16 Assisted Living Facilities near Marion, IA
Also serving communities of Robins, Hiawatha, Mount Vernon, Anamosa, Monticello.
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Marion area, with 3 in Marion and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Marion is $3,189 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 90 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Marion. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Marion 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cedar Rapids with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Marion, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Marion, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Marion
Marion, IA, was chosen as the seat of Linn County before anybody actually settled the area, in 1839. Today, this city of 37,198 is one of the fastest growing towns in the state, and its 16 assisted living communities offer senior residents maximum independence and privacy. The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals regulates these facilities, where seniors can expect room and board, regular community activities, 24-hour emergency response when they need it and help with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as dressing and personal care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Marion
- Marion is in east-central Iowa, which shares a lot of its weather with the nearby Wisconsin and Chicagoland areas. Winter lows in Marion drop to 13 degrees Fahrenheit in December, while the mild summer temps rarely get higher than 85 degrees. This part of the state gets an average of 38 inches of rain a year. This close to the river, spores and pollen can become an issue in spring for seniors with asthma or other breathing difficulties.
Marion's cost of living is fairly close to the national average, though expenses here tend to be a bit lower in areas that affect seniors most. Groceries in Marion, for example, typically cost 94 percent of the national average, while transportation runs to 95 percent and health care is 99 percent of the average nationwide.
- Iowa imposes an income tax that runs from 0.36 to 8.98 percent of money earned. SSI and most kinds of retirement income are not subject to this tax, though a 7 to 9 percent sales tax still applies to seniors who buy their own groceries.
- Crime is very low in Marion. Burglary and assault, crimes that disproportionately affect seniors, are less than one-third the national rate though.
- Marion seniors can schedule rides through Aging Services, Inc., a nonprofit run through the United Way. This volunteer service provides bus, dial-a-ride and non-emergency medical transportation for area seniors and adults with disabilities.
- The Marion area is home to world-class medical facilities, including UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Marion
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Marion start around $3,189 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Marion and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Marion
The Iowa Medicaid HCBS Elderly Waiver is a state-run managed care plan provided to help low-income seniors pay for some of the monthly costs associated with assisted living in Iowa.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Marion
Marion and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Marion, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Marion
Marion-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Marion, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Marion
Review of Summit Pointe
My mother is in Summit Pointe memory care unit. Her accommodation is great and all the nurses are very attentive. It's all-inclusive, full service for dementia/Alzheimer's people who need extra hel... Read more
Review of The Villages at Marion
Village Ridge was OK. The staff was nice and attentive to their people. The room where my brother stayed was nice and clean, but they had a problem with ants for a while. My brother was in the memo... Read more
Review of The Villages at Marion
I think The Villages at Marion was lovely, and very nice. It’s got everything a person could want. They’re very accommodating, and it’s great so far. My sister will be moving on Saturday, but it al... Read more