniors living in Clarkston to enjoy. Some homes for the aged may offer supervised day trips that give residents the opportunity to take in some of the area's top attractions, such as Art in the Village and the Holiday Lights Festival.
- There are no public transportation options in Clarkston, meaning that seniors living in the area will likely have to depend on friends or family members to help them get around and travel throughout the area.
- The state of Michigan doesn't tax social security income. Seniors can use these savings to help them pay for the cost of assisted living.
- Even though the overall cost of living in Clarkston is 28 percent higher than the national average, seniors can save on other basic expenses such as healthcare which comes in at 17 percent below the U.S. average.
Paying for Assisted Living in Clarkston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Clarkston start around $4,050 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Clarkston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Clarkston
Seniors in Clarkston's homes for the aged can apply for financial assistance under the Medicaid State Plan, which covers the cost of assisted living services provided to the elderly.
Room and board costs are capped by the state for Medicaid eligible residents who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI). SSI recipients may also apply for an optional state supplement to help with room and board costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Clarkston
Clarkston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Clarkston, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Clarkston
Clarkston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Clarkston, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Clarkston
Review of Caremore of Clarkston Assisted Living
We're hoping that mom will be in Caremore of Clarkston within a few weeks. The big reason we chose it was because she could have a private room in there. It is a newer home, so it's more open, more... Read more
Review of Addington Place of Clarkston
Addington Place of Clarkston was very nice. They were really wonderful there. It's like you walked into a luxury hotel. It was very, very open. It was a very nice setting. It was a very calm settin... Read more
Review of The Pines of Clarkston
My dad moved into the Pines of Clarkston. He's been there a couple of weeks now, and so far, he loves it. It's a great place. The people are nice and the facility is clean. We haven't been able to ... Read more