15 Independent Living Communities near Jacksonville, FL

2014, 2015, 2016

Brookdale Atrium Way

9960 Atrium Way, Jacksonville, FL, 32225

I like living here and never want to leave. I use the transportation to go play golf when I want to. I have made a lot of new friends and like that we’re all in the same place. I’m well taken c … (read more)

Wyndham Lakes

10660 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

I liked Wyndham Lakes a lot. The community was very nice. The staff was very welcoming and knowledgeable about what they could offer us. It was a very good visit.

Camellia at Deerwood

10061 Sweetwater Pkwy, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

Camellia at Deerwood was a very impressive place, but it was out of our price range. They had bingo and enough activities to keep you busy. We saw the dining area. It’s in a very good location in town … (read more)

2017, 2018

Augustine Landing

10141 Old Saint Augustine Rd, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

Augustine Landing was an older, more established community than the other places I visited. The facility was well maintained. We liked it a lot and that would have been our first choice. The staff was … (read more)

2014, 2015

Brookdale Southside

9601 Southbrook Dr., Jacksonville, FL, 32256

We visited Brookdale Southside five years ago and they haven’t changed too much except in price. My partner and I were impressed the first time. There was no place to store our tricycle, but I could m … (read more)

HarborChase of Mandarin

12350 San Jose Blvd., Jacksonville, FL, 32223

HarborChase of Mandarin is beautiful and highly recommended to anybody. My mom moved in August and is staying in independent living. The staff and services are excellent. My mom enjoys bingo, cards, a … (read more)

2019

Taylor Manor/Villas

6605 Chester Ave., Jacksonville, FL, 32217

Westminster Woods on Julington Creek

25 State Road 13, Jacksonville, FL, 32259

We know several people already there at Westminster Woods on Julington Creek. The fees are high, but it looks like a nice place. They also seem happy with their place. The person who showed us around … (read more)

The Coves at River Garden

11401 Old Saint Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32258

I liked The Coves at River Garden. It was very clean, not large, and had a lot of activities. I met the director. They had an indoor pool. The only problem is there’s a waiting list of a year or a yea … (read more)

Cathedral Residences

601 N Newnan St, Jacksonville, FL, 32202

I have been a resident here for 7 years, 221 apts, also part time desk worker as we are a gated community, with many care givers in and out daily, nurses, Dr’s, a mobile Vet also, many visitors, … (read more)

Marcis Pointe

6734 103rd Street, Jacksonville, FL, 32210

The Marcis Pointe has an absolutely gorgeous accommodation. It was built two years ago, so it’s brand new and beautiful. My mom’s apartment is very nice.

Cecil Pines

6008 Lake Cove Ave., Jacksonville, FL, 32221

My mother has been in Cecil Pines for five years now. It is very quiet, but there are no facilities, no eating, and no delivery. There is a kitchen, people cook, and some residents still even work. It … (read more)

Caroline Oaks Apartments

5175 Main Street North , Jacksonville, FL, 32208

I visited Caroline Oaks, but it was not a good fit because we needed more assistance. It’s nice, clean, and quiet. I saw a nice-sized one-bedroom apartment with a nice kitchen. They had movie nights a … (read more)

Hurley Manor Apartments

3333 University Boulevard North, Jacksonville, FL, 32277

Hurley Manor is a nice place. They are very small, 400 sq. ft. apartments and they have a lot of activities and things like that. They are very nice, but it would be something I would have to arrange … (read more)

Taylor Apartments

6701 Chester Avenue, Jacksonville, FL, 32217

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in Jacksonville, FL

Jacksonville is an affordable city to live in, especially compared to Florida as a whole. Overall, living expenses are slightly lower than the national median and about 10% lower than the statewide median, which may make it a good choice for Florida seniors seeking an affordable retirement option. It also has a comfortable climate throughout the year with highs ranging between 65 and 91 degrees and virtually no snowfall, which may be ideal for active adults who enjoy outdoor activities, such as boating, hiking or bird-watching.

Jacksonville is home to a vibrant arts and culture scene, giving active seniors a variety of attractions to explore. Retirees can enjoy points of interest, including the Alexander Brest Planetarium, the Museum of Science and History and the Ritz Theatre and LaVilla Museum, all of which offer discounted admission to seniors.

Paying for Independent Living in Jacksonville, FL

Jacksonville is a relatively expensive city for independent living. On average, retirees pay about $2,679 per month for independent living in Jacksonville, compared to the national median of $2,550. This may be a consideration for those who have limited retirement budgets.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in Jacksonville, FL

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in Jacksonville. Use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
Free Public Transportation

Adults aged 65 and over qualify for the Senior ID STAR card, which allows them to ride for free or discounted fare. Transportation services are provided courtesy of the Jacksonville Transit Authority, which operates 50 buses, shuttle, light rail and ferry routes throughout the region. STAR cards can be picked up at the STAR Card Office at the Rosa Parks Transit Station.
Senior Centers

The City of Jacksonville Senior Services Division operates 20 senior centers throughout the city, providing area seniors aged 60 and over with a variety of social, recreational and educational opportunities. While amenities and programs may vary, many local senior centers offer activities, such as fitness classes, arts and crafts, day and extended trips and social gatherings. Many centers also offer noontime meals, giving members the opportunity to visit with one another. Hours of operation vary by location.
RSVP Volunteer Program

Adults aged 55 and over can serve as volunteers with RSVP, the nation’s largest volunteer organization. This program offers volunteers the flexibility of deciding when, where, how many hours and which days they wish to serve. Some volunteer opportunities include reading to preschool, kindergarten and first grade children at the local public school, assisting nonprofits that serve veterans and providing social interaction, companionship and meal services in independent living communities.
Foster Grandparent Program

(904) 630-5450Jacksonville residents aged 55 and over can volunteer for the city’s Foster Grandparent program. Through this program, older adults can build relationships and serve as tutors for kids who have physical or intellectual disabilities, visual or hearing impairments or have been abused. In exchange, volunteers receive a tax-free hourly stipend, lunch allowance, annual physical exams and travel reimbursement.