Austin, the capital of Texas, has a population of 978,908, of whom 8.9% are adults aged 65 and older. Seniors in this city have access to multiple premier healthcare facilities, including St. David’s HealthCare and The Hospital at Westlake Medical Center. Austin Geriatric Specialists and Geriatric Post-Acute Specialists also offer state-of-the-art, comprehensive care for Central Texas seniors. According to data from Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, nursing home costs in Austin are low compared to the national average. A semiprivate room in Austin costs $5,201 per month, while the median cost nationwide is $7,756.

Nursing homes provide 24/7 supervision, monitoring and medical services that aren’t feasible for most individuals living at home. Typical services include skilled nursing and physical, occupational and speech therapies. Many nursing homes also have special memory care units for individuals with progressive cognitive decline. Home health care or assisted living is more economical and may be more suitable for people who don’t need this level of care.

This guide provides details on the cost of nursing home care in Austin compared to other care types and locations. It also covers local resources that can help older adults in need of long-term care.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Austin, TX

2015, 2022

Brookdale Westlake Hills

1034 Liberty Park Dr., Austin, TX, 78746

I moved into Brookdale West Lake Hills. It was a skilled nursing facility that had PT and OT, and actual speech therapists that would work with me every day to get stronger, and all that good stuff. T … (read more)

The Plaza at Querencia

2500 Barton Creek Blvd, Austin, TX, 78735

My mother is at Querencia in Austin for therapy. The care and the staff were excellent. I can’t go up there because of COVID, so it’s hard to know how the therapy is going, but the communication is ve … (read more)

Longhorn Village

12001 Longhorn Parkway, Austin, TX, 78732

Barton Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

4501 DUDMAR DR, Austin, TX, 78735

The care and respect that the staff showed my Sister while she was in hospice was so impressive. Such lovely people doing good work. There were CNA’s that would check on her even if they were not assi … (read more)

Westminster

4100 Jackson Avenue, Austin, TX, 78731

Park Manor of Beecave

14058 Bee Cave Parkway, Building B, Austin, TX, 78738

My mother was at park manor for 6 weeks post covid recovery & rehab! My mom used to complain about the food, some staff who were rude & unprofessional towards her care! Despite all that, I lov … (read more)

Cedar View Rehabilitation And Healthcare Center

11020 Dessau Rd, Austin, TX, 78754

My parents moved to Legend Oaks two months ago. It was convenient, and the experience has been good. The staff has been very good and caring. The overall cleanliness really stands out. They have a lot … (read more)

West Oaks Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

3200 W. SLAUGHTER LANE, Austin, TX, 78748

I was a recovery resident for 4 months. It was a wonderful experience. I will be back for more advanced out-patient therapy in a few months. Most likely, I will return to therapy in May or June 2020. … (read more)

Brush Country Nursing & Rehabilitation

6500 Brush Country Rd, Austin, TX, 78749

My dad is at Brush Country Nursing & Rehabilitation, and he is doing great. He’s got Alzheimer’s and stuff; he can’t get around. The place is great and from what I know about the staff, they’re … (read more)

Gracy Woods Ii Living Center

12042 Bittern Hollow, Austin, TX, 78758

My mother-in-law is at Gracy Woods II. It is a very nice place. I like it. It is organized and clean. They have the normal activities you would see in most nursing homes or assisted living places. The … (read more)

Stonebridge Health Rehab

11127 Circle Dr., Austin, TX, 78736

Everyone is very friendly and attentive. I was visiting a friend and she told me that she loves the people here and I don’t find that hard to believe. They’re all very kind and caring. Thank you f … (read more)

Heritage Duval Gardens

5301 W Duval Rd, Austin, TX, 78727

My husband arrived at Winsor Duval in September 2017 when he came Windsor he was falling daily had been 3 previous facilities and by the time he got to Windsor he was on so many psych meds. The staff … (read more)

Southpark Meadows

9300 S I H 35 Austin, Austin, TX, 78748

For about nine years I have gone to Southpark Meadows as a volunteer to play music for the patients there. The patients always seem excited about the show and staff is helpful. From the listings I ha … (read more)

Park Bend Health Center

2122 Park Bend Dr., Austin, TX, 78758

This is the worst skilled nursing facility I have ever been to. It is dirty disgusting and the staff is extremely rude. I had to wait over three hours for a cup of ice water. I do not recommend this … (read more)

Stonebriar Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

110 E Live Oak Street, Austin, TX, 78704

My wife was here and had a wonderful stay. We were down stairs in a private room. The techs were so kind and helpful. Although her stay was short I am glad that it made the bridge between the hospital … (read more)

Austin Retirement Nursing Center

6909 Burnet Ln, Austin, TX, 78757

My parent was in their Covid Quarintine unit. It’s a holding tank. Uncaring, inattentive employees for the most part. They went in on meds for pneumonia, yet my parent in bed the whole 5 days, never … (read more)

Southwood Care Center

3759 VALLEY VIEW RD, Austin, TX, 78704

Our son Michael was accepted as a patient three months ago. We have been very pleased with the care he has received. The Doctor, Nurses, and Staff have been very attentive to all his needs. T … (read more)

Walnut Hills Convalescent Center

3509 ROGGE LN, Austin, TX, 78723

My sister-in-law is in the nursing home at Walnut Hills. From what I see, it’s not the best place where I would want to put my family member. The person I interacted with there is very nice, and the w … (read more)

Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center

2101 Frate Barker Rd, Austin, TX, 78748

My dad has been there for 3 years now he has completely loved it and some of the old staff was there now they’re all gone this place cannot seem to keep anybody not even a manager the one they have no … (read more)

Southpark Meadows Nursing Rehabilitation Center

9801 S 1st Street, Austin, TX, 78748

Southpark Meadows was clean. They just didn’t seem to care a lot about the patients. They were not attentive. I asked when they were going to change my mother, and the staff said to let her finish wha … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Austin, TX

Nursing home semiprivate rooms cost an average of $5,201 per month in Austin, while private rooms cost $7,057.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Semiprivate rooms in Austin nursing homes run about $2,500 less per month than similar rooms in the average U.S. city. However, the cost in Austin is about $200 above the Texas state average of $5,019.

Austin’s cost is barely above the Killeen average of $5,191, but it’s about $450 over the $4,745 monthly cost in Waco. The College Station area sees costs of $5,262, which is just $61 over Austin’s average. In San Antonio, the average cost is $5,338, which is $137 more than the median cost in Austin.

$5201

College Station Area

$5338

San Antonio

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

By comparing nursing home prices to costs for other types of long-term senior care in Austin, families can better determine the best placement for an elderly loved one. Home care costs $4,385, which is $800 less than a semiprivate nursing home room. Assisted living and home health care services are slightly more expensive at $4,250 and $4,576, respectively. A private room in a nursing home the priciest choice at $7,057, which is almost $2,000 more than a shared room. Cost figures were unavailable for adult day care, which is typically the least expensive option.

$4385

Home care

$4576

Home health care

$4250

Assisted living

$5201

Nursing home (semi-private room)

$7057

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Austin, TX

Free Resources for Seniors in Austin, TX

Seniors in Austin may find the following resources helpful in delaying the move to institutional care. In addition to making it easier for older citizens to continue living at home, these programs make nursing home care easier to understand and access when the time comes.

ResourceContactService
Aging Services Council of Central Texas(512) 593-2269The Aging Services Council of Central Texas is a portal for information and resources geared toward filling gaps in community-based care for elderly residents. This agency publishes a caregiving guide covering health and social service topics and a ride guide listing transportation options for area seniors. Information is also available in Spanish.
AGE of Central Texas(512) 451-4611AGE of Central Texas is a nonprofit agency offering a wide spectrum of supports for seniors and their caregivers. It lends health equipment, runs social and wellness centers, hosts a memory loss support program, coordinates virtual connections and offers caregiver workshops and resources.
Family Eldercare(512) 450-0844Family Eldercare is a nonprofit that provides and coordinates services for seniors living at home. Programs include case management, in-home care, counseling, guardianship, friendly calls and Social Security and VA benefits management.
Hospice Austin(512) 342-4700Hospice Austin provides palliative and hospice care in clients’ homes and assisted living and nursing communities. The Christopher House facility offers a hospitalization alternative for short stays. Services are available to all regardless of age or ability to pay.
Meals on Wheels Central Texas(512) 476-6325Meals on Wheels Central Texas volunteers visit and deliver prepared meals to homebound seniors. The agency also provides in-home care, home repairs and safety modifications, pet care and respite care for adults with dementia. Case management, telehealth depression treatment and additional check-ins are available as well.