Austin, the capital of Texas, has a population of 978,908, of whom 8.9% are adults aged 65 and older. Seniors in this city have access to multiple premier healthcare facilities, including St. David’s HealthCare and The Hospital at Westlake Medical Center. Austin Geriatric Specialists and Geriatric Post-Acute Specialists also offer state-of-the-art, comprehensive care for Central Texas seniors. According to data from Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, nursing home costs in Austin are low compared to the national average. A semiprivate room in Austin costs $5,201 per month, while the median cost nationwide is $7,756.

Nursing homes provide 24/7 supervision, monitoring and medical services that aren’t feasible for most individuals living at home. Typical services include skilled nursing and physical, occupational and speech therapies. Many nursing homes also have special memory care units for individuals with progressive cognitive decline. Home health care or assisted living is more economical and may be more suitable for people who don’t need this level of care.

This guide provides details on the cost of nursing home care in Austin compared to other care types and locations. It also covers local resources that can help older adults in need of long-term care.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Austin, TX

2015

Brookdale Westlake Hills

1034 Liberty Park Dr., Austin, TX, 78746

Brookdale Westlake Hills is expensive. The food is sufficient, not exciting, but sufficient. The staff is shorthanded. The room is a good size and they have plenty of service. The room has a TV, dress … (read more)

The Plaza at Querencia

2500 Barton Creek Blvd, Austin, TX, 78735

My mother is at Querencia in Austin for therapy. The care and the staff were excellent. I can’t go up there because of COVID, so it’s hard to know how the therapy is going, but the communication is ve … (read more)

Longhorn Village

12001 Longhorn Parkway, Austin, TX, 78732

Monte Siesta Nursing and Rehabilitation

4501 DUDMAR DR, Austin, TX, 78735

The care and respect that the staff showed my Sister while she was in hospice was so impressive. Such lovely people doing good work. There were CNA’s that would check on her even if they were not assi … (read more)

Cedar View Rehabilitation And Healthcare Center

11020 Dessau Rd, Austin, TX, 78754

My parents moved to Legend Oaks two months ago. It was convenient, and the experience has been good. The staff has been very good and caring. The overall cleanliness really stands out. They have a lot … (read more)

Westminster

4100 Jackson Avenue, Austin, TX, 78731

West Oaks Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

3200 W. SLAUGHTER LANE, Austin, TX, 78748

I was a recovery resident for 4 months. It was a wonderful experience. I will be back for more advanced out-patient therapy in a few months. Most likely, I will return to therapy in May or June 2020. … (read more)

Austin Retirement Nursing Center

6909 Burnet Ln, Austin, TX, 78757

I was sent to this place to recup after an operation. I was shown to a room that had an air mattress for the bed. The wall paper was peeling off the walls. A man who said he was a nurse came in and st … (read more)

Park Manor of Beecave

14058 Bee Cave Parkway, Building B, Austin, TX, 78738

I have to say that I am extremely grateful and impressed with this skilled nursing. From the very beginning they have gone above and beyond. It started with the tour that I had to schedule for 7pm b … (read more)

Gracy Woods Ii Living Center

12042 Bittern Hollow, Austin, TX, 78758

My mother-in-law is at Gracy Woods II. It is a very nice place. I like it. It is organized and clean. They have the normal activities you would see in most nursing homes or assisted living places. The … (read more)

Brush Country Nursing & Rehabilitation

6500 Brush Country Rd, Austin, TX, 78749

I chose Regency Village Care Center for my husband mainly because they had the same personnel for the last 15 to 20 years, so that is how stable they are. Their prices are adequate and not overpriced. … (read more)

Heritage Duval Gardens

5301 W Duval Rd, Austin, TX, 78727

My husband arrived at Winsor Duval in September 2017 when he came Windsor he was falling daily had been 3 previous facilities and by the time he got to Windsor he was on so many psych meds. The staff … (read more)

Southpark Meadows

9300 S I H 35 Austin, Austin, TX, 78748

For about nine years I have gone to Southpark Meadows as a volunteer to play music for the patients there. The patients always seem excited about the show and staff is helpful. From the listings I ha … (read more)

Park Bend Health Center

2122 PARK BEND DR, Austin, TX, 78758

This is the worst skilled nursing facility I have ever been to. It is dirty disgusting and the staff is extremely rude. I had to wait over three hours for a cup of ice water. I do not recommend this … (read more)

Stonebriar Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

110 E Live Oak Street, Austin, TX, 78704

My wife was here and had a wonderful stay. We were down stairs in a private room. The techs were so kind and helpful. Although her stay was short I am glad that it made the bridge between the hospital … (read more)

Southwood Care Center

3759 VALLEY VIEW RD, Austin, TX, 78704

Our son Michael was accepted as a patient three months ago. We have been very pleased with the care he has received. The Doctor, Nurses, and Staff have been very attentive to all his needs. T … (read more)

Heartland Health Care Center-Austin

11406 RUSTIC ROCK DRIVE, Austin, TX, 78750

Walnut Hills Convalescent Center

3509 ROGGE LN, Austin, TX, 78723

My sister-in-law is in the nursing home at Walnut Hills. From what I see, it’s not the best place where I would want to put my family member. The person I interacted with there is very nice, and the w … (read more)

Stonebridge Health Center

11127 CIRCLE DR, Austin, TX, 78736

It’s been our experience that the eye/teeth/hearing aid doctors this facility hires do not follow up with glasses, teeth or hearing aids for many weeks and, then, only after we complain. The facility … (read more)

Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center

2101 Frate Barker Rd, Austin, TX, 78748

My dad has been there for 3 years now he has completely loved it and some of the old staff was there now they’re all gone this place cannot seem to keep anybody not even a manager the one they have no … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Austin, TX

Nursing home semiprivate rooms cost an average of $5,201 per month in Austin, while private rooms cost $7,057.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Semiprivate rooms in Austin nursing homes run about $2,500 less per month than similar rooms in the average U.S. city. However, the cost in Austin is about $200 above the Texas state average of $5,019.

Austin’s cost is barely above the Killeen average of $5,191, but it’s about $450 over the $4,745 monthly cost in Waco. The College Station area sees costs of $5,262, which is just $61 over Austin’s average. In San Antonio, the average cost is $5,338, which is $137 more than the median cost in Austin.

$5201

College Station Area

$5338

San Antonio

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

By comparing nursing home prices to costs for other types of long-term senior care in Austin, families can better determine the best placement for an elderly loved one. Home care costs $4,385, which is $800 less than a semiprivate nursing home room. Assisted living and home health care services are slightly more expensive at $4,250 and $4,576, respectively. A private room in a nursing home the priciest choice at $7,057, which is almost $2,000 more than a shared room. Cost figures were unavailable for adult day care, which is typically the least expensive option.

$4385

Home care

$4576

Home health care

$4250

Assisted living

$5201

Nursing home (semi-private room)

$7057

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Austin, TX

Free Resources for Seniors in Austin, TX

Seniors in Austin may find the following resources helpful in delaying the move to institutional care. In addition to making it easier for older citizens to continue living at home, these programs make nursing home care easier to understand and access when the time comes.

ResourceContactService
Aging Services Council of Central Texas(512) 593-2269The Aging Services Council of Central Texas is a portal for information and resources geared toward filling gaps in community-based care for elderly residents. This agency publishes a caregiving guide covering health and social service topics and a ride guide listing transportation options for area seniors. Information is also available in Spanish.
AGE of Central Texas(512) 451-4611AGE of Central Texas is a nonprofit agency offering a wide spectrum of supports for seniors and their caregivers. It lends health equipment, runs social and wellness centers, hosts a memory loss support program, coordinates virtual connections and offers caregiver workshops and resources.
Family Eldercare(512) 450-0844Family Eldercare is a nonprofit that provides and coordinates services for seniors living at home. Programs include case management, in-home care, counseling, guardianship, friendly calls and Social Security and VA benefits management.
Hospice Austin(512) 342-4700Hospice Austin provides palliative and hospice care in clients’ homes and assisted living and nursing communities. The Christopher House facility offers a hospitalization alternative for short stays. Services are available to all regardless of age or ability to pay.
Meals on Wheels Central Texas(512) 476-6325Meals on Wheels Central Texas volunteers visit and deliver prepared meals to homebound seniors. The agency also provides in-home care, home repairs and safety modifications, pet care and respite care for adults with dementia. Case management, telehealth depression treatment and additional check-ins are available as well.