16 Assisted Living Facilities near Windber, PA
Also serving communities of Davidsville, Jerome.
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Windber area, with 2 in Windber and 14 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Windber. Better rated regions include Johnstown with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Windber, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Windber, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Windber
In the 19th century, Windber, Pennsylvania, located in Somerset County, welcomed many European immigrants, who came to find jobs in the coal industry. Today, the town has a population of 3,971 people, 22% of whom are aged 65 and over. To serve those seniors needed help with the tasks of daily living, there are two assisted living facilities in Windber and 14 more in nearby communities, such as Johnstown.
In Windber and the rest of Pennsylvania, the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing oversees assisted living facilities, or assisted living residences (ALRs), as they're known in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Windber
- Seniors looking to retire to a low-crime area may appreciate that Windber has a violent crime rate of 22.7, equal to the national average, and at 16, its property crime rate is less than half the U.S. average of 35.4.
- In Windber, summers are moderate, with an average high of 79 degrees in July. However, winter lows average 16 in January, which may be tough on seniors with arthritis and other conditions sensitive to cold weather. In contrast, the national average temperature range is approximately 21-86 degrees. Windber receives approximately 85 inches of snow each winter, compared to the U.S. average of 28 inches.
- According to the EPA, seniors in Windber enjoy better air and water quality than those living in similarly sized towns nationwide. Air and water quality here are 69 and 68, respectively, compared to national averages of 58 for air quality and 55 for water quality.
- While the national and state average cost of living is 100, Windber's cost of living is 73.7, driven by housing costs at one-third of the national average. Seniors living in assisted living may indirectly benefit since housing costs impact facilities' operational costs and may impact monthly fees.
- Windber seniors and those throughout Pennsylvania live in a relatively tax-friendly state. Seniors don't pay taxes on retirement income, including Social Security IRAs, and 401(k)s, which may leave a little more money for assisted living expenses.
- Windber has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Johnstown.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Windber
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Windber start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Windber and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Windber
Pennsylvania's seniors, including those in Windber, who are eligible for SSI might be eligible for financial assistance to pay for assisted living costs. According to PA Code 2800.27, seniors cannot be charged more than their monthly income for assisted living services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Windber
Windber and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Windber, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Windber
Windber-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.