12 Assisted Living Facilities near Port Royal, SC
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the Port Royal area, with 4 in Port Royal and 8 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Port Royal is $2,970 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 50 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Port Royal. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Port Royal 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hilton Head with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Port Royal, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Port Royal, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Port Royal
Located in the heart of South Carolina’s Low Country, the town of Port Royal lies on Port Royal Island in Beaufort County. Seniors who enjoy beachcombing, boating and birdwatching may love this land tucked between the Beaufort River and Battery Creek. The conservation-minded town offers a network of walking trails and a lengthy boardwalk.
Approximately 7% of Port Royal’s residents are aged 65 and older, and those who require help with housekeeping, transportation and personal care can find three community residential care facilities (CRCFs) in Port Royal. Nearby Beaufort and Hilton Head provide eight more. CRCFs in Port Royal and throughout the state are regulated by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control’s Division of Health Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Port Royal
- The Port Royal area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Beaufort Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Port Royal is 10 minutes from Beaufort, where seniors can explore 20 independent art galleries in Beaufort’s cultural district. The USCB Centre For the Arts features a 460-person auditorium that hosts the USCB Chamber Music Concerts and the Beaufort Theatre Company.
- Seniors may be surprised to know the overall cost of living in Port Royal is about 10% lower than the U.S. average. Transportation costs are 35% lower, and seniors pay less than the national averages for groceries and healthcare.
- Older adults seeking a comfortable year-round climate find it in Port Royal, which scores an 86 out of 100 on Sperling’s Comfort Index. Average summer highs in July of 91 degrees and winter lows in January of 39 let most seniors enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle.
- Security-conscious seniors should verify that any assisted living facility in the Port Royal area under consideration is equipped with a state-of-the-art security system. While the town’s violent crime rate of 17 out of 100 is lower than the U.S. average of 22.7, the property crime rate of 36.3 is almost on par with the national average of 35.4.
- Port Royal seniors benefit from South Carolina’s tax-friendly treatment of retirees. The state does not tax Social Security benefits and provides a $15,000 deduction for other types of retirement income.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Port Royal
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Port Royal start around $2,970 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Port Royal and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Port Royal
South Carolina’s Optional State Supplementation Program (OSS) provides state-funded assistance to CRCFs to help cover assisted living costs. Port Royal seniors who meet all of the qualifications of the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program except for the maximum income limit may be eligible.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Port Royal
Port Royal and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Port Royal, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Port Royal
Port Royal-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Port Royal, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Port Royal
Review of Sprenger Health Care Port Royal
This facility is beautiful, the rooms are clean and bright, and the staff is very warm and friendly. My Dad is currently living here and enjoys it very much. It is a much more social atmosphere t... Read more
Review of River Oaks Assisted Living
River Oaks Assisted Living was clean and the atmosphere was good. The rapport among the clients, the family, and the workers was good. They have bingo, singing, church services, and fresh baked coo... Read more
Review of River Oaks Assisted Living
Our experience with River Oaks Assisted Living was very positive. The person that talked with me and showed me around was very thorough and very professional. The rooms were a little small. The din... Read more