17 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnstown, PA
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Johnstown area, with 8 in Johnstown and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Johnstown is $2,750 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Johnstown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Johnstown 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lilly with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Johnstown, call (855) 863-8283.
8 Assisted Living Facilities in Johnstown, PA
9 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnstown, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Johnstown
The city of Johnstown is located in the Laurel Mountains of southwestern Pennsylvania. The city has a rich history that dates back into the 1800s, which visitors can learn about at the local Flood Museum. Johnstown has nearly 21,000 residents, nearly 20% of whom are aged 65 and over.
In Johnstown, assisted living facilities may be called assisted living residence or personal care homes, depending on the types of units and care services provided. Assisted living residences are licensed through the Department of Aging, and personal care homes are licensed through the Department of Public Welfare. Johnstown seniors have numerous assisted living options to choose from, including eight in the city proper and eight more in nearby cities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Johnstown
- In Johnstown, seniors age 60 and over do not pay state income tax on pension income. Additionally, the state does not impose state income tax on Social Security benefits or income from retirement accounts. This may free up money to cover assisted living expenses.
- Cambria County, where Johnstown is located, has exceptional air quality, which may benefit seniors with conditions like COPD and asthma. The American Lung Association gave the county an A for both ozone pollution and short-term particle pollution, as well as a passing grade for annual particle pollution.
- Johnstown's overall crime rate is higher than 92% of U.S. cities of all sizes and 97% of Pennsylvania cities of all sizes. Furthermore, the city's crime rate is quite a bit higher than in other cities with similar population sizes. Seniors may want to find an assisted living community with security features like high-security locks and alarm systems.
- The Johnstown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Conemaugh Memorial Center and Select Specialty Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Summers in Johnstown are warm and winters are very cold, and it is partly cloudy throughout the year. The July high is 82 degrees, and the January low is 21 degrees. To keep residents comfortable, assisted living facilities often have individual climate controls in private rooms.
- Johnstown is a very affordable place to live, with a cost of living that is about 25% below the national average. This is primarily due to the very low cost of housing in the region, which may result in lower assisted living expenses.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Johnstown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Johnstown start around $2,750 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Johnstown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Johnstown
Johnstown seniors who qualify for Supplemental Security Income can use this cash benefit to pay for their care in an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Johnstown
Johnstown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Johnstown, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Johnstown
Johnstown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Johnstown, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Johnstown
Review of McCullough Place
I like McCullough Place. They have a courtyard that's like a garden in the middle of the place. I like the set up when it comes to that, but when it comes to price, they're way higher than other pl... Read more
Review of The Atrium
We were impressed with The Atrium. It really was a nice place. The staff members were very nice. They were wonderful. When we visited the residents were having their lunch time, so we didn't see ma... Read more
Review of The Atrium
My wife is in The Atrium. The staff has been very pleasant and responsible. The food is average. Her room is above average and has plenty of space. They have common rooms, TV room, activity room, k... Read more