6 Assisted Living Facilities near Okatie, SC
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Okatie area, with 3 in Okatie and 3 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 33 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Okatie. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Okatie 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bluffton with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Okatie, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Okatie, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Okatie
Okatie is a small community located to the west of Hilton Head along state road 278. The city gets its name from the nearby Okatee River, which provides kayaking, fishing and other water activities for seniors. Those looking to retire in the area and those who need help with daily living tasks will find nine assisted living facilities close by in Hilton Head, Bluffton and Port Royal. These facilities are regulated by the South Carolina Board of Health and Environmental Control, and they provide room and board and a degree of personal care to two or more adults.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Okatie
- The cost of living in Okatie is 112.6, which is higher than the national average of 100 and higher than the state average of 94. Seniors living in Okatie may find it difficult to cover necessities while living on a limited income.
- Crime is ranked on a scale from one (low) to 100 (high). Property crime in Okatie is ranked 18, which is significantly lower than the national average of 38.1. Violent crime is 10.5, which is also lower than the national average of 31.1. Seniors who live in Okatie can feel safe when exploring downtown or running errands on their own.
- Seniors who want to escape the northern snow may find Okatie the perfect place to live due to the lack of snow. Summers are hot and humid, with highs around 92, and winters are short and cold, with lows around 38.
- Okatie has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Hilton Head.
- The South Carolina Senior Express provides transportation to seniors in Okatie and the surrounding area at discount fares. This door-to-door service is available 24/7 for medical appointments, outings and errands.
- Okatie has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Beaufort County Council on Aging, an organization that provides services like exercise classes and art to adults in the area, as well as one senior center located close by in Bluffton.
Paying for Assisted Living in Okatie
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Okatie start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Okatie and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Okatie
Financial assistance is available for seniors in Okatie who need help paying for an assisted living facility through the Medicaid State Plan. To be eligible, seniors must meet all Medicaid program criteria and must be receiving the Optional State Supplement (OSS) to the federal Supplemental Security Income program (SSI). Family supplementation is not allowed to pay for a private room.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Okatie
Okatie and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Okatie, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Okatie
Okatie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Okatie, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Okatie
Review of Canterfield of Bluffton
I like the spaciousness of Canterfield of Bluffton, the room sizes, and the facilities overall. It's not a hundred percent, but it's pretty close. The staff is very knowledgeable. We saw multiple r... Read more
Review of Canterfield of Bluffton
I visited Canterfield of Bluffton. It was a nice facility and I was impressed by it. They have a nice restaurant, good food, nice help, and an attentive nursing staff. It was everything I thought i... Read more
Review of The Palmettos of Bluffton
The Palmettos of Bluffton has assisted living and nursing home in the same complex. It's almost two years old. They're new and the accommodations are very nice. It's a nice and smaller facility, so... Read more