American House Carpenter

Reviews of American House Carpenter

Assisted Living Reviews for American House Carpenter

September 30, 2017

By Ruth

My sister is in American House. We chose it because my mother lived there for 10 years, and my brother's father-in-law lived there for 12 years. It's not a new place, but it's clean, and they redo the carpet and paint every time somebody moves. It smells fine, not like old people. They serve three meals a day, make the bed, pick up the trash every day, and strip the bed and change the towels once a week. You can have your laundry done at an extra charge. They have all kinds of activities. The food looks pretty good, and when she remembers to go down for a meal, she eats a lot better than when she was alone. The staff is very nice, very friendly, and very helpful. It's not the most expensive place, but for the money, the care is very good.

November 22, 2016

By Linda415153

I visited American House. The people were wonderful. The dining room was set-up for 3 meals. It was less expensive -- which was great -- but the part that I didn’t like was where it was located. Even though it was very close to my home, it was across the street from a trailer park. My mother would not want to live in place across a trailer park, even though it was a very nice trailer park. It had nothing to do with the living place; I just knew my mother. The rooms were very nice. They had one bedrooms, and she would have loved the one bedroom. We sat down and had a chat with the woman. She showed us the facility and offered if we wanted to eat anything. She took us around the rooms that were available. It also seemed like it was more for couples. They served 3 meals a day. They had activities that were really cool. They had activities. They had places to get your hair and nails done. They did exercises.

May 10, 2016

By Mark103227350

American House Carpenter was good but a little bit older. The facility itself wasn't new and crisp looking. We only interfaced with some of the staff there, and they were fine. We didn't talk directly with any of the residents.As we were walking around, things didn't impress me. I saw residents going up and asking for things, and it looked like the staff was a little bit exasperated. They had to ask for things many times and still not get taken care of. The dining room seemed fine. It was just a quick walk-through there, but nothing I saw was good or bad.

February 15, 2016

By Dennis37

American House Carpenter was very nice. It was good on all points. They showed me a couple of rooms, and there were different kinds. This facility was very good. It was very nice, and I did consider choosing it.

January 19, 2016

By Loving Daughter25

The reason I looked at the American House is because it’s around the corner from where I live and I thought it would be great because I could see my parents as often as I wanted. However, it was not the caliber that the others I saw were, but what I did like about it was that the residents were happy people. There were a lot of residents that were active and doing things and were excited to be going out. They were going on a little trip, and they all seemed to know each other. There were all sorts of activities going on. I did think that it was not as clean as the other places, but it was OK. And again, the only reason I was looking at American House was for convenience, and it was the first place I looked at.

November 30, 2015

By Shafox

I think American House Carpenter would be very nice for a senior-living situation. They can provide some assisted living services, and it seemed like a nice setting. The staff were able to address all of my concerns during my visit. They have activities going on. In fact while we were there, they just finished their activity for the Patriot Day. They had entertainment; somebody was singing and playing the guitar.

November 15, 2015

By Darlene R.

I liked American House Carpenter a lot. I liked the food and the staff was friendly. I saw their rooms, and they were good, but I could not afford it, which is the only reason I didn’t move in.

December 13, 2014

By Paula38

My parents will be moving into American House. My visit there was fine. It was pleasant. They took us through, and they answered our questions. They have an apartment that works for my parents because of their dogs. Their apartments were of good size. We had a meal there, and it was fine. They had bingo, a pool table, and a community area. We visited other places before, but we just liked this one the best.

I’m so happy your parents will be joining our community, and that they’ll be bringing their dogs with them! We are very much all about family here — and that includes our four-legged family members! If your parents or you ever have any questions, please stop by anytime.

Sincerely, Debbie Adams, Executive Director

October 18, 2014

By Denise28

I also liked American House. They were renovating, but I liked their set up there. They had month-to-month rent. The deposit that I would have to put down was refundable if dad ended up not being able to stay there. They were easier to work with. They were very flexible. They were renovating, so I couldn't comment on their dining room and rooms.

Thank you for leaving your feedback. Hopefully you’ll be able to stop back by to see our completed dining room, and let us know what you think of it! And if you have any questions or would like to get your dad set up here, please contact me directly and I’ll be glad to help you out.

May 12, 2014

I was very impressed with American House Carpenter Senior Living. It was homey, and the lady was very welcoming. We enjoyed our conversation with her. Everybody we met was personable and friendly. I can't say enough good things about it. It was my preference of the two places we have visited. Their dining room looked a lot like my dining room. I mean, they are very traditional, very attractive. The room that they showed us was done beautifully. I'd assume any place would do that. They got to decorate it rather than the individuals who are living there, and then, because my mother wanted to know what the other options were besides one- and two-bedrooms, they knocked on a door and asked one woman if she would show us her place, and she was very willing to do that. Very pleasant. I was altogether very impressed with them.

I love hearing when our visitors are impressed with our community! We like to have plenty of options for our residents. Don't forget to let your mother know about all the activities and events we offer here -- in-house, and away from the community, too. Should you or your mother ever have any questions, please call me personally and I'd be happy to discuss them with you.

February 27, 2014

By Tammy9

Overall, American House Carpenter is just a really nice place. It would be good for a senior citizen. The rooms were very nice and the staff has good attitude.

I appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback - thank you for your recommendation. If I can ever answer any questions for you, please feel free to call me personally.

January 31, 2014

We chose American House Carpenter basically for its compatibility of the rest of the residents, the activity schedule, proximity to my house, and the warm and caring sense that I got from the management. Their dining room is very nice. They have different activities like bridge club, cribbage club, and bingo. They take people out to the plays. They also take them shopping for groceries and/or incidentals.

Those are terrific reasons, and I'm happy that you chose us! We work hard to provide plenty of activities and events so our residents enjoy living here. If you ever need anything, just stop by my office and let me know. Thanks!

Sincerely, Debbie Adams Executive Director 734-677-0071

August 13, 2013

By Sissy2

American House was recommended by the VA Hospital for my brother and his wife who are disabled vets. Although younger than most residents, they have been treated with utmost respect and compassion. From the managers to the cleaning staff, I believe they have gone out of their way to make them feel welcome, always available for questions even if they had already been asked. They have been particularly considerate and patient when dealing with the extended family who must work with the staff at American House in coordinating care for my brother. They are very pleasant, patient, and understanding of our situation and needs. The apartment was beautiful when my brother moved in, freshly painted, clean, new carpeting...looked brand new! When I recently called to ask if dinner could be taken to their apartment, my brother told me the office person had already come to them within minutes of my call to get their menu choices. You can't get better service! The only recommendation I would offer is that the library be equipped with a computer for the savvy residents who do not own their own computer. Maybe this is available and I am not aware, but I will say that this has been a trouble free, seamless transition and I would highly recommend this facility for our loved ones.

Thank you, Sissy2, for leaving such wonderful feedback! I'm very happy to hear that your brother and his wife are very pleased living in our community here. We're constantly looking for ways to integrate technology to better serve our community, so I appreciate the suggestion! If you have any other ideas, feel free to call me direct or stop in - or if your brother and his wife ever need anything, please remind them that my door is always open!

Thank you, Debbie Adams, Executive Director 734-677-0071

May 17, 2012

By junjun

They were all nice, My grandfather did not do to much so he was not much of an effort for them either. When entering the property it was quiet and kind of hospital like (more so then expected) which surprised me. I did not get to see the activity rooms The property was nice as we took my grandfather on a few walks as well. The rooms were decent but it is very expensive compared to the room. I did not see any staff when I was there besides what seemed to be an office with people looking at me like I was lost, but no one tried to help me either way. From what I hear my grandfather was taken care of there and was happy there. I would have likes it to be a bit more personal there tho, as in no one seemed to want to meet his family or seemed to care about him and his life before that place.

Dear junjun,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your experience with your grandfather. We are pleased you heard he was taken care of and was happy. We strive for balance at American House Carpenter - with a relaxed atmosphere and a variety of activities going on in different areas to keep our residents engaged. We believe in providing options to help empower our residents. While we try not to intrude on private family time, we truly care about all of our residents and their families and appreciate you reaching out to share your impressions. Your grandfather is our first priority and we want to ensure our relationship with him and his family is all it can be. If you're willing, I would appreciate more information to better understand how we can improve. Please feel free to call me directly at your convenience.

Sincerely, Debbie Adams 734-677-0071

Independent Living Reviews for American House Carpenter

August 23, 2021

By Katherine

American House Carpenter was very friendly and very thorough with answering questions. It's older, but it's very clean. There's no clutter, smell or anything like that. The administrator was very very pleasant and answered all of our questions. I saw a one-bedroom, and it was a very good size. They didn't have any studios available, and that was another option that I was thinking of. The one-bedroom was very nice and very well-kept. They have dining experiences with three meals per day. Each resident had their own key to access their room and the outer doors. They had complete freedom to come and go as they pleased. There were recreational activities, and they had a schedule up for that. They had menus that were easy to read. You would know what to expect in terms of meals. Right now, they keep track of those who have been vaccinated and those who have not been vaccinated. Those who have not been vaccinated must wear a mask. They have a pretty general breakfast menu, but they may have a special breakfast every week. The room was equipped with a small stove and an oven, so that was nice just in case somebody didn't want to go downstairs and wanted to prepare their own. The good thing about it was that there is a bus stop very close, where they can take a bus if they know the route. For those who didn't want to take the bus, it was walkable to major stores and supermarkets. It was good to me. They slowed down their recreational outdoor excursions because of COVID, but they said that they're hoping to start that again and be able to plan a trip. They do have an activity director and nursing staff in the building 24/ for emergencies. One thing was that they definitely needed to change the carpeting. The carpeting was very old and worn through the hallways. The carpeting in the rooms wasn't bad, but you could tell that they were old.

March 04, 2021

By Jill

I completed the tour at American House Carpenter for my mother. I was very impressed. It was really a good choice. What I like was the cleanliness, the staff, and the three meals a day offered. The staff was excellent. They had a library, activities room, and a living room for residents that wanna socialize.

Jill, thank you for the 5-star review of our community! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and being so open with us.

February 27, 2018

By LH

American House Carpenter is an older building, and not as modern as some of the other facilities I've seen. They serve three meals a day, and take care of laundry and housekeeping as much as you want them to. Actually, they take care of everything except for the TV, telephone, and things like that. They also have a nice walking area on the grounds, they allow small dogs, and the food was institutional but still adequate. They do have an activities director, they have a dial-a-ride for Ann Arbor so you can go anywhere in Washtenaw County for a very minimal amount of money. They also have buses to take you to different places. I didn't see any activities going on when I was there, but the residents seem to know what and where they were. There's no exercise room, but they have an old movie room. The dining room is different because it seems to be a part of the pathway from the front of the building to the back, so the whole time we were eating there were people coming through on a steady basis. That didn't excite me terribly. However, they do make an attempt to put you with people who you will have something in common with when you go into the dining room. It's not a sit-where-you-will place. I'm interested in this place. The individual rooms were lovely.

May 22, 2017

By sally722557

American House was very friendly, nice and accommodating. The people there looked very old. It was in an area you can't walk to, but I was told that if you walk, you can go to a grocery store. They had a lot of activities, like cards and bingo.

September 30, 2015

American House was nice. The apartments were fairly small; the library was tiny. We didn’t like the location; it was on a busy street with no walking paths around it. It was right next to a high rise and across the street from a motel. The price was OK; the hostess was nice. They seemed to have a lot of activities. They had entertainment; somebody was playing in the lobby.

September 19, 2013

By Dorothy26

The apartments are very nice at American House Carpenter Senior living. They have plenty of room and everything in the room was brand new. They have a lot of activities like ceramics, card playing, theater and other things. The people working there were very nice and helpful. The food is excellent; they gave us two choices and a full course dinner. It's a place I'd like to live in.

I'm thrilled that you would like to make your home here with us! We do have a wonderful community that I'm sure you would thoroughly enjoy - if I can answer any questions for you, please let me know.

Sincerely, Debbie Adams, Executive Director (734) 677-0071

Photos of American House Carpenter

Services and Amenities of American House Carpenter

About American House Carpenter

Located in Ypsilanti, Michigan, we are close to family, friends, shopping, dining and entertainment, as well as a variety of medical professionals. You can enjoy the privacy and serenity of your own apartment, or socialize and engage with your neighbors in one of our many community spaces

Map of American House Carpenter