Oak Park Arms

Offers Assisted Living, Independent Living, Continuing Care Communities, and Adult Day Care

408 S Oak Park Ave., Oak Park, IL 60302
Oak Park Arms (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Oak Park Arms

Assisted Living Reviews for Oak Park Arms

July 17, 2017

By Gary

Oak Park was a nice facility for the elderly. The lobby seemed spacious and had a security guard. They had one-bedrooms that were like a hotel room with bathroom, dresser, and closet. They had rooms for activities, games, and a cafeteria, where they served two meals a day.

February 07, 2017

By Christopher712837

I visited Oak Park, it's in the suburbs, and it's like a refurbished hotel with small rooms. The layout and the activities seemed nice. The people were very friendly and informed. It had elevators and security system for getting in and out. It was situated near a park, and shopping there was nice. They have presentation, talks, dance, game activities, and holiday-type activities, and they have a printout sheet they can look over. They were very accommodating, and they were going to accommodate my diabetic diet. They had a good range of food and choices, and it was a healthy balanced meal.

January 10, 2017

By Bob656526

My wife stayed at Oak Park Arms for respite care in a single room with an included meal plan. The building was quite old, not modern. The interior rooms haven't been renovated, but they're clean, newly carpeted, and freshly painted. The architecture and arrangement of the room and location of the bathroom were quite cramped and difficult to use. The staff was very caring and worked very hard. The residents seemed relatively happy and accepting of the circumstances.

December 05, 2016

By Andrea702233

Oak Park Arms was awesome. It was very clean, and they were installing new carpets and putting on new paint. It was an old building, but it was nice. It used to be a hotel, and it was very lovely. It was right in the heart of Oak Park, so it has a very charming neighborhood feel to it. The location was very nice; it's not like it's in the middle of nowhere. The rooms looked like they're being upgraded and making them more handicap accessible. Their price plan was excellent. The residents here were very active, and the staff was super friendly.

November 19, 2016

By JJ304611

Oak Park Arms offered several types of different facilities and care for seniors. They were very cordial and answered all my questions. The staff was pretty nice and accommodating but not as friendly as others. They're located on a very busy corner, and the inside was pretty well-kept. They had day rooms with people working with them for assisted living. They showed us one room that was already furnished, and it was OK. It wasn't as large as I thought as they would have been, but it was clean.

By Bill088477

My visit at Oak Park Arms was a good experience. There was an exercise room and a salon. They had a lot of activities for the residents.

September 10, 2016

By Mary V.

Be careful before signing the lease. The management has you sign an addendum about medical care. If it is so important, put it in the lease. They conveniently left it out of the docs they copied for me, so I was operating without all the pertinent documents for six months. If you or your loved one have a medical emergency that requires you to leave Oak Park Arms, they will charge you for two more months of rent. It doesn't matter that they can't provide adequate care, or if you have three medical professionals and all the 24/7 caregivers they required, who say the facility is not adequate for needed care. They even had the audacity to say that if my mother had died, they wouldn't have required the two extra months rent. I would have been better off under the lease, if my mother had DIED, in other words. Furthermore, they will keep your security deposit without giving any itemized receipts of damage caused. They refused to return the deposit based on their guestimates of damage, and refused to work with the renter's insurance agent. Lastly, they were unjustly enriched, because they rented the apartment while collecting rent from my mother. They are nothing but moneygrubbers, always looking out for ways to get more from the tenants. They now require renters to do an automatic account withdrawal to get their rent more quickly and without the renter having control. This review is about the management staff, not the people who actually do the work. They were very nice, sensitive people.

June 30, 2016

By Patricia125733

We visited Oak Park Arms. The place is very nice, but it’s overpriced. We saw the rooms and they were really small, but the staff was nice. They were very helpful. Overall, it’s a small and old place.

May 10, 2016

By Claudia23

Oak Park Arms is really nice with a barber shop, a beauty shop, a restaurant. The apartments are huge as can be. They have a lot of activities. If I were to retire today and dedide to live out of my house, I would live there. The apartment is just extremely cute. They have bingo and Tai chi. What I really like about this place is once a month, they are allowed to speak their minds on what their concerns are and what they want different. The staff are very nice and helpful.

March 28, 2016

By Caring Daughter122173750

We put our mother in Oak Park Arms for a short time and were very pleased with the facility. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The administrators were very supportive. The rooms were fine. The reason we chose that for my relative over other places was because she lived in Chicago, and this had a little bit more of the city atmosphere about it. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

December 28, 2015

By Kathie P

We visited Oak Park Arms, and the lady who met us was very nice. It had a place for dancing and a piano. The apartments had an apartment feel. The price was acceptable. It was my aunt’s first choice, but it was too far away from us. Their dining area was more like a restaurant with a menu and very pleasant. They have lots of activities with some even open to the public.

October 30, 2015

By Joseph46

People here at Oak Park have been very friendly and very open to different things. It’s an older community for me. The rooms are small; I'm basically in a large closet because that’s what I can afford, but it’s nice, and they keep it well maintained. The food portion is small for me, but for the old people, it’s OK because they can’t eat as much as they used to. The staff member are very congenial, care about the residents and try hard.

June 25, 2015

Oak Park Arms was an old hotel that they converted into a retirement home. The person who interview me did a very nice job. They seemed to be very thorough and seemed to have some nice personnel there. The place seemed well-organized. It was a nice place with good food. They also seemed to have a lot of activities there. It's a nice place if you want to go out for a walk to nearby stores in the area. They take you to doctor's appointments too. They have small rooms but I don't think I need much space. They also have rooms downstairs for activities, TV and bingo. They have special evenings with music or dancing. They bring in lecturers for talks. They play games and get people involved.

March 07, 2015

My mother is in Oak Park. Her room was efficient. She has a bed, a dresser, a bathroom, a closet, and a small refrigerator, but they do not give her a bath. I have tried their food, and between a one and a nine, I would say it is about a five. One thing I like about them is that she is happy right now. They have a lot of activities like live entertainment.

December 26, 2014

By Annette15

My visit with Oak Park Arms was good. It was an older building, which was kind of quaint. I like it because they have music piped in there. The dining area was OK. The apartments were very bright, but they didn't have skilled nursing and that was the downside about this place. However, what I like about Oak Parks was that they have a ballroom there and music. They have a lot of activities for the seniors -- like musical activities -- so that seemed good. The staff was very friendly.

February 28, 2014

I like Oak Park Arms. It was little less upscale. It was not quite as elegant as the other facility. But on the other hand, that's part of what I find attractive, that it was not too polished. I think it is probably a little more affordable. My podiatrist has an office in there. That is another location that I would consider. It is only a couple of blocks from where I'm living now. It is in a very convenient location under any circumstances. I didn't see as many people that I know, although I do know some of the people who live there. I did tour the apartments, and they seemed nice.

August 13, 2013

By Nancy65389450

Oak Park Arms was great. That's the place that my mom would live in. There were a lot of people around, lots of residents, and everybody was friendly. It's a very well involved community. They had a ton of activities. They had kitchens and studios, so if you wanted to cook you could get a room where you could cook. You don't have to buy a meal plan which was very nice and it made the rate really low. The staff was great.

June 17, 2013

By caring0543

My mother-in-law is getting the right care at Oak Park Arms and we're very happy with it. We like it very much. The overall quality that she is receiving in care is much to our liking.

January 09, 2012

By Caring201973

I really liked this facility and would highly recommend it. When I drove up to the place I was a bit concerned because I had to either pay for parking (which is nominal I must admit) or find street parking which was difficult on a Saturday morning. The facility is in a busy area on Oak Park avenue. However, once inside it is like being transported back in time. Oak Park Arms is 90 years old and used to be a luxury hotel. The common areas have high ceilings, ornate chandeliers and beautiful rugs. The facility is going through a renovation so there isn't any furniture in the lobby right now and some of the rooms are being renovated. What I did see on the first floor was very inviting. There is an art gallery, library with three computers and a huge ballroom which seems like a throwback to another era. Apparently there is dancing on some Sunday evenings with Seymour's Big Band, and in the summer they host a "Big Prom." Every month they host a birthday party. There is also a patio room with an enclosed outdoor deck to be used in the summer time and I am told there is a rooftop deck as well, but is now being renovated. The dining room on the main floor seemed very inviting. Three meals are included in the price of the assisted living and residents can chose from different entrees at mealtime. There is also a beauty shop and a barber shop for men. I was told that the barber had been the main barber from the Palmer House hotel. I looked at a furnished one bedroom apartment. It was roomy with two bathrooms (that is kind of astonishing). The appliances looked a bit old fashioned, but that may change with the renovation. The hallways were clean, although similar to an old hotel, a little musty. That will also probably change with the renovation. There are also laundry rooms and for people in assisted living they have their own eating area, although they can choose to go to the main dining room on the first floor. The one thing that I did not like was that while the facility had a lot to offer in terms of culture and social activities, I did not think it was as inclusive religiously. For example, there was a Christmas tree, but no menorah for Chanukah, and the facility offers Christian religious services, but not Jewish (although there is a bus that takes people to synagogues as well as churches in the area). I thought the receptionist very nice and one of the staff (I think she was the activities director) was helpful. Overall I thought this was really a lovely and welcoming place and I wouldn't hesitate to move there myself. I especially liked that it seems well integrated in the community with all kinds of people volunteering their gifts and talents

September 30, 2011

By John S.

This is a pretty darn nice little home for the elderly. It is located in the lovely and historical Oak Park neighborhood, surrounded by homes influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright, great old trees, and cheerful parks. The exterior is pleasant and inviting, and inside you will find a very clean, welcoming environment that strives to make its tenants as comfortable and happy as possible. We took my great aunt to stay here as she became dependent in her old age, and I'm content with out choice.The staff here is warm and caring, they always approach with a smile and hands extended. My aunt seems very happy there and that is the most important part of all. I don't get to visit her as much as I'd like to, but luckily the administration there is very good about keeping our family up to date on her condition. They report any notable incidents regarding her physical and mental well being and help her with the phone and even the computer to help us stay in touch with her. If anyone in the area is seeking a reliable, safe haven for an elderly friend or relative, I would highly recommend Oak Park Arms.

Independent Living Reviews for Oak Park Arms

February 25, 2018

By Marykay

I visited Oak Park Arms. The apartments were a little small. They had bingo, groups playing cards, a bus that comes and takes people places, and a library. The staff was very friendly and very helpful.

By Karen774248

Oak Park Arms was very nice; we liked it. They have Bingo and outings. The dining area was nice, and the staff was very nice and very accommodating.

By Patrice604483

Oak Park Arms was very nice, there’s a lot to do, and the people seemed to be active and enjoyed where they were. The location is one that is stimulating, and the area that it’s in is family oriented. They have Bingo room, a place to rest in a rocking chair, discussions, and bible study. I saw the adult day care room, and I was considering using that. The dining area was excellent, and it seemed like you were visiting a restaurant. It had a nice decorum and was comfortable. The staff was very attentive and seemed to like what they were doing in terms of working with the elderly.

July 09, 2016

By Michele478087

We were pleased with Oak Park Arms; my mother was there five years ago before she went to another residential placement. They had very good programming, had very open administration, and did a lot with the community.

February 17, 2016

By Caring son36

Oak Park Arms was small and didn't have enough activities. The rooms were small and need to be updated. They’ve got an auditorium for events, a computer room, and a library.

November 09, 2015

I moved into Oak Park Arms. The staff make the place feel like home. The people are very friendly, and the place is clean. They have different rooms to accommodate the different needs of the residents. The food is good, and we have activities every day; right now, we will go dancing in the ballroom.

August 14, 2014

Oak Park Arms was obviously a very old structure, and it didn't look that clean. It has the original doors and the original wood trim baseboards. It's been scratched over the decades and repainted. We ate there, and it wasn't very good. We saw a couple of units in the independent living area, but the particular units that were available were so far from the elevator. It was a really long walk, and my father-in-law has a lot of trouble walking, even with a walker. They have activities there. They have a ballroom, and they go together for activities in the ballroom.

Adult Day Care Reviews for Oak Park Arms

About Oak Park Arms

Oak Park Arms is a senior living provider in Oak Park, Illinois that offers residents Assisted Living, Independent Living, Continuing Care Communities, and Adult Day Care. Contact Oak Park Arms for more details on services and rates.

Map of Oak Park Arms