4 Assisted Living Facilities near Tyrone, PA
Also serving communities of Brisbin, Huntingdon.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Tyrone area, with 3 in Tyrone and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Tyrone is $2,722 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 15 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Tyrone. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Tyrone 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hollidaysburg with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Tyrone, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Tyrone, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Tyrone
Tyrone is home to less than 2,000 residents, about 16% of whom are age 65 and over. Among this small community's most popular points of interest is Reservoir Park, which has an amphitheater where visitors can see live entertainment throughout the summer.
In spite of the community's small size, Tyrone has three assisted living facilities for seniors to choose from, with one additional facility in the neighboring city of Altoona. In Pennsylvania, assisted living facilities are also referred to as assisted living residences and personal care homes. Assisted living residences are licensed through the Department of Aging, and personal care homes are licensed by the Department of Public Welfare.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Tyrone
- In Tyrone, seniors do not pay state income tax their Social Security benefits and income from retirement accounts, even on that which is taxed at the federal level. Those aged 60 and over do not pay state income tax on pension income.
- The air quality in Blair County, where Tyrone is located, is decent, which may make it a good option for seniors with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions. The American Lung Association gave the county a C for ozone pollution and an A for short-term particle pollution.
- Tyrone's overall crime rate is lower than 30% of U.S. cities and communities of all sizes and about 20% of Pennsylvania cities of all sizes. However, when compared only to cities of similar population sizes, Tyrone's overall crime rate is near the median, which may provide peace of mind for seniors.
- The Tyrone area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Tyrone Regional Health Network, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Over the course of a year, temperatures in Tyrone range between 22 degrees and 82 degrees. The warm season lasts from late-May to mid-September, and the cold season lasts from the beginning of December to the beginning of March. Seniors may want to find an assisted living facility that provides individual climate control in private living quarters.
- The cost of living in Tyrone is about 13% below the U.S. average, which may reduce the cost of assisted living in this community. In addition to lower living expenses, seniors can also expect to pay about 13% less on doctor's office visits, hospital stays and dental care than they would elsewhere in the nation.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tyrone
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Tyrone start around $2,722 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Tyrone and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Tyrone
Tyrone seniors who qualify for Supplemental Security Income may use this benefit toward their room and board expenses in an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Tyrone
Tyrone and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Tyrone, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Tyrone
Tyrone-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Tyrone
Review of Colonial Courtyard at Tyrone
A sweet little gem! The residents are loved and cared for by a great team. The residents seem to enjoy each other's company and many gather on the front porch when the weather allows. Chloe is the ... Read more
Review of Epworth Manor
Epworth Manor is an older facility, and they are upgrading it. Everything has been good so far. My mother-in-law loves the food. The dining area looks okay. They have great activities. They bring i... Read more
Review of Colonial Courtyard at Tyrone
My father is in memory care at Colonial Courtyard at Tyrone. It's awesome and we haven't had any problems so far. They're very clean and they're very attentive to my father. We talked to several ot... Read more