Brookdale Westlake Hills

Brookdale Westlake Hills (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Brookdale Westlake Hills

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Westlake Hills

August 24, 2014

Summit at Westlake Hills was the one we liked best. It was very clean and it was a very nice property. The people there were extremely helpful. They gave us a lot of information and helped guide us in the right direction on topics such as VA benefits. They stayed in touch with us to let us know about availability as well as just checking in to see where we are in the process. It was a very pleasant experience. They have independent living as well as assisted living and acute care, so all three are available in the same property, which we found to be preferable. Although we think our parents would fit in the independent living section right now, living at Summit would mean not needing to switch properties should they need additional care. They had a nice, big room where they do exercise that offers several different levels of activity, including those for residents who are wheelchair-bound, like my mother. They also have a pool where they do water exercise classes or swimming. They also have another room that is used when they have parties or special events, as well as a library and free wireless internet throughout the building and in all the communal areas. I would recommend this facility. I think their best feature is the three levels of care, so that people don't have to move when they need more assistance. The property is quite beautiful. They have a service that takes residents to their doctor's appointments and on planned trips to restaurants or special events around town. They've got a beauty salon on the premises and a doctor who visits all the residents as well.

May 10, 2014

The one place that I’m interested in, through a friend who’s there, is Summit at Westlake Hills. He is still adjusting there because he lost his wife. I’m interested because I understand there’s good activity and there’s a variety of coverage for when you retire; the whole spectrum from independent to skilled nursing care. The place is very clean and spacious. It’s very nice, and it’s very expensive.

December 20, 2013

By Ruth13

Summit was a good place but it was just too far away. We didn't like to have to drive that far to get to it. It was very clean, safe and everything was efficient. My husband was there from July to mid August. While he was there, he shared a room with another man and that did not work well for him because he stayed awake all night. The people who were working there were very well and efficient. They had activities but he didn't participate because he was still recovering from a fall.

December 11, 2012

By Lynn G.

When looking for a care facility for my grandmother, we visited almost every one of them in Austin. The Summit at Westlake won our hearts hands down. The staff was friendly and professional, the food was great and the nurse to resident ratio was smaller than most, which was very important to us. They have a more intimate setting where the residents get more individualized attention. Everything that she would have needed was onsite. My grandmother passed away before we were able to get a room, but since then I have visited a friend of mine who is 103 there several times and she is very happy there!

May 30, 2012

By commercesd

We visited the Summit at Westlake Hills while searching for a suitable assisted living facility for my brother's friend. Many of his family members live in the area, so this would be an ideal place for him to live. The outer grounds looked well-kept and pleasant. The staff greeted us and seemed very warm and friendly - which is one of the most important things to the family. They really want him to be treated well in his new home. The foyer was nicely decorated and spacious, but still seemed homey, as did all of the communal rooms. The main living room had high ceilings, soft lighting and a fireplace, which added a lot of charm. The apartments were all clean, well-kept and conveniently designed. They take the time to personalize to each resident's tastes, so the private spaces were comfortable and nicely decorated. The fitness center featured well maintained and modern equipment. The Olympic sized pool added a nice amenity for us, since my brother's friend is an avid swimmer. The activity calendar features many healthy and stimulating activities. We liked that the staff encourages participation and tries to make everything interesting for its residents. They have outings to local libraries, events, culture, restaurants, shopping and athletic events. They take suggestions to update the schedule as much as possible. The main dining room was very nicely designed and warm, as well as very spacious, with cathedral ceilings which made it look very elegant. Residents may choose communal dining or more private situations. There are places for them to visit with families, as well. The food looked deliciously prepared, as well as nutritious. The dietician and chef changes up the menu to keep it interesting and encourage resident to make suggestions. We've visited quite a few assisted living facilities and thus far, the staff at this one were some of the most competent and friendly we've met thus far.

May 08, 2012

By lizkintz

It was an impressive, clean and nice facility. The residents seemed happy and well cared for. There was a lot of activity inside the facility such as reading rooms, computers, places to sit and talk, art rooms and activity rooms. The staff was interacting with the people who lived there both from an activity stand point and to provide them care. There seemed to be adequate and impressive medical staff as well as treatment options. The intake process seemed thorough and highly concerned with individual patient care. The staff was highly engaged in the process and seemed extremely focused on making their patients lives happy, and comfortable. Overall a good and pleasant vibe. The facility was clean and smelled nice, like a happy home not medicinal or old. So many facilities feel sterile- the summit did not. The outside are as and pleasant atmosphere of Austin help this. There were drivers to take patients to appointments and run errands. When my parents are ready this is my first choice to help them transition to assisted living. Very impressed.

July 18, 2011

By emrfd

The Summit at Westlake is a good choice if you're looking for hands-on care, or have a loved one suffering from memory loss (Alzheimer's, dementia), or recovering from a stroke or other serious health condition. They do offer independent living units, but the assisted living and skilled nursing sections are probably what differentiates Summit from all the other Austin retirement communities. From what I've seen, their assisted living care is excellent. Skilled nursing employees are attentive, compassionate, and patient with residents. The location is ideal "“ just south of downtown and the grounds are beautiful with detailed landscaping. The client I worked for (physical therapy) had no complaints about The Summit, aside from commenting on the food. She said she wanted more variety in the menu choices. She enjoys scheduled arts and crafts that are offered, and I've encouraged her to begin swimming in the pool regularly - since this will assist with mobility and recovering from her accident.

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Westlake Hills

June 28, 2016

By Debbie H.

My father lived at Brookdale Westlake Hills for four years. From the day he walked into the community he felt at home. The staff did an amazing job of welcoming him and helping him get acclimated. They took the time to get to know him and his interests. The residents were friendly, helpful and invited him to join them at meals and activities. My brother and I were concerned that he would isolate since my mom had just passed away six months prior to his move, but it was quite the opposite. He took part in all activities from exercise classes, to lectures, to trips outside the community. We felt such comfort and peace knowing, not only was he in good hands and looked after, he was having a blast. When his circumstances changed and he needed additional care, the transition to Assisted Living and Skilled Nursing was so easy and he was happy that he could still interact with the good friends he made while in Independent Living. And we were thankful that we didn't have to find another community. My family is deeply grateful for the wonderful care he received.

Nursing Home Reviews for Brookdale Westlake Hills

April 03, 2015

Summit is more expensive, but it is also very nice. When you walk in, you have the view of Austin. It is an older facility, but they are keeping it up very nicely. It is just a lot more expensive because of the location. They also have cottages all around. It is very attractive. Parking is difficult around there for visitors, and this is one thing I would say that could be improved, but I don't know if there is enough land to do this.

February 10, 2015

The Summit (Brookdale Westlake Hills) is very nice. The place is gorgeous and very nice. They have big oak trees, and the place is kind of tucked away off the freeway. There are some very nice housing developments around it. The community is open to pets. My dad likes to walk the dog, and this would have been such a great place to do it. The building is just really nice. They took them out on a lot of little journey into town. They have a lot of different games and some arts and crafts. Their dining area has a great view of downtown Austin.

June 22, 2012

By Grandmasgirl3

I was not impressed with this facility. First of all, the staff was unfriendly, since they didn't appreciate outsiders coming in to take care of the residents. They charge an exhorbitant fee to provide any type of care, including companionship. They tried on several occasions to make me fill out paperwork, as if I worked for The Summit. I refused each time, and although they were obviously unhappy, they could not stop me, since the residents were allowed thru their contracts to hire any outside help they wanted. Secondly, I freelanced in different parts of the facility - assisted living and skilled nursing. In the skilled nursing area, they were painfully understaffed. Usually, there was only one nurse on duty, dealing with all the patients plus constantly putting out fires which could only be handled by a nurse. It was very easy to tell which staff members actually cared about the patients, as opposed to those who were just collecting a paycheck. I overheard many conversations where the staff was complaining about this resident or that resident. There were some staff members who were nice, but they were few and far between. The staff was also a little too willing to hand out pills, especially pills that make an elderly person sleepy, although they were more reluctant to hand out pills that made them just feel better. The facility is quite pretty and well maintained, but in care quality doesn't seem to be much better than cheap nursing homes. The food was very expensive, but terrible in quality. After a couple times, I would either not eat, or just bring a granola bar and some bottled tea or something - it was that bad. If a resident had the audacity to complain about the food, they were treated disrespectfully, as if they had no right to gripe.

April 04, 2012

By cubbie78

I had to check in my great-grandmother a few years ago. I was on my own in doing this, and a scared 19 year old. These kind of places had always made me feel uncomfortable, because it always seemed like one step closer to death for a loved one. But in this case, the staff was extremely understanding. The director gave me a tour and told me about the care she would be getting. The friendliness of the nurses was top-notch. They listened to all my concerns and they understood the emotional roller coaster I was on. In fact, it seemed like I needed more convincing than my great-grandma, but they held my hand every step of the way. As far as the financial side, they were also a big help. We got the health insurance side squared away VERY quickly, as they took over the paperwork for me. he facility itself radiated friendliness and definitely would recommend the Summit to anyone who was looking for a place in Austin.

October 19, 2011

By budrick2003

I have a friend whom I accompanied to visit his grandmother who lives in this assisted living facility. This place is located in a very upscale part of town. Upon arriving we did have difficulty finding parking as there seems to be limited parking since it is located on a hillside. Upon walking into the facility, I notice the landscape was very carefully manicured and the building itself was very luxurious. When we arrived to visit my friend's grandmother, they there was an activity in the living room where most of the resident were gathered. They were all enjoying a female singer playing some upbeat music on the piano. She was a very good singer and piano player. All the residents seemed very excited for the music. The staff were well engaged with the residents and began dancing and encouraging the residents to dance also with the music. We did visit with my friends grandmother in her room and enjoyed the visit. She has lived here since her husband died a few years ago and she told us she likes it a lot.

Photos of Brookdale Westlake Hills

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Westlake Hills

• Housing Extra: Guest Suite(S)

• Dining Extra: Restaurant Style Dining, Culinary Chef, Registered Dietitian

• Pool

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 10/01/2020

• Pets: Yes

• Occupational Therapy

• Licenses: 000745 & 0213

About Brookdale Westlake Hills

Brookdale Westlake Hills provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Our Optimum Life&reg and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life&reg is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life&reg we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Map of Brookdale Westlake Hills