16 Assisted Living Facilities near Duncansville, PA
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Duncansville area, with 3 in Duncansville and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Duncansville is $3,615 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 23 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Duncansville. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Duncansville 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hollidaysburg with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Duncansville, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Duncansville, PA
13 Assisted Living Facilities near Duncansville, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Duncansville
There are 16 assisted living facilities in the Duncansville region, including three in the city proper and more than a dozen in the surrounding area. These facilities may be referred to as personal care homes or assisted living residences depending on the populations they serve. Assisted living residences are licensed through the Department of Aging, and personal care homes are licensed through the Department of Public Welfare.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Duncansville
- Pennsylvania does not impose a state income tax on Social Security benefits or income from retirement savings accounts, and Duncansville residents aged 60 and over do not pay state income tax on income from public or private pensions. This may let them put more money toward local assisted living expenses.
- In Blair County, where Duncansville is located, seniors enjoy relatively clean air. The American Lung Association gave this county an A for short-term particle pollution, a passing score for annual particle pollution and a C for ozone pollution.
- Duncansville is a very safe community with an overall crime rate that is lower than 94% of all U.S. cities of all sizes, and its crime rate is among the lowest when compared to cities with similar population sizes. This may make the city a good option for seniors who are looking for a safe community to retire.
- The Duncansville area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Altoona.
- Duncansville's summers are warm and relatively mild with July highs around 82 degrees, which may be well-suited for seniors who are sensitive to hot temperatures. Winters are very chilly, however, with January lows around 22 degrees.
- With a cost of living that is about 15% below the national average, Duncansville may be a good option for seniors with restrictive budgets. Healthcare expenses are also about 15% below the U.S. average, which may appeal to seniors who are managing chronic medical conditions.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Duncansville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Duncansville start around $3,615 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Duncansville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Duncansville
While assisted living services are not covered by the state Medicaid program or any waiver programs, seniors who receive Supplemental Security Income can use this benefit toward room-and-board expenses in a Duncansville assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Duncansville
Duncansville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Duncansville, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Duncansville
Duncansville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Duncansville
Review of Elmcroft of Altoona
My mom has just moved into Elmcroft of Altoona. It has been very good positive experience. The staff has been very welcoming. My mom's apartment is lovely and very nice. It is a studio deluxe, so i... Read more
Review of The Winds At Mattern Orchard
My impression of The Winds At Mattern Orchard was good. Their rooms were nice and there's also a courtyard with gardens. There are various activities the residents can do. The food was very good an... Read more
Review of The Winds At Mattern Orchard
My husband is in The Winds at Mattern Orchard and is doing better than he was in the nursing home. He is still in a wheelchair, but they walk him quite frequently, and he has a little more independ... Read more