17 Assisted Living Facilities near Ann Arbor, MI
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Ann Arbor area, with 7 in Ann Arbor and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Ann Arbor is $4,523 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Ypsilanti with an average starting cost of $3,112.
To help you with your search, browse the 121 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Ann Arbor. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Ann Arbor 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Ypsilanti with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Ann Arbor find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Ann Arbor, call (855) 863-8283.
7 Assisted Living Facilities in Ann Arbor, MI
10 Assisted Living Facilities near Ann Arbor, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor is the home of the University of Michigan, which has a significant impact on the city's economy and culture. Seniors will have plenty to keep them busy in this vibrant city — art, music, festivals, football games.
The Michigan Bureau of Child and Adult Licensing, a part of the Department of Human Services, regulates the 26 assisted living facilities located in and around Ann Arbor. This type of facility in Michigan is often referred to as a home for the aged, and it typically serves 21 or more residents who are 60 or older. Any facility in Michigan that provides both housing and some level of care requires a license and is subject to regular inspections by state administrators.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ann Arbor
- Located in southeast Michigan along the Huron River, Ann Arbor is known for its warm summers and cold, snowy winters. The average high temperature is 31 degrees Fahrenheit in January and 83 degrees in July.
- Ann Arbor is best known as the home of the University of Michigan. In addition, the city offers a number of cultural sites and events, such as the annual Ann Arbor Art Fair, the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra and the Ann Arbor Film Festival.
- Ann Arbor has an array of community resources for seniors, including Catholic Social Services, an organization that provides residents 60 and older with a number of services, such as adult day care and assistance with home improvements, maintenance and taxes. The city also features four senior centers.
- The crime rate in Ann Arbor is relatively low, especially when compared with other cities in southeast Michigan. Ann Arbor is safer than 57 percent of other U.S. cities.
- The Ann Arbor area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the University of Michigan Medical Center and the VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority provides regular, scheduled public bus service throughout the city and between Ann Arbor and other points in southeast Michigan. Seniors with ID pay reduced fare. The Michigan SMART bus system offers curb-to-curb service with advanced reservations, which helps seniors with limited mobility.
Paying for Assisted Living in Ann Arbor
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Ann Arbor start around $4,523 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ann Arbor
A number of federal and state assistance programs help eligible Ann Arbor residents afford an assisted living facility. These include the Healthy Michigan Plan, MI Choice Waiver Program and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Ann Arbor, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Ann Arbor, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Ann Arbor
Review of University Living
University Living was very nice, they were very accommodating, very helpful. The sample unit was nice, and there were a few residents who had their doors open. The eating room was very nice and hig... Read more
Review of Glacier Hills _ Michigan
This place is a joke. You get charged for everything and it is nasty. The aides care more about sneaking out to smoke than caring for the residence. If your loved one is not independent they will n... Read more
Review of Atria Park of Ann Arbor
Atria Park of Ann Arbor was very impressive. I was there in December, it was Christmas so it was well-decorated and a welcoming place. It's a beautiful new place, a very wow factor. I'd say I want ... Read more