Winter Growth

Reviews of Winter Growth

Adult Day Care Reviews for Winter Growth

September 19, 2013

By sclassic

My wife, who has early onset Alzheimer's, participates in the day program four days a week. A little over a year ago she started with two days a week, and we moved to four days since her disease has progressed. I am very happy with the staff. They are friendly, accessible, and flexible. My wife enjoys the activities - there is always something going on - and she also usually enjoys the food, which is great since lunch is her main meal of the day. I chose Winter Growth for the location, cost, and transportation. The facilities do show some wear, but overall they are in good shape. In my opinion, the staff, the care, and the program are more important than the carpet.

September 18, 2013

By balancedreview

My mother has been associated with Winter Growth/Montgomery Center since the summer of 2006, first as a day program attendee for 18 months and, then, as a resident since January 2008. With very few exceptions, she has been happy and at home there from the beginning. It’s very hard to consider placing an elderly loved one, and our own vision can be clouded with emotions, causing us to sometimes consider our own needs and desires above those of our parent. Since Mom’s move to Winter Growth nearly six years ago, I’ve learned a few things about the process. It’s important to honestly assess your parent’s (or other loved one’s) personality, current needs, and what would make them happy. Take yourself out of the equation, unless your dad wants to live under a bridge or something. My mom has always been a very sociable person and enjoyed membership in many groups, clubs and associations. She now has dementia, and it’s difficult for her to initiate and retain the memory of conversations/relationships, so she benefits from the structure of organized group activities. Winter Growth has been a nice fit for Mom because of its wonderful day program, with activities ranging from musical guest performers and dancing, manicure days, exercise programs, word games, crafts, religious services (for those interested), parties, etc. Her cognitive abilities are impaired, so this level of mental activity is gratifying for her. I always like to spy on her for a few minutes and watch her participate during these times, before I make my presence known and take her for lunch and a drive. Do the best you can to anticipate your parent’s future needs. For me, Mom’s dementia diagnosis clarified things a bit. She definitely entered Winter Growth functioning at a higher level, but her reading skills and vision have deteriorated, she no longer crochets her famous dishcloths and can sometimes forget who she’s talking to on the phone or not recognize family members. She needs more prodding and guidance when getting around. This process will unfold for her, regardless of the environment. Thankfully, she is still upright and using a walker. As a small facility, with about 15 bedrooms or so, it’s easier for Mom to get around, both physically and memory-wise, at Winter Growth. Once, we were offered a tour of the facility at Mom’s memory assessment clinic, and I was dismayed as I imagined Mom trying to navigate its miles of corridors. For Mom, Winter Growth’s modest size has become a plus. While first impressions of any facility are somewhat important, they are not nearly the whole story. When we were looking around, we visited a few places that had tastefully-decorated, shiny-floored lobbies, but I also noticed the few, solitary residents gazing out of the windows with no one to talk to. Some of these places were rather tomb-like—cavernous, quiet and still. Winter Growth is an aging facility, but its profusion of colorful bulletin boards, plants and flowers, central courtyard, buzzing activity and cheerful staff (some of whom have been there longer than my mother—an important observation, to me) outweigh the facility’s physical shortcomings, as compared to other, newer facilities. At Winter Growth, my mother is engaged as much as she possibly can be, she feels comfortable because of the place’s home-like qualities and familiar decor, and she is as safe and well-looked after as is possible for any frail person who is still mobile. She frequently mentions her delight at having her own room, with all of her own things surrounding her, rather than having to share a bedroom. She doesn’t seem at all troubled by sharing a bathroom, either, especially as there is one adjoining her bedroom, just outside the door! Winter Growth meets and exceeds my mother’s needs, given her physical and mental condition. She seems happy and emotionally and psychologically buoyed there. That’s all that really matters.
See all Adult Day Care reviews (6) See fewer reviews

Photos of Winter Growth

Services and Amenities of Winter Growth

• Nurse On Staff: Available During Business Hours

About Winter Growth

Welcome to Winter Growth

Helping Older and Disabled Adults to Celebrate Live

Winter Growth is a non-profit organization founded in 1979 in Brookeville, MD. Our mission is to provide community based services for older and disabled adults that support them in achieving their highest potential for independence, dignity, and life satisfaction. We are licensed by the State of Maryland to provide Adult Medical Day Care and Assisted Living. Our vehicles for the Assisted Transportation Program are certified twice a year for safety by the State.

At Winter Growth, we recognize that each individual has a different set of needs. We know that there are times when a nursing home is the best care solution. When an individual truly needs 24-hour care by registered nurses and on site physicians, the nursing home is often the best venue to receive this care. However, unwanted nursing home placement is sometimes chosen for lack of services that could support people in their home or in a small assisted living home.

The flexible menus of care services we have developed are designed to work individually or in combination to help older adults avoid unnecessary institutionalization. Often a nursing home could be avoided but for the availability of a service that can reasonably be provided in the community. At Winter Growth, we are committed to filling those gaps.

Our services are also designed to support families in their desire to continue to care for their family members in their homes or sometimes in one of our small family-style assisted living programs. Each of our services has the goal of promoting integrity, self-esteem, and life satisfaction for both older and/or disabled adults and their family members.

Services Include:

• Caregiver Support Groups
  • Assisted Living
  • Respite Care, Hourly and Overnight
  • Assisted Transportation
Winter Growth’s target populations include older adults:
  • Who are isolated, lacking social contact, mental stimulation, exercise, and proper nutrition.
  • Who lack appropriate transportation to access medical care.
  • Who suffer from age-related depression or long-term mental health issues.
  • Who live with one or more chronic illness(es) that limits their ability to perform primary or secondary activities of daily living.
  • Who require a secure environment with experienced staff and structured activities during the day and/or evening hours.
  • Who require nursing oversight (less than 24 hours a day) for a chronic illness or disability.

Funding and Fees

Winter Growth is a 501(c)(3) fee for service organization. We set fees designed to cover our cost of providing quality services, and then work to identify all available sources to help individuals of moderate and low income to pay those fees.

Our largest funding source is Private Pay. However, we also accept:

• Foster Care Subsidies
  • Long Term Care and Workers Compensation Insurance
  • Veterans Administration Subsidies

Contact Us

We would be happy to hear from you. Please call us to talk with our Social Service Staff 8:30 – 4:30 Monday through Friday.

• In Columbia: 410-964-9616.
  • In Olney: 301-774-7501.
  • Hearing Impaired: Dial 7-1-1 and ask for MD. Relay.
  • Need Language Interpreter: Phone 301-774-7501 for arrangements.

Our locations