7 Assisted Living Facilities near Waterloo, IA
Also serving communities of Fairbank.
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Waterloo area, with 2 in Waterloo and 5 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 19 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Waterloo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Waterloo 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cedar Falls with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Waterloo, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Waterloo, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Waterloo
Waterloo is a midsized city in northeast Iowa and offers a balanced mix of rural landscapes and urban amenities, making senior residents feel connected and at home. As the seat of Black Hawk County, Waterloo has two assisted living facilities, and there are 16 others in surrounding cities and towns within the Waterloo-Cedar Falls metropolitan area. Facilities that provide assisted living services in Iowa are classified into assisted living programs, residential care facilities and elder group homes, and they are regulated by the Health Facilities Division of the state’s Department of Inspections and Appeals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Waterloo
- The Waterloo-Cedar Falls area is one of the cleanest metropolitan areas in the country in terms of air quality as ranked by the American Lung Association. This makes Waterloo a pleasant place for aging individuals with respiratory concerns.
- Waterloo has freezing winters with an average low of 10 degrees Fahrenheit in January and receives a higher amount of snowfall than the national average. This may be a challenge for seniors who are interested in outdoor recreation.
- In addition to Waterloo’s low cost of living, social security income is tax-free in the state of Iowa, and seniors 55+ are eligible for tax deduction on pensions and retirement income.
- Seniors can travel around and beyond Waterloo with convenience. The Waterloo Regional Airport has daily flights to and from Chicago, and MET Transit offers paratransit rides and regular bus services around Waterloo and Cedar Falls with reduced fares for residents 60+. The Northeast Iowa Area Agency on Aging also provides senior transportation services to doctor’s appointments, shopping locations and other areas.
- The home of the National Cattle Congress and Iowa Irish Fest, Waterloo has its fair share of diverse arts and culture for seniors to experience. Aside from the Grout Museum District and free John Deere attractions in the downtown area, seniors can enjoy free live events and the riverside breeze at the RiverLoop Ampitheatre, free admission to Waterloo Center for the Arts’ galleries and various acts at the Waterloo Community Playhouse.
- The Waterloo area is home to world-class medical facilities including Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare Covenant Medical Center, Kimball Ridge Center, UnityPoint Health Allen Hospital and Cedar Valley Medical Specialists in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Waterloo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Waterloo start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Waterloo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Waterloo
The Elderly Waiver is a Home and Community Based-Services (HCBS) waiver program by the Iowa Department of Human Services which provides financial assistance on assisted living programs for eligible seniors 65+.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Waterloo
Waterloo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Waterloo, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Waterloo
Waterloo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Waterloo, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Waterloo
Review of Friendship Village _ Lakeview Lodge
I also went to Lakeview Lodge, and it had a lot of different things to offer. It has an aquarium, a theatre, and an ice cream parlor. The staff were very nice, too. Read more