18 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnstown, PA
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the Johnstown area, with 9 in Johnstown and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Johnstown is $3,685 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 14 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Johnstown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Johnstown 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lilly with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Johnstown, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Johnstown, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Johnstown
In 1768, representatives of William Penn's family and the native Iroquois nation met to sign the Treaty of Ft. Stanwix, which led to a land warrant that became the city of Johnstown. Today, 19,447 people live in the city, and 18.7% of the residents are aged 65 and older. Some of them may need assistance with the tasks of daily living. To accommodate these seniors, there are eight assisted living facilities in Johnstown and nine more in surrounding communities, such as Windber and Greensburg.
In Johnstown and all of Pennsylvania, the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing regulates assisted living residences (ALRs), as assisted living facilities are known in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Johnstown
- The cost of living is 18 in Johnstown, compared to state and national averages of 100. This is due mainly to housing costs, which are approximately 20% of the national average. For family members moving here from other parts of the state, this might leave more money in the budget for assisted living care.
- Summer highs in July reach 84 degrees, while winter lows in January drop to 19. These extreme temperatures can be tough on seniors who are sensitive to the heat or cold. While touring facilities, seniors may wish to ask what care is taken to ensure the residents' comfort during shifts in temperature.
- According to the National Air Toxics measurements, taken by the EPA, Johnstown's air quality is 57, on par with the national average of 58. This may mean that seniors with respiratory conditions won't find it harder to breathe here when compared to other cities of similar size.
- Both violent and property crime are higher in Johnstown, at 33.9 and 47.7, respectively, compared to the U.S. average 33.9 for violent crime and 35.4 for property crime. Seniors and family members may wish to ask about security measures in place at each facility they visit.
- Pennsylvania seniors live in a moderately tax-friendly state. Seniors are exempt from taxes on retirement income, such as IRAs, Social Security or 401(k)s, which may help save a little more money for assisted living expenses.
- Johnstown is home to world-class medical facilities, including Conemaugh Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Johnstown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Johnstown start around $3,685 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Johnstown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Johnstown
In Pennsylvania, including Johnstown, seniors who qualify for SSI might be eligible for financial assistance in paying for assisted living costs. According to PA Code 2800.27, seniors can't be charged more than their monthly income for assisted living services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Johnstown
Johnstown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Johnstown, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Johnstown
Johnstown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Johnstown, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Johnstown
Review of Richland Woods Assisted Living
I moved my dad into Richland Woods Assisted Living. They were very thorough, and they have medical staff on hand. They were an absolute godsend, and they were a pleasure to deal with. They call us ... Read more
Review of St Jude's Haven
St Jude's Haven was good. They showed us the room, the beauty shop, where they do the laundry, and where they do the cooking, and it was all very nice. Kate was pretty good. She was very nice and e... Read more
Review of McCullough Place
I found a place for my mother, but I have not yet moved her in, and we chose McCullough Place. It seemed clean, safe, and homey. The place was very clean. The staff was very courteous and knowledge... Read more