11 Assisted Living Facilities near Hilton Head, SC
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hilton Head area, with 2 in Hilton Head and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Hilton Head is $3,900 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Hilton Head Island with an average starting cost of $3,838.
To help you with your search, browse the 62 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hilton Head. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hilton Head 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Port Royal with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hilton Head, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Hilton Head, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hilton Head
Hilton Head is a balmy resort island located a short distance off South Carolina's sandy coast, just a few miles over the border from Savannah, GA. Nearly 40,000 people live in the low-rise homes of Hilton Head Island, 34% of whom are seniors aged 65 and over. Hilton Head Island is the site of at least six assisted living facilities where seniors can live safe and independent surroundings within earshot of the crashing surf. These facilities, like other residential care communities in the rest of the state, are inspected, licensed and regulated by the South Carolina Board of Long Term Health Care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hilton Head
- The weather in Hilton Head is usually warm and humid in summer but mild and breezy in the winter. December lows in Hilton Head average around 40 degrees, while August highs reach 89. Offshore winds bring up to 54 inches of rain a year off the Atlantic Ocean. Airborne sand can be an issue for some seniors with asthma or COPD, especially when the breeze blows in from the beach.
- The cost of living in Hilton Head is 30% higher than the national average. Despite this, seniors in Hilton Head may pay up to 6% less than the average nationwide for healthcare.
- Crime rates in Hilton Head are low, relative to the rest of the country. Seniors on the island are especially safe from violent crime, several categories of which can go years between incidents. Property crime is more common, at around 40% of the national average rate.
- Locals, seniors and tourists can get around Hilton Head on Palmetto Breeze, the local historic bus and trolley service. Local employers can ask Palmetto Breeze for a 7-day pass for new employees to their companies, and seniors can request round-trip transportation with a 24-hour advance request. All Palmetto Breeze vehicles are ADA-compliant for mobility-impaired riders.
- The Hilton Head area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Hilton Head Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Hilton Head has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Hilton Head Island Recreation Association, an organization that promotes senior health through active lifestyles and no-cost access to gym facilities for seniors aged 55 and over, as well as three senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hilton Head
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Hilton Head start around $3,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hilton Head and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hilton Head
Seniors in Hilton Head who need help with the cost of assisted living may be eligible for a Medicaid waiver through the Community Choices Medicaid Waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hilton Head
Hilton Head and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hilton Head, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hilton Head
Hilton Head-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Hilton Head, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hilton Head
Review of Village Cove Assisted Living
My husband was released from the hospital but was not strong enough to be home. Under the respite rate plan he was able to stay five weeks to gain strength to come home. This worked well for us. ... Read more
Review of Life Care Center of Hilton Head
Words would never suffice to express my gratitude for the excellent care I received while recuperating from September through November for an infection in my bloodstream followed by back surgery. ... Read more
Review of Life Care Center of Hilton Head
I had heard mixed reviews on this facility. However when my 92 year old mother needed a place to get PT, speech therapy and OT, we chose Life Care Center because it was close to our home. We were s... Read more