Brookdale West Ashley

Reviews of Brookdale West Ashley

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale West Ashley

January 23, 2016

By Carol118914750

Brookdale was very nice and the person who gave us the tour was very helpful. I was impressed with the rooms; they are not very big but they’re of good size. Everything was clean. They were doing some kind of arts and crafts when I visited the place. It was comfortable and kind of made me feel at home.

September 30, 2015

Brookdale was very nice, everybody was very friendly, and it looked like they had a lot of activities. They have an activity board to tell you what?s going on, they had a little crafts, painting, and chair exercises. It was a good experience.

April 24, 2015

By Susan105295750

Everything was great when we visited Brookdale Charleston. Their rooms are of good size and clean, but they didn’t have a kitchen in there. I have eaten there, and the food is very good. Their dining area is beautiful. The managers were excellent. They have all kinds of things like movies, games, and bingo -- tons of things to do.

December 30, 2014

Horizon Bay Charleston was a nice place. They have a dining facility. It is a big place. The rooms were OK, but a bit small. I am looking for five years down the road. I wasn't looking to move in immediately. They have a lot of game rooms, television, and sing-a-longs. I recommend they go around and look at them.

October 18, 2014

By Jeannie5

We actually have my mother's name on the waiting list at Horizon Bay. I thought it was nice enough. I liked the arrangement of the Alzheimer's unit where everything was kind of centrally located. The rooms were kind of in a circle and they all opened up into a central common area and I thought that was very good. I liked the fact that the rates were consistent; they didn't have different levels of costs depending on the amount of care. They offered one rate and it included all levels of care. It did not go up if they had to do a little something extra for the patient. I thought the rates were reasonable and it was more centrally located to my home than some of the other ones. I thought that they had a nice little garden area that was left open on nice days. My mom's a really outdoorsy person and I thought that she would like the fact that on a nice day, she could just walk out and be outside. I thought that was really nice and you can do gardening if you like. She is not a gardener, but she does like flowers and plants and things like that.

June 23, 2014

By Pamela18

Horizon Bay was very nice, but they did not have a room available. The staff was very nice, helpful, and informative. The rooms were a bit smaller, though. They have a memory care facility, which was what I wanted.

November 20, 2013

I visited Horizon Bay. We didn't choose this one because it was farther away from us to visit for one thing and then we have to cross some major bridge, so if there was a storm or something, that might be a problem. The place and their rooms were fine. Overall, the facility was probably recommendable. Regarding the staff, I didn't really get to know them that well.

June 25, 2013

By Kathy D.

Horizon Bay is a very nice facility. My mom has been there since end of April. They have different levels of care and she's in the memory care area. She loves the staff and they all love her. Her room is a bit bigger, but it is still nice. The facility doesn't smell bad and that was the first thing that attracted us.

March 29, 2013

By Susan31

My mother stayed at Horizon Bay in Charleston. She was in the Clare Bridge Wing which was the memory center of the facility. I liked the facility because the patient ratio was good, the residents were well monitored. The staff also kept the residents active. I observed though that the residents don't get enough fluid, so I would suggest they offer more. The food was very nutritious and well-balanced. There were semi-private and private rooms complete with bathroom. They had good recreational program, and a diocese also came to the facility.

July 25, 2012

By PrettyPink

Some of the patients seem to have to wait longer than usual in order to receive necessary help. Althought the facility was clean, the staff was not always as friendly as they should have been. I did like both facilities though because a beautician would come in to beautify the women residents.

May 15, 2012

By david spooner

I thought the facility was very clean and well structured, but some of the staff were a little slack. Sometimes they would "nudge" the older folks along to get them to go faster or get upset when the older folks got confused.

Nursing Home Reviews for Brookdale West Ashley

Questions about Brookdale West Ashley

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Brookdale’s Learning Management System has continuous training modules, which define the dementia process, identify means in which associates can communicate with residents and ways in which a supportive environment can be provided

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale West Ashley. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

1. Our average age is 70 and they have a variety of activities that they enjoy to include taking day trips to historical sites, art clubs and of course playing bingo, we have an exciting calendar each month where our activities are centered on our resident’s interest

What programs or activities does Brookdale West Ashley offer to enrich residents' well-being?

2. Brookdale offers a full day of activity for Clare Bridge residents beginning just after breakfast & going into the evening after dinner. We follow a Daily Path that guides the day in a familiar way, adding variety with each event. From outings to art, gardening to concerts with meal times & snacks in between, Brookdale residents have a full social schedule. Please refer to our website to view a current calendar of events! Our Optimum Life philosophy encompasses the 6 six dimensions of optimum life the following dimensions are balanced throughout the calendar. We offer physical, social, emotional, spiritual, purposeful and intellectual opportunities throughout the week

What places are near Brookdale West Ashley or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We have a local shopping center less than 2 blocks from the community and of many historical gardens within 5 miles

What transportation services does Brookdale West Ashley offer to assisted living residents?

We have a passenger bus and a van that we use for our doctors’ appointments and outside shopping and activities

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale West Ashley exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef personally interacts with all of the residents in order to take suggestions or concerns about the dining process. We also have a menu chat meeting. In that meeting, the residents can get more in depth with ideas. I also give the residents an option to be more personal with the meal by taking recipes from them and incorporating it into the meal

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale West Ashley offer to assisted living residents?

We have have 24 hours staff and several features for safety throughout the community and apartments.

How does Brookdale West Ashley keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

7. Families are kept informed through regular e-mail correspondence & a monthly call from a member of our management team. We are always delighted to host visitors at meals & activities, in addition to regularly scheduled family events. Our Executive Director sends out monthly emails in addition to what our Activity team does

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale West Ashley during daytime and nighttime hours?

In South Carolina, the state’s regulation mandates a minimum of one (1) associate per eight (8) residents between the hours of 7am and 7pm. Between 7pm and 7am, one (1) associate per thirty (30) residents is mandated. Our staffing schedule meets and exceeds these requirements.

If Brookdale West Ashley accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We welcome animals in our community and have ample outside space to walk them, if needed for a fee we can walk them for you

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Brookdale does an excellent job training all staff members, not only at the beginning of their employment but each month we have continue education we are required to complete

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale West Ashley provide to protect residents who wander?

We have special training for our staff we also have a Claire Bridge neighborhood.

What programs or activities does Brookdale West Ashley offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Programs include life-skill and person centered activities. Music, photos and movies act to engage long-term memories

Residents’ assessments are conducted prior to move-in, thirty (30) days after move-in and every six (6) months thereafter. Assessments are also conducted if there are changes in condition. The Health & Wellness Director, who is a licensed nurse, is responsible for conducting assessments

What techniques does Brookdale West Ashley use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Residents are continuously encouraged during meals. Additionally, associates assist with hand-over-hand support. Necessarily, food is chopped to meet individual needs

How does Brookdale West Ashley keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Families are informed through individual care meetings. Additionally, families are called whenever there are changes in their conditions

Is Brookdale West Ashley affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We have a doctor who visits our community.

Photos of Brookdale West Ashley

• Memory Care Training

• Licenses: Standard Assisted Living License
  • State Licenses: CRC-1291

About Brookdale West Ashley

Brookdale West Ashley provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each assisted living and Alzheimer's care resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

Horizon Bay offers assisted living and has a dedicated memory care neighborhood all under one roof We have 3 nurses on staff and RN and 2 LPN's that oversees our 24 hour care givers; with their schedules, there is a nurse in the community 7 days a week.

Map of Brookdale West Ashley