18 Assisted Living Facilities near South Lyon, MI
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the South Lyon area, with 2 in South Lyon and 16 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in South Lyon is $4,000 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Milford with an average starting cost of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 115 reviews below for assisted living facilities in South Lyon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in South Lyon 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Northville with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in South Lyon, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in South Lyon, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in South Lyon
South Lyon is located in Oakland County, Michigan. It's part of the Metro Detroit area and is home to a nearly 12,000 residents, 16.1% of whom are senior citizens aged 65 or older. There are two facilities in South Lyon that provide assisted living care to seniors, as well as an additional 13 in surrounding areas.
In South Lyon and throughout Michigan, assisted living facilities are officially known as homes for the aged. All homes for the aged are monitored by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and must operate within the parameters set forth by the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in South Lyon
- The South Lyon area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ascension Providence Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The average annual snowfall is 42 inches, which is 14 more than the average U.S. city. Seniors living in South Lyon may be unable to participate in outdoor activities during the winter months as a result.
- While the overall cost of living in South Lyon is 30% above the national average, it's mostly due to the high cost of housing in the city. Seniors in South Lyon may actually find the city less expensive thanks to health care costs that are nearly 20% below the U.S. average.
- South Lyon seniors can feel relatively safe knowing that the crime rates in the city are well below the state average. While 18 property crimes per 1,000 residents occur each year in an average Michigan city, South Lyon has only 4.77 property crimes per 1,000 residents annually.
- Seniors can travel safely throughout South Lyon and Lyon Township using MyRide 2, which provides low-cost transit to seniors and disabled individuals during the week.
- Seniors who are living with respiratory or cardiovascular illness may find their health is affected negatively due to the poor air quality in South Lyon and throughout Oakland County.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in South Lyon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in South Lyon start around $4,000 per month on average, which is on par with the average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in South Lyon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in South Lyon
Michigan's Medicaid State Plan helps eligible seniors to pay for the cost of care provided in homes for the aged in South Lyon and throughout the state. The plan does not pay for the cost of room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in South Lyon
South Lyon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in South Lyon, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in South Lyon
South Lyon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in South Lyon
Review of Cambrian Senior Living South Lyon
My mother moved into Cambrian Senior Living. I just looked it up online, and I liked it. It seems like it's got great staff. They're very caring, and I like the location. I can't get in there, but ... Read more
Review of Cambrian Senior Living South Lyon
Do not out your loved ones lives in,their hands. Owners do not care. My mom was found without oxygen 5 times before she died of a bedside that went unnoticed by staff. A lot of bells and whis... Read more
Review of Blossom Hill
My mother lived here from April 2018 - May 2019. I had hoped she would spend the rest of her days here. The home is beautiful and we enjoyed it with confidence for a year. The bedrooms are nice, th... Read more