35 Assisted Living Facilities near Akron, OH
There are 35 Assisted Living Facilities in the Akron area, with 9 in Akron and 26 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Akron is $3,328 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 179 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Akron. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Akron 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cuyahoga Falls with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Akron, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Akron, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Akron
Akron, nestled in northeastern Ohio, has been the home of the Soap Box Derby since 1934. Some of the 25,166 Akron seniors may enjoy watching this event and reminiscing about their own racing days. For area seniors in need of some help with daily tasks like housekeeping, bathing and dressing, there are nine assisted living facilities located in Akron, with another 25 in neighboring areas.
In Akron, and throughout Ohio, assisted living facilities are known as Residential Care Facilities (RCFs) and are regulated by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Akron
- The Akron METRO Regional Transit Authority operates the city's public bus system. Seniors age 62 and older qualify for discounted ride fares, making it easier for low-income seniors to traverse the city. To take advantage of the discounted fare, seniors only need to present the driver with their ID or Medicare card to prove their age.
- On average, the cost of living in Akron is 73.4, considerably lower than the national average of 100. Seniors in Akron may be able to find goods and services, healthcare, and utilities at affordable prices.
- Ohio does not tax social security benefits. This may leave more money available for Akron seniors' facility budgets.
- Akron's air quality is poor, ranking 53 on a scale where 100 represents the areas with the best air quality, slightly lower than the national average of 58. This may be a concern for seniors with respiratory illness.
- Akron has warm summers with temperatures reaching 83 degrees and cooler winters with temperatures dropping down to 22. Annual rainfalls total 39 inches, on par with the national average, and yearly snowfalls total 47 inches, 31 inches more than the national average of 26. With all of the precipitation, the area only sees 164 sunny days each year, almost a full third less than the national average of 205, which could make it difficult for seniors who enjoy spending a lot of time outdoors.
- The Akron area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Summa Health System - Akron Campus and Select Specialty Hospital - Akron, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Akron
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Akron start around $3,328 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Akron and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Akron
Akron seniors who need help paying the monthly costs of assisted living can apply for one or both of Ohio's financial assistance programs: a Medicaid waiver program and the supplemental SSI payment program.
The Assisted Living Waiver, which is part of the state's Medicaid program, helps seniors residing in assisted living facilities pay for personal care services. Supplemental SSI payments are also available to seniors who qualify for regular SSI payments. Both programs can be applied for through the Summit County Department of Job and Family Services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Akron
Akron and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Akron, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Akron
Akron-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Akron, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Akron
Review of Brookdale Montrose
My brother is at Brookdale Montrose. They were very helpful in getting us moved in, and they gave us a break on some of the rates (at least for a while). They also helped get us hooked up with an o... Read more
Review of Ohio Living Rockynol
This is a beautiful and newish facility. The assisted living staff has been great with my mom even during this horrible pandemic. They are thoughtful and trying to make the best of a very tough s... Read more
Review of Ohio Living Rockynol
Rooms lovely but cleaning very superficial. Very understaffed. Long waits 30-45 min for bathroom assistance . Pt. left alone in bathroom for same long waits before return to bed. Supervisor promise... Read more