The scenic city of Stow is located just 36 miles from Cleveland and the shores of Lake Erie. This small city is home to an estimated 34,785 residents, and about 17.8% of the population is aged 65 and over. Ohio has a low cost of living in comparison to the rest of the nation making this a popular option for cost-conscious retirees. In Stow, seniors enjoy the best of all four seasons with warm summers and chilly winters.

Assisted living is aimed at seniors who are no longer able to live independently but don’t yet require the high level of care offered by nursing homes. Teams of caregivers are always on hand to assist with the tasks of daily living and to provide help in case of an emergency. Seniors living in Stow pay around $4,875 per month for assisted living, which is higher than the Ohio state average of $4,350.

This guide provides a basic overview of assisted living in Stow. It discusses the costs of assisted living and other care options in Stow and surrounding areas. Additionally, it provides a list of free resources for seniors in the city.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Stow, OH

Vitalia Senior Residences at Stow

4291 Allen Road, Stow, OH, 44224

Vitalia Senior Residences at Stow was gorgeous, it was beautiful, the people were very friendly, and it’s very, very nice. I saw a studio or 1-room with a kitchen and bathroom. They had a great movie … (read more)

Regent of Stow

3855 Fishcreek Road, Stow, OH, 44224

2014

The Landing of Stow

5511 Fishcreek Road, Stow, OH, 44224

<p>Welcome to The Landing of Stow, a Bridge Senior Living community offering assisted living and memory care senior living in Stow, Ohio located just outside of Akron, Ohio. The Landing of Stow offers … (read more)

Stow Glen Assisted Living – CLOSED

4285 kent road, Stow, OH, 44224

My wife was admitted on a ventilator with an irreversible coma. It was a difficult case, requiring constant care. Mary Sue rallied briefly and opened her eyes several times for visitors and nurses, b … (read more)

2023

Maplewood at Cuyahoga Falls

190 West Bath Road, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, 44223

Both my parents, in their 90’s, were at Maplewood during covid, a very challenging time. We felt that the facility and staff were the best in the region, and they proved it every day. Because of ma … (read more)

2016

Cardinal Retirement Village

171 Graham Rd., Cuyahoga Falls, OH, 44223

Terribly upset at recent activities here at Cardinal. Typically as humans, we like to give others the benefit of the doubt, but when it comes to carrying for others, it can be hard to do. My biggest i … (read more)

Sunrise of Cuyahoga Falls

1500 State Road, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, 44223

I’ve visited Sunrise of Cuyahoga Falls. It’s pretty, Victorian-like, and clean. The room that I saw was very nicely-redecorated and remodeled, it was a studio apartment. It also has its own bathroom t … (read more)

Kentridge Senior Living

5241 Sunnybrook Road, Kent, OH, 44240

Kentridge Senior Living was beautiful. It felt more like home. The rooms were spacious. The lady that gave the tour was friendly and answered all of our questions. She also gave additional information … (read more)

Hudson Grande Senior Living

5400 Darrow Road, Hudson, OH, 44236

We looked at Hudson Grande Senior Living. They have little pods where people can gather and a dining room. The overall feel is clean and modern, and people seem happy. They go on trips, they do bingo, … (read more)

Mulberry Gardens Senior Living

395 South Main Street, Munroe Falls, OH, 44262

Mom is at Mulberry Gardens Senior Living. The people seem very friendly, but the most important thing why we chose it was it’s very close to where I live and to where everybody lives around. It’s a ve … (read more)

The Gardens at Liberty Park

9975 green tree parkway, Streetsboro, OH, 44241

We will be moving my mom to The Gardens because they have planned activities every day. I liked the rooms, they are very nice, and they varied a lot. The cost was something that we feel we could deal … (read more)

Danbury in Tallmadge

73 East Avenue, Tallmadge, OH, 44278

Danbury was pretty and new, but there wasn’t a lot of diversity, which is important. The location is in a populated area. That community is perfect for elderly couples who don’t want to live in their … (read more)

Danbury in Hudson

150 Omni Lake Parkway, Hudson, OH, 44236

I chose to be here. I picked the room I’m moving into. They explained the activities, and it sounded like they can keep me active. There were people talking to each other when I was there. I was very … (read more)

Danbury Woods

1691 Queens Gate Circle, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, 44221

My dad moved into Danbury Woods in Cuyahoga Falls. He is doing well there, and he seems to like it there. They do bingo, trivia, they do exercise classes, and they take them out for walks.

Ohio Living Rockynol

1150 W Market St, Akron, OH, 44313

Ohio Living Rockynol is located by the trendy Highland Square district of Akron, and offers residents a beautiful campus complete with large ponds, memory gardens, trees and geese. Visitors note the l … (read more)

The Merriman

209 Merriman Road Akron OH, 44303, Akron, OH, 44303

I’ve been at the Merriman almost a year now in assisted living. The staff treat me really well here and are on time with everything. The facility offers many activities to choose from. Dr kerek has … (read more)

Greenwood

200 Laurel Lake Drive, Hudson, OH, 44236

The Gardens at Cuyahoga

45 chart road, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, 44223

I’m not happy with our experience with The Gardens at Cuyahoga. Three times I tried to get the lady to call me back in regards to getting a walkthrough, but I could never get through, nobody there wou … (read more)

Continuing Healthcare of Cuyahoga Falls

300 East bath road, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, 44223

The one that I visited was The Traditions at Bath Road. The room was so small. It was a studio apartment. There was no division between the bedroom and the living area. I can’t live in an area like … (read more)

Northampton Meadows

4572 State Road, Peninsula, OH, 44264

Resident rooms are VERY small. The main living areas need updated the furniture looks like its from 1970. There’s pretty much NOTHING for the residents to do since they dont even have cable TV. They d … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Stow

Assisted living facilities in Stow and across the state of Ohio are regulated by the Ohio Department of Health. The office is responsible for registering new assisted living facilities and ensuring that rules and regulations are followed by carrying out regular inspections of all facilities in the state.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Stow

• Stow has a high level of property crime and is safer than just 38% of U.S. cities. However, it has a fairly low level of violent crimes in comparison to similarly sized cities. Seniors who are concerned about the crime rate can rest assured that most assisted living communities in Stow have 24/7 security and access control systems for residents’ safety.
  • Ohio is home to some of the best medical facilities in the United States, including the renowned Cleveland Clinic. The OhioHealth network has a variety of systems in place to provide excellent health care to seniors in the state.
  • Active seniors may enjoy having easy access to all of the outdoor activities near Lake Erie as well as hiking trails that are close to town.
  • Stow experiences all four seasons each year, which is ideal for seniors who enjoy the beauty that a varied climate provides. Winters can get very cold with an average of 52 inches of snow per year, which is above the national median of 28 inches. This can raise the cost of heating, so seniors looking to retire in Stow should factor in these expenses.
  • The state of Ohio has a cost of living that’s about 11.6% below the national average. These savings will give seniors in Stow more funds to enjoy a comfortable retirement.
  • Ohio is moderately tax-friendly for retirees. Seniors who rely on Social Security will do well in Stow as these benefits are exempt from state income taxes. On the other hand, retirees who get their income from a 401(k) or other sources may face a large tax bill.

Paying for Assisted Living in Stow

The average monthly cost of assisted living in Stow, according to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, is $4,875 per month. This is higher than the national average of $4,300 and the Ohio state average of $4,350.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

At $4,875 per month, Stow is one of the more expensive cities for assisted living in Ohio. Only Dayton is more expensive with a monthly average of $5,245. The cheapest cities in the state are Mansfield and Cleveland at $3,570 and $3,950 per month respectively.

$4875

Mansfield

$3950

Cleveland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors living in Stow have a choice of senior care options depending on their requirements. Adult day care is the most affordable option at $1,387 per month. Homemaker services and home health aides work best for seniors wanting to remain in their own homes with both services having a monthly average cost of $4,195. Nursing homes are best for frail seniors requiring a high level of care. They have a monthly average cost of $8,121 for a semiprivate room and $8,851 for a private room.

$4875

Adult Day Health Care

$4195

Assisted Living Facility

$8121

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$8851

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Stow was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Akron, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Stow

Medicaid eligible seniors in Stow may be able to get financial assistance with their assisted living expenses through one of Ohio’s two programs. These are known as MyCare Ohio and the Assisted Living Waiver Program.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ohio

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Stow

In the city of Stow and surrounding areas, a number of nonprofit organizations and government agencies offer free resources for seniors. Many of these resources may be useful to seniors residing in assisted living communities and those who are considering making the move to assisted living in the near future.

Resource

Contact

Services

The City of Stow provides a number of free programs and activities that benefit seniors in the community. All of the activities and events are held at city hall. Some of the activities include fitness classes, brain games, bowling and card games. A social Breakfast Buddies club is held on a regular basis to provide meals and socialization opportunities. Special events and bus trips to local attractions are planned each month.

The Ohio Area Agency on Aging provides a range of free services that benefit seniors in north-central Ohio. In addition to running the Home Energy Assistance Program and Meals on Wheels, the organization provides supportive services, including minor home repairs, long-term care ombudsman services, housing options and emergency response systems. It runs a weekly farmers market that benefits seniors in the community.

The Summit County Veterans Office helps seniors and other veterans to navigate the complex VA benefits system. Resources available to veterans and their spouses may include VA medical care, pensions, supplements and disability compensation. The office is here to explain these benefits and help seniors to apply for any programs they may be eligible for.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Stow

Stow-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ohio