American House Elmwood

Reviews of American House Elmwood

Assisted Living Reviews for American House Elmwood

August 03, 2016

By Sonja611101

We ended up going to American House Elmwood, and it was great. The staff and the executive directors are really great, and the maintenance staff is amazing and incredible. They helped us and have completely redone the apartment that my mom moved into. Even the ones that weren't completely redone are beautiful. The grounds are very peaceful especially for being in a busy area. It's set back in a really serene area that's super quiet, and you won't even think that you're in the city. The porches and courtyards are really well-done and kept up beautifully. The food could be a little bit better, but they do offer a nice menu for when you don't care for what's being served. The assisted living part is more of a senior living facility so the assisted living staff and the nursing staff are on-site but contracted. They're separate, so you have to deal with two different companies, the directors of the apartment and the dining and stuff like that. If you have questions about the Medical Team, you have to deal directly with them. They seem to be OK, and definitely attentive and very personable. It's more of an old home and had a country feeling.

May 17, 2016

By MarkQOOHU

I looked at American House, which was very nice but too far away. The facility itself, the garden, and the grounds were very nice. They had all the amenities that all of the other places had, too. Had that place been closer to where we needed my mother to be, that would probably be our first choice. I would recommend them. The rooms were a good size, and the staff was very nice. They showed us around and gave us information.

By Pam127640950

I really liked the staff of American House - Elmwood Senior Living. I liked the place, too. Their staff was the friendliest and the nicest. They were nice enough to give us a pie as we were leaving. Their food was delicious. We almost put my mom-in-law in that place.

By ChrisCPNTR

American House is OK and fairly affordable. The representatives who gave me the tour were friendly, very caring, and knowledgeable.

By family member17

My visit to Elmwood was outstanding. The staff was very knowledgeable, very conversational, really wanted to understand what I was looking for, and answered all of my questions. They were a pure delight and amazing. They had a family area, a nice eating area, an area for community events, a salon, and an area for exercise. I got some cookies, which were the most delicious cookies.

March 15, 2016

By Grandma13

American House Elmwood Senior Living was OK. It's mostly assisted living, but it had more of a skilled nursing/nursing home feel to me when I walked in. It's an older facility, and the room seemed to be a little dark. For activities, they had some game time, jigsaw puzzles, movie time, and brought in outside groups. The staff was great, very friendly, and very informative.

December 15, 2015

By Caring daughter98176050

American House was very nice, but dad’s not a social person, and you have to be something of a social person in that environment, and that’s not him at all. He likes it, but it’s just not his cup of tea. There was a one floor unit spread out, and we saw a studio place, which didn’t impress Dad at all; it was just too small, not that he’s looking for anything big, but I just wanted him to see what the environment looked like. It was a very nice, well-kept, and clean facility.

November 29, 2015

By Terry 01

We visited American House in Elmwood. It wasn't very nice. We didn't care for it, and I would not put my parents there. It was old. They showed us the rooms, and they only had a studio available, which was really small. A lady just moved in a week or so before, and she was in a one-bedroom and loved it. She let us into the room, and it just didn't seem like it was cleaned before she moved in. I can see that there were marks on the walls; it just wasn't that nice. I know they had doctors come in three days a week or something, and they had a list on the wall that shows which doctor was going to be there on what day. The people and everything were very nice; the place itself wasn't nice.

May 29, 2015

I was very impressed with American House even though I came in kind of unannounced. I had a tentative appointment, so I wasn't really expecting to have a tour. They did help me out a lot and showed me around. I wasn't in a good mood because my husband was in the hospital and not doing well. So I was kind of cranky, but they did really well. They even sent me home with a pie. The rooms and apartments were fine. They had different styles for different people's needs, but they were all fine. I was really looking for respite care, but I thought they were kind of expensive because there were a lot of add-ons like medications and administration. But I thought they were fairly good, and we'll be looking into them for respite care. The dining setup was fine. We were there during a meal, but I didn't see what the people were eating. They have been keeping in touch with me to see when I'm available to come and see them again and have my husband stay sometime for respite care. They are really good about it when I tell them I'm not ready. They say they'll call in a month or call in a few months, and they stick to that. They are not bothering me or anything, so I think they are doing well. So that is probably what we are going to look into when he needs to stay there for a few weeks.

Thank you for your feedback! We're so happy to hear that you'll be thinking of staying at American House Elmwood. If we can provide any further information please don't hesitate to contact me! Kathy Porman, Executive Director

April 07, 2015

By James102388750

My mom is at American House –Elmwood Senior Living, and it is an excellent place. We had a little problem with one of the nurses there, but she is no longer there, so it is much better now. She has a private room, and it is very spacious and very nice. Before mom got worse, she played bingo and all those available activities. I have eaten there lots of times, and the food is excellent. I would absolutely recommend this place to others.

Thank you for providing feedback on the American House Elmwood community. At each American House community, a life enrichment director plans a program full of social, educational and cultural events to keep residents active and engaged - it's great to hear that your mother participated in some of the activities! If there's ever anything you or your mother need, please reach out to me directly. Sincerely, Kathy Porman (248) 790-1733

December 28, 2014

I visited American House, and I liked their staff a lot. They had a lot of activities. They would give you a calendar where there were activities going on all the time.

We definitely do have tons of activities and our Lifestyle Enrichment Director is always working to plan even more events and things to do for our residents’ enjoyment. If I can answer any questions, please call me directly.

Sincerely, Kathy Porman, Executive Director 248-852-1980

November 21, 2014

I didn’t like the American House – Elmwood. The staff were not friendly, and it looked like a nursing home. Overall, I just did not like the place.

Thank you for providing feedback! Our residents truly enjoy the Elmwood community, as we strive to create incredible life experiences for them. As such, please contact me personally and we can address your comments and concerns. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Sincerely, Kathy Porman, Executive Director 248-852-1980

April 10, 2014

We chose American House because it is convenient. The staff is very nice, helpful, courteous, and accommodating. The rooms are all nice. They have quite a few activities.

We’re quite proud of our staff and the activities we have — because they really make our residents happy and interactive. Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is very appreciated.

Sincerely, Kathy Porman Executive Director 248-852-1980

October 20, 2013

By Diane41

American House Elmwood Senior Living was very clean looking and neat. The rooms were a nice-size and there was no smell. Everything seemed very, very nice. The prices were very reasonable. The staff was very informative and very helpful. I just hope they'd keep the prices low so people can actually afford to go there. Other than that, just keep it clean and neat, and make it look more like somebody's home.

Thanks for your feedback, Diane! I'm glad you liked our community – we like to keep a homey look here at Elmwood. We strive to keep costs low and create a value so that our residents and their families can rest easy.

Sincerely, Kathy Porman Executive Director 248-852-1980

September 10, 2013

By Caring 6888

The place is a little bit older but it was nice. The staff were very, very nice. I would definitely recommend the place.

Thank you so much for your recommendation! I really appreciate you taking the time to let others know how much you enjoyed American House Elmwood - we think our staff is top notch too. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Sincerely, Kathy Porman Executive Director 248-852-8393

August 29, 2013

By Joseph17

We choose American House because we like the place and the price is reasonable. The staff is very nice. Everybody is friendly and helpful and we appreciate that. It made us feel at home. The room is fine for a single person. I recommend this facility to others.

Thank you so much for your recommendation, Joseph! We try our best to make sure our residents are enjoying themselves - because they feel like family to us. Please feel free to drop by and say hello anytime!

Sincerely, Kathy Porman Executive Director (248) 852-1980

September 21, 2012

By excellentchange

My mother has lived at A.H. Elmwood for 5 yrs. Since the latest management change, I see a more respectful attitude toward the residents. The quality of food has improved. A greater variety of activities occurs. Adding an activities peson that is not responsible for keeping occupancy filled is an excellent change along with the new administrators.

Thank you, excellentchange, for noticing the positive changes we've made at American House Elmwood! American House is committed to improving on the services and the lifestyle we offer our residents, as we are grateful to them for making our community their home. If you ever have any questions or concerns, or would just like to say hi, please feel free to drop by or give me a call!

Sincerely, Kathy Porman, Executive Director, (248) 852-1980

March 15, 2012

By Rice1

It was a wonderful place where my grandma lived out many of her final years. The staff was very kind and understanding. She always seemed happy and never had problems with this place. It became a second home to us when she was in there, it seemed like everybody knew each other. The staff would go out of its way not only to make sure she was good but that we were good to. She got 3 meals a day and the Activities Director was always creating fun and exciting; crafts or games to play, they even had Wii Bowling which she got really good at. I have seen a couple of the nurses and they still rant and rave at how nice my grandma was. It's funny cause when stories of my grandma come up all we can to do it rant and rave about them. They were all to wonderful and for that I am thankful.

We are grateful to you and your family for making American House Elmwood your second home. We have a very caring staff and the residents and their families always come first. We truly love what we do. Thank you for the wonderful comments.

Sincerely, Darlene Thompson, Executive Director

Independent Living Reviews for American House Elmwood

Photos of American House Elmwood

Services and Amenities of American House Elmwood

• Features Extra: Library

About American House Elmwood

Our amentities and services are designed to create a maintenance-free lifestyle, with the joys of living in a senior community. You enjoy the privacy of your own apartment, or socialize with friends in one of our community spaces. Elmwood provides the peace of mind knowing you have on-site staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our charming community offers: maintenance free apartments, restaurant style dining, community dining room, activity director with diverse resident programming, cozy common areas for family and community events, weekly housekeeping and laundry service.

We have longevity within our community, are only one story, have an enhanced life enrichment department, offer an affordable price point, and feature memory care options with all inclusive pricing.

Map of American House Elmwood