Cardinal Village Sewell, NJ

Reviews of Cardinal Village

Assisted Living Reviews for Cardinal Village

October 28, 2020

By maurpast

I cannot say enough great things about the staff at Cardinal Village. My Mom has been a resident in the Assisted Living section for over 3 years. They have gone out of their way, time after time, to help her with so many things. The Nurses, in particular, are FANTASTIC. They communicate with our family, they support my Moms wellbeing both physically and mentally. My Mom can be very difficult and the staff is very attentive. Mom was living at another facility nearby until we could get her in at Cardinal Village. What a difference it's made in our lives. Mom is safe and content here, and so are we.

October 27, 2020

By AliWal

Our family visited every facility in Gloucester County for my father and chose Cardinal Village without regret. Dad loves the daily activities, dining, interaction with everyone and the friendly staff. The warm culture of the community always makes us fell like we are part of an extended family. The rooms are large and have great screened in patios which are a huge bonus to us. I would highly recommend Cardinal Village! Their staff is exceptional!!!

By J. Vincent

My uncle was a resident in Assisted Living at Cardinal Village for over two years. While it was difficult for him to make the transition, it was the professionalism and caring attitude of the management and staff at Cardinal Village that made this transition go smoothly. All healthcare providers involved in his care were total professionals and took a special interest in making sure he was comfortable, especially the nursing staff. Since they are on-site, 24 hours, it gave us peace of mind that he would always receive the care he needed, 24/7.

By TrishL

Our family loves Cardinal Village!!! My mom has been a resident there for 7 years and calls it her home! She moved into Independent Living which she just loved and then to assisted living. I cannot say enough about the wonderful care that my mother receives at Cardinal Village. The nurses are some of the most compassionate & caring people that I have ever met. All the staff is amazing. They are always so helpful, respectful, kind & understanding to her. They really go out of their way. They always keep me informed of things going on with mom. We made a great choice in coming to Cardinal Village!

August 25, 2020

By elizabethapril

It has been hard getting through this covid situation, but the staff at Cardinal Village have been very helpful to me and my mom. I get to see her regularly and she is always well taken care of. Thanks to the staff for all the care they give her.

May 13, 2020

By R.L.

Cardinal Village had a lot of activities. They had movies, games, they had a dining room, and they kept the residents busy. The rooms were a decent size, adequate for what they were, and some had screened-in porches. They had a chapel and a library, a big meeting room, and a bunch of different rooms. The building was dated. It needs to be updated, but it was adequate.

September 24, 2019

By Maria Ree

My grandmother has lived at Cardinal Village for 3 years and we couldn't be happier. She's safe, well cared for and happy and that was what to mattered to us. Her quality of life improved so much when she moved to Cardinal Village. The staff is so loving and caring. I just can't say enough good things about Cardinal Village and I would highly recommend.

September 06, 2019

By bre111

My family and I were very happy with the care and kindness that the staff gave our relative. The atmosphere was delightful.

March 13, 2019

By PKacz

Great facility! Very spacious rooms and kind and caring staff.

August 31, 2018

By Theresa

Cardinal Village's staff is very nice. Most of the rooms are small apartments and they have very long hallways. The dining area is very nice. They take the people out shopping. I liked it very much.

May 09, 2017

By Theresa854476

Cardinal Village was very nice and very clean. The people who showed us around were very nice and very accommodating. They took a lot of time with us to explain. I'm very happy with the tour and with the place. They contact us every once in awhile and send information in the mail, but they don't overdo it.

April 11, 2017

By James677142

I liked Cardinal Village a lot. The people who worked there were very nice, very friendly, and very accommodating. The apartments were perfect for me since I wanted a small apartment. The grounds and location were both excellent. They invited me for lunch, and their food was very good.

April 03, 2017

By sorryformom

Buyer Beware!!!!!! When we toured this facility for my mother we were assured by both the sales person and the director of nursing that apart from a very small number of medical exclusions like needing a ventilator, pic line or the like, that she would be able to live there throughout the rest of her life. For 11 months things went very well. Then my mother had a series of falls. After she was admitted to the hospital I was told by the director of nursing that they would not we willing to take her into the assisted living wing. They cited a "2 person assist rule" since when she fell my mother needed 2 people to help her up from the floor. I researched this and while it is indeed NJ law that people needing 2 person assists cannot be in assisted living, the rule is intended to apply to people who need the extra help when it comes from getting up from their chair or when transitioning from chair to bed or the like. No one I spoke with had ever heard it applied to a fall situation. In light of what we felt was false advertising we asked for her $2000 community fee to be returned. After months of run around we were told it would not be returned. Had they been honest about the exclusions we would have chosen another facility. It is a nice enough place with nice staff and residents but if you are considering it please probe them very carefully about the conditions that would lead you to be thrown out.

I completely understand your frustration. We are sorry that your mom couldn’t return to Cardinal Village. Obviously, we wanted that too! Unfortunately, safety must always be our first consideration and your mother’s situation was not safe either for her or for her caregivers. Please know that you were not deliberately misinformed. It is impossible to consider every scenario and it is true that because Cardinal Village has 24-hour nursing coverage, we often care for residents through the end of their lives. The team at Cardinal Village appreciates your comments about the staff and residents being nice. It also means a lot to know that both you and your mother were happy at Cardinal Village for 11 months AND that you wanted her to be able to come back to her apartment.

January 17, 2017

By LInda Giordano

When it was time to move my Mom and Dad to assisted living because they both suffered from dementia, I visited several facilities in Washington Township. Cardinal Village was the last of five. That was better than four years ago. I chose Cardinal Village because of the kindness that was shown from my first contact with Cardinal.. My exact words to Trish, the nursing director were "You have the kindness eyes I have ever seen in a health care practitioner and I am going to hold those eyes responsible for my parents". She never let me down. From Trish on down, the entire staff treated Mom and Dad with nothing but kindness, caring and respect. I lost my Dad last year and Mom just died December 22. The staff could not have been kinder. I truly felt that all who cared for my parents genuinely loved and cared for them. I am so thankful that I found Cardinal Village.

October 06, 2016

By Michelle417877

Cardinal Village felt like home, and my mother was ready to move in after she visited. Everybody feel very welcome. The staff was extremely tenured, very easy to approach, and very personable. Everybody was really great from the service staff to management and to the clinicians. They have general practitioner and multiple discipline specialists that actually come in house. There is free transportation within 10 or 15 mile radius. We spent 4 hours touring the facility.

September 30, 2016

By Mavel

Cardinal Village was very nice. Maria, a staff member we met, was excellent. She gave us a lot of information about how we could afford to keep my mother-in-law there. The only thing was that the place seemed very dark to me. My mother-in-law prefers to be in a place that has a lot of windows.

May 10, 2016

By CindyYDXDI

I liked Cardinal, but my dad did not want to go down there at all. I loved the rooms and thought they were nice. The lady who accommodated me was very nice. The parking there was terrible.

April 29, 2016

By Dianna552

My mother spent the last close to 4 years of her life at Cardinal Village Assisted Living. Although Mom was not the easiest person to deal with all the staff, aides, nurses, dining room workers, Activities staff were always very kind to her. On a personal note as her days drew close to the end the love and caring that was given to me and my family was indeed over and above their "job duties". If you want to feel that your loved one is being taken care of on a day to day basis to relieve your anxiety and stress I can highly recommend Cardinal Village to you. Although Mom is gone I will still be going there to visit all my sweet ladies and gents and to plant flowers on the patio I loved to sit with her on. That will be my ongoing honor to my mother for Cardinal Village. Dianna and Janiczek Family

June 23, 2015

By Jim109066750

We have a good impression with Cardinal Village. The problem is we were really a different type of environment with for my wife. The staff seemed very good, I have no complaints about it there, and everything was very nice, but we just saw that it wasn’t the type that we were looking for. The room looked very nice and spacious. They gave us lunch there, the food was good, and the dining area was spacious. The facility itself really impressed me.

Thanks for visiting Cardinal Village and saying such nice things about our staff, food and community. We hope you find the right “fit” for your wife and if we can be of any assistance, please don’t hesitate to call

August 05, 2014

At Cardinal Village, they had friendly staff. It was a nice community. When we got there, we weren't disappointed. They were very nice and the place itself was very nice. However, we're looking for something that would be more permanent. It seemed to be a little bit too independent for my grandmother. She needed more assistance than what we could do there. Also, my grandmother was starting Medicaid within the next two weeks, but they wouldn't accept it. Nevertheless, the rooms were nice. The room we looked at had its own patio and screened-in porch, and it was very nice.

July 22, 2014

By Laurence1

We went to Cardinal Village. It was OK. It just seemed like it was old. The staff was nice; there were a lot of them. The patients seemed happy.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and review Cardinal Village. As you noted, Cardinal Village is 25 years “young”! As an established community, Cardinal Village offers many benefits that our newer competitors don’t have ~ things like bigger apartments, screened patios and extra storage! We are constantly renovating and do our best to stay ‘up to date’ while maintaining our comfortable, home-like environment. Most importantly, Cardinal Village boasts 24-hour licensed nursing coverage because the care of our residents is our #1 priority!

June 22, 2013

Cardinal Village Assisted Living Community was a very nice facility. Their staff were very nice and friendly. They were run very nicely, but they only give you two meals a day, and I think they should give you three for what they charge.

Thank you for taking the time to visit Cardinal Village and post a review. We are glad that you found the community and staff friendly and nice. However, I wanted to point out that three meals a day are included in the Assisted Living rates.

July 23, 2012

By krypticol

Cardinal Village staff is the best! My aunt lives there and the new Activities Staff is WONDERFUL!! So are the nurses, just everyone. It is a relief to know that she is so well cared for.

January 19, 2012

By NancyJacob

This is a very good senior care facility located in Sewell, N.J. The Cardinal Village Senior Living Community offers independent and assisted living services and provides various one- and two-bedroom apartments and studios. The center additionally provides personal care services, such as social interaction, dining options, assistance with medicine, daily transportation and crafts, music and games. It also has various amenities, including park lounge, chapel, parking, and patio and gazebo.

Independent Living Reviews for Cardinal Village

January 08, 2021

By RaymondA

My parents moved to Cardinal Village about 10 years ago from their home nearby. They were always independent and made their own choices. This move was based on my mother's declining health. They selected a lovely spacious apartment, which they both enjoyed. After two years my mother's health needs required assisted living. The staff was marvelous in working with us to make this transition possible. In assisted living my mother received all necessary care for the remainder of her life. My father stayed in the original apartment and was able to be with her for significant periods of time daily. He remains in his original apartment and remains very independent. Staff at all levels continue to be supportive, kind, and caring. They are extremely dedicated to maintaining the highest quality of life for residents. Then there is COVID-19. I applaud the dedication of management and all staff in their efforts to keep residents safe, comfortable, and feeling cared for in these extremely difficult times. Thank you Cardinal Village.

October 06, 2020

By ChrisDod

Cardinal Village came highly recommended to me and I am so glad that I listened. My parents love Cardinal Village. This was the best thing that happened to them!!

By Rennie D

My Dad moved to Cardinal Village at the beginning of the year. The staff has been incredible from the beginning. So welcoming, warm, and responsive all the time. They go out of their way to help him whenever they can. The apartments are large and spacious, and the best part is that they have screened in patios so that I can visit from outside whenever I want. That has been a blessing for our family and dad during the last several months especially. I can’t thank the staff enough for always keeping us up to date and making my Dad’s life so much better!

October 08, 2019

By Edward B

We moved my dad here several years ago after my mom died. He was very lonely and we thought that it would be good for him to be able to do things with his peers. We looked at several communities and thought that Cardinal Village was the best choice. The rooms were very large with wonderful screened in patios. Everyone was so helpful, friendly, caring and accommodating and you got such a warm feeling when you walked into the building. You could see that everyone enjoyed living here and that they were well cared for. My dad has thrived living at Cardinal Village. We are so glad that we made this decision to move him here. We would highly recommend this community if you are looking. We can't say enough good things about everyone & everything.

September 24, 2019

By Dominic C

I've lived at Cardinal Village for many years and I'm very happy and satisfied. I have a very large one bedroom apartment with a screened in patio and I brought all of my things from home. The food is very good. There is a library, lounges, a chapel, a movie theater, they have a beauty salon and they do activities every day. They have transportation to all different places. I checked some other places and this was the best places for me. I am so glad that I came here. They have cards, Bingo, movies and so many other things to do. The value is great. I have made a lot of friends.

May 31, 2019

By Marian

The person who took us around Cardinal Village was very nice, and the staff was very good. The place was very nice but needs updating and it was a little dark. Everybody there seems to like it though. The place is all one level, which is nice.

November 05, 2018

By Kathy

I was at Cardinal Village. I was very impressed with it, and I’m considering living there. They have a theater, a bingo hall, a library, a study, a gym, and a sauna. The apartments were very spacious, and the apartment that they showed me was getting painted, and getting ready for a person to move in. it was nicely painted. The lady who gave me the tour was absolutely excellent, answered all my questions, got my daughter and I something to drink, and called the next day to see if I had any questions. I was very impressed with her. They have card game night, and a board game night if you have to play Monopoly or Scrabble. I really like that every apartment has an enclosed porch, that you can go out and sit on the porch every summer, it’s enclosed, and it has screen and glass. The other thing I liked is I have a pet, and I can bring my pet. That’s very important to me.

July 14, 2017

By Cliff's son

My 88 year old father moved into Cardinal Village one year ago. He really likes it there and has made many friends. The independent living apartments are well designed and have outdoor porches which is where he loves to spend his time listening to audio books. What makes Cardinal Village really special is its staff. They often tell me that they "love my dad" and I can see that they really mean it. His well-being and happiness is their #1 priority. They understand the struggles associated with caring for an aging parent and have made the process much more comfortable for my family. We are all very happy with Cardinal Village.

May 09, 2017

By Karen514400

I liked Cardinal Village. The rooms could have been a little bigger, but it was laid out well. The people were friendly. The place seemed clean and well kept. The dining area seemed fine. It was a smaller community with activities.

January 07, 2017

By Robert374572

My father was at an apartment at Cardinal Village, and it was excellent. The community was very clean and organized. There was a menu, and he was able to order what he wanted; he said the food was great. The staff was very helpful. There were activities.

August 22, 2016

By D020440

My mother has moved into Cardinal Village in Sewell and likes it a lot. There are a lot of things for her to do. It’s very clean. They seem to take care of her very well, so she really likes it. The staff is very nice. If you need something, they come right out. If there’s something in the apartment that’s not working, they come out and fix it right away. If my mother forgets to ring her check-in button, they send someone right to her room. It’s very good. I don't have any complaints at all. They have activities, bingo, a dining hall for all meals, and a courtyard if they want to spend time outside. She has a very nice, small apartment.

April 06, 2016

By Susan113212550

My parents moved into Cardinal Village at the end of November, and they like it, so far. They're in a big place in independent living, which is nice. It was one of the bigger places that I had seen. They think the people are really nice and complain a little bit about the food, which is pretty typical. There was an episode with my father where he he had gone out the front door; he thought it was daytime when it was actually nighttime, and the door locked behind him. There wasn't anyone at the front desk nor was there a bell or anything outside for him to ring when he figured out that it wasn't daytime. It was 3:00 a.m. He ended up going around the back of the facility where some man saw him and took him over to the assisted living side where there were people able to let him in. We weren't happy with that because that could've been a really bad situation. It would've been nice if they had cameras at the front doors that they could've seen what was happening. There's a code that you could get to open the front door, but my dad has Alzheimer's and didn't know the code. Overall, they're pretty happy there. Their room is a very spacious two-bedroom, two-bathroom with a screened-in porch in the back. However, there are three steps to go down to the porch, and my dad's in a wheelchair.

We are really glad to hear that your parents are happy in their apartment! The situation that you describe was scary and safety is an important consideration for seniors who are living independently. Typically, safety (either personal or medical) is the reason that residents move from Independent Living to Assisted Living. All the safety features you identified do exist in Assisted Living. I am happy that we were able to work with you and your parents to find a solution to keep them safe in their independent apartment at this time. I encourage you to speak to the Executive Director for more information on a ramp so that your father can enjoy the patio!

February 28, 2014

When I went to visit Cardinal Village Senior Living Community, it did not feel like a place that I would want to go to. It was more of an assisted living facility than an independent living one. It was run-down, the carpets were worn, the rooms needed updating, and the hallways were dark and narrow. The dining room also served as their activity center, so there were too many people at the same place at the same time. There were activities for the residents. But still, it was not a place I wanted to be. They needed a major update, brighter and wider hallways.

I encourage you to make a return trip to Cardinal Village! While we are constantly renovating and doing our best to stay ‘up to date,’ we want Cardinal Village to be a comfortable, home-like environment for seniors who aren’t used to (and often don’t like) things “brand new.” Most importantly, I encourage you to ask about Cardinal Village’s commitment to resident care. Our residents love our Brunch and thrive on the opportunity to be together in the common areas of the community. Thank you, Gretchen

Costs for Cardinal Village

Photos of Cardinal Village

Services and Amenities of Cardinal Village

• Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• Dining Extra: All Independent Living Residents Have Full Kitchens In The Apartments. Continental Breakfast & Dinner Is Included In The Independent Living Rate. There Is An Optional Brunch Available.

• General Store
  • Features Extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym, Movie Theater, Chapel, Emergency Call System

• Technology Extra: Computer With Internet Access Available In The Library

• Pharma

• Pets: Yes

• Licenses: State of New Jersey
  • State Licenses: 35A001

About Cardinal Village

When a little help is needed with daily living, Cardinal Village provides just the right amount in a safe and caring environment. The staff support allows residents the opportunity to live life to the fullest. Assistance with everyday tasks, making sure nutritional and medical needs are met, socialization and continuing hobbies and interests is our top priority.

In addition to Independent Living, Cardinal Village offers an Assisted Living Program with personalized care in homelike surroundings. Choose from one of the beautifully appointed, one- and two-bedroom garden setting apartments, each with a kitchenette and private bath. Residents stay connected to the outdoors with their own screened-in patio and area where they can plant flowers or vegetables and herbs each year.

Daily support services include 24-hour skilled nursing care, emergency call system, three delicious meals, housekeeping, social events and transportation. A physician's office, laboratory service, and physical, speech and occupational therapy facility are on-site. Cardinal Village communicates regularly with loved ones and health care professionals to ensure all needs are met.

Take what you love about independent living and you will find it at Cardinal Village. Leave the rest behind (snow shoveling, lawn mowing, repairs, cleaning!) and enjoy a carefree retirement without the responsibilities of being a homeowner. Cardinal Village offers Independent Living in spacious garden setting apartments and, if needed, an Assisted Living program with personalized care in a homelike environment.

Choose from one of the beautifully appointed one- and two-bedroom apartments, each with its own full kitchen and private bath. Stay connected to the outdoors with your own screened-in patio and area where you can plant flowers or vegetables and herbs each year. Cardinal Village loves animals and welcomes pets as new residents too.

Enjoy things to do? Take an exercise class, play cards or games with new friends, or watch a movie in the on-site theatre. Because transportation is provided, take a trip to the local farmer's market or go shopping. Traveling to doctor's appointments, stores and group outings happens daily.

Be happy and comfortable in your new home while having all of the amenities you've always enjoyed. Feel safe, secure and able to do more of what you intended to do in your golden years at Cardinal Village.

Our Director of Nursing was recognized as Unsung Hero in South Jersey Biz "Best of Health Care" Issue for 2014. We accept small pets in our Independent Living. Our apartments have screened in porches.

Map of Cardinal Village