32 Assisted Living Facilities near Munster, IN
There are 32 Assisted Living Facilities in the Munster area, with 1 in Munster and 31 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 281 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Munster. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Munster 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Calumet City with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Munster, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Munster, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Munster
Munster, which is located in Lake County, Indiana, is a peaceful town on the south shore of Lake Michigan. It is situated just 26 miles outside Chicago, providing seniors easy access to big-city amenities, including state-of-the-art medical facilities, entertainment venues and museums.
To support the senior community, which accounts for 19 percent of the population, the town offers one assisted living facility. Seniors who are willing to venture out from the city proper will find an additional 36 facilities nearby. These facilities, which provide at least one health-related service and two or more scheduled supportive services to five or more individuals, are licensed and monitored by the state's Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Munster
- While the cost of living in Munster is higher than the national average, this is mainly due to the high cost of housing. This city is an affordable place for seniors, with its grocery costs coming in about 6 percent below the national average and health care costs coming in 14 percent below the national average.
- Munster seniors pay income tax on income they draw from retirement accounts and pensions, but their Social Security benefits are not taxed.
- Munster is a relatively safe city, which may provide peace of mind for seniors. Its overall crime rate comes in 30 percent below the state average and 26 percent below the national average. The rate of violent offenses is nearly 90 percent below both the state and U.S. average, and the property crime rate is 20 percent below the state average and 16 percent below the national average.
- Munster is home to numerous arts and culture options for seniors to enjoy. The local senior center may provide supervised trips to the Northwest Indiana Symphony Orchestra or South Shore Arts.
- The Munster area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Franciscan Health Munster and Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Munster has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Keen Ager Program, an organization that offers discounts for trips, activities, parties and programs, and access to daily social events for older adults, and at least one senior center is located in the area.
Paying for Assisted Living in Munster
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Munster start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Munster and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Munster
Seniors in Munster who meet eligibility guidelines may apply to receive financial aid for assisted living through three state programs: Indiana Medicaid, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915 (c) Waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Munster
Munster and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Munster, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Munster
Munster-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Munster
Review of Hartsfield Village
Assisted Living at Hartsfield Village is a nice place. It's beautiful and had a lot of nice people and a lot of things going on, but yet, when I went in the door, it wasn't as warm and caring. They... Read more
Review of Hartsfield Village
I'm already signed up to go to a place called Hartsfield Village. I am very satisfied. The staff was very courteous, and I enjoyed the visit. Their dining room is immaculate and the living quarters... Read more
Review of Hartsfield Village
The staff is very responsive. My room has a bedroom, a living room, a kitchenette, and a bathroom. The food is very good almost all the time. They have a number of different kinds of activities, an... Read more