9 Assisted Living Facilities near Martinsburg, PA
Also serving communities of Shirleysburg.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Martinsburg area, with 2 in Martinsburg and 7 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 15 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Martinsburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Martinsburg 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hollidaysburg with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Martinsburg, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Martinsburg, PA
7 Assisted Living Facilities near Martinsburg, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Martinsburg
Martinsburg is a small town in the rural Pennsylvania countryside, not far from Altoona, nestled between the forested heights of the central Allegheny mountains. Blair County, where Martinsburg is located, is home to 122,000 people, nearly 21% percent of whom are seniors aged 65 and over. At least eight assisted living facilities operate within the limits of Martinsburg, with several more in the surrounding area. These facilities are all licensed and regulated by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Resources Assisted Living Residence Licensing division, which monitors conditions at Pennsylvania's residential care facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Martinsburg
- The climate in Martinsburg is generally mild, with summer highs that average 81 degrees in August and winter lows in December of 20 degrees. Summer in Martinsburg brings up to 35.5 inches of rain, while winter sees 32 inches of snow each year. Seniors with asthma or COPD may have issues with the high pollen counts in spring, or with the cool, dry air the prevails in winter.
- The cost of living in Martinsburg is approximately 11% lower, across most categories of common expenses, than the national average. Seniors in Martinsburg pay 13% less, on average, for healthcare than seniors do nationwide.
- Crime rates in Martinsburg are very low, at just one-third the national rate for all crime categories combined. Seniors in Martinsburg are especially safe from violent crime, which occurs at just one-fifth the national average, with many years passing between incidences of certain serious crimes.
- Seniors in Martinsburg can get around the Blair County area on the buses and other vehicles of Amtran. Amtran operates scheduled routes as far north as Altoona, with several regular stops in Martinsburg. Seniors can also book paratransit service from Amtran with 24 hours' notice. Riders with disabilities or valid Medicare cards get half off the regular fare, while seniors with a free transit ID card ride at no cost.
- The Martinsburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Conemaugh Nason Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Martinsburg has an array of community resources for seniors, including Blair Senior Services, an organization that operates special senior programs for nutrition at the farmers' market, door-to-door transportation services for medical visits and several health and wellness classes in the Altoona area, as well as more than half a dozen senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Martinsburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Martinsburg start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Martinsburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Martinsburg
Seniors in Martinsburg can get help paying for assisted living with SSI.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Martinsburg
Martinsburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Martinsburg, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Martinsburg
Martinsburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Martinsburg, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Martinsburg
Review of Homewood at Martinsburg
Homewood at Martinsburg is probably as good as any place, maybe better. My mother was only there for two and a half weeks before she passed on. They had all kinds of activities; they had a full ran... Read more
Review of Morrisons Cove Home
The staff is always friendly and tries to help as much as possible when I visit. However, the staff can be inept sometimes in taking too long to take care of issues or not caring like they should.... Read more
Review of Homewood at Martinsburg
Overall, Homewood seemed to be a well-run assisted living facility. I probably visited Homewood a dozen times during the period when my grandmother and great uncle were both living there. Compared ... Read more