Willow Lake Place

Reviews of Willow Lake Place

Assisted Living Reviews for Willow Lake Place

October 09, 2013

By Demetrius

My mother is a Brookdale resident. Before placing her there, I did my due diligence in investigating other facilities and asking how the Brookdale staff would would respond to various scenarios. After evaluating each facility, I chose Brookdale. The administration is attentive to the family's need. The hourly care givers are the core to any assisted living facility. I find these individuals for the most part caring and compassionate. Like any facility, you should visit frequently and set your expectations. I now can feel comfortable that my mother is well taken care of.

August 27, 2013

By Deborah18

My mom is a current resident of Brookdale Place at Willow Lake. We chose this facility for the location, the cleanliness of the facility, the interaction of the staff with their clients and the price. The place appears to be very clean. I haven't had any problem with them. I haven't tried eating there but my mother has gained 20 pounds ever since she moved in. She said the food is very good. She is getting along fine there.

June 17, 2013

By Gregory2

Brookdale is a smaller facility so the nurses have time for individual care. This is right for my parents and it's a lot better than the independent care that they were getting at a previous facility. The food was okay and they seemed to like them. They have bingo and they have some light exercising. My parents are comfortable with the place. An area for improvement would be on the schedule of their staff, the receptionist goes home at 8:00 pm so it is a little bit harder to get hold of the people there.

October 11, 2012

By querencia

The word "charming" best describes this lovely facility. They have one floor, I believe it was the third, that is entirely devoted to residents with memory problems. I visited this floor our of curiosity, since I do not have such problems, and I was very impressed. The residents were not kept in their rooms. The attendants allowed them almost complete freedom (on that floor) and just kept them safe and comfortable. They also had many activities that they took part in, which is something I had not seen in other facilities. Many times residents with memory issues are just being warehoused, with a pretty boring life style. These were active involved individual who happened to have memory problems. The rest of the facility is really lovely. The rooms are much homier and more personalized than most facilities I have visited. The staff seems to encourage the residents to add personal items and touches to their living quarters. The range of activities available here is really great. Exercise and dance classes, art, music, theater and all kinds of crafts. The nice thing is that the residents don't just watch the theater and music but they can also take part in it. One lovely lady I spoke with said that she had suggested several activities and her suggestions were taken very seriously by staff and administration and actually acted upon. I can envision this as a real "home" where I would feel safe in knowing that I would be given appropriate and excellent care should I encounter memory or other issues in later years. Definitely one of the best I have visited, and on my "short list."

July 27, 2012

By pulse077

There are a lot of staff. Very clean and well organized. The girl at the front desk is always nice. The director of activities seems to be very busy, perhaps stretched too thin but she is easy to contact. Their Executive Director is the only person in the whole facility that gave me a bad impression. She seems upset usually and too busy to talk to anyone. Always short and wanting to be over a conversation. Otherwise I am overall impressed. The third floor has memory care patients. They have a great way of making the resident feel at home and they have a shadowbox outside of their door that has a few items about their lives. It was neat to see all of the things their residents have done over time. As expected with memory care, they had a few patients wondering the halls seemingly upset but they helped guide them along all the while providing them time to roam and have some freedom.

May 29, 2012

By Kaitica0127

At Brooksdale, the staff is very nice and helpful. There are plenty of great amenities, programs, and facilities throughout the building. The caregivers there are very respectful and show great supervision over the residents. It is also a very beautiful environment as well as it's surroundings.

September 20, 2011

By MIdwest Caregiver

My mother-in-law lived with us for ten years. We took care of her as her Alzheimer's disease worsened. Finally, we could no longer keep her safe, so we looked into Assisted Living facilities. After much research, we choose Brookdale Place at Willow Lake. Our experience has been very positive. First, the personal attention is wonderful. Any time we visit, the staff can tell us how my mother-in-law has been doing that day, and what she has been doing that day. She has had various health issues, and they are very involved. Second, they keep her busy with enjoyable activities. She paints, does exercise classes, makes crafts, plays games, goes out to eat and goes shopping, participates in musical events and travelogues. Third, the facility is lovely. It is like a nice hotel or a bed-and-breakfast. Fourth, and importantly, they keep her safe. She cannot leave without a companion, but it doesn't feel "locked down." They check on her every two hours when she is in her room, but again, it is very low-key and tends to be a friendly visit or a reminder that there is an activity coming up. It has been such a relief for us to know she is well cared for, and safe, and in a lovely environment. Even with Alzheimer's disease, her quality of life is as good as it can be.

Memory Care Reviews for Willow Lake Place

Questions about Willow Lake Place

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Continual training for dementia along with our care training. All staff w/in the building are required to be certified with the Alzheimer's Association

What programs or activities does Willow Lake Place offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Multiple activities daily, planned and executed by our Life Enrichment Coordinator. BINGO, outings, happy hour, book club, floral arranging for the community, dominoes, movie time, painting, crafts, singing, lunches, etc.

What places are near Willow Lake Place or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Large number of local shopping and restaurants are walk-able and we're direct access to the bus stop

What transportation services does Willow Lake Place offer to assisted living residents?

Community car for individual appointments and community bus for group outings and activities

What makes the chef or dining program at Willow Lake Place exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Rotating menu of meal options, including resident's choice meals selected by residents.

What safety features or security measures does Willow Lake Place offer to assisted living residents?

We are a secure community with access in and out requiring a door code. All residents receive a pendent to wear, apartments include call access from the residence and the bathroom. Showers are wheel in with safety rails in the shower and next to the toilet.

How does Willow Lake Place keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We send out a monthly newsletter and as needed emails, updates on our FB page and announcements get posted around the community.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Willow Lake Place during daytime and nighttime hours?

Care staff based on detailed care needs of current residents. Nurse on site 24/7/365 or at a moments notice

If Willow Lake Place accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

On our community grounds we have a large pond, gazebo, covered porches, garden area and large grass spaces where pets can be walked or run.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Clinical care staff goes through regular and continual training and all staff is required to become certified through the Alzheimer's Association since we have memory care within our community.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Staffing is managed based on the current care needs and occupancy of our residence. We staff at a higher care to resident ratio in our memory care neighborhood

What safety features or security measures does Willow Lake Place provide to protect residents who wander?

Our community is secure, requiring a code to our doors for both entering and exiting. Our 3rd floor is a memory care neighborhood with additional safety and security measures to keep our MC residents safe and remaining in the community.

What programs or activities does Willow Lake Place offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We have a full time Memory Care Director and Life Enrichment Coordinator in our memory care neighborhood, specially trained to the specific needs of those residents

Our Director of Nursing and Resident Care Coordinator who are both RN's, assess residents on a quarterly basis or more frequently if needed

What techniques does Willow Lake Place use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our care staff sits directly at the table with memory care residents during meal times to assist with any needs and to monitor what's being eaten by residents

How does Willow Lake Place keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Our Memory Care Director and Director of Nursing are accessible to families via cell phone at any time. They engage families with any questions or concerns involving their loved one. Quarterly assessments are completed and more frequently should it be necessary

Describe the neighborhood around Willow Lake Place. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Willow Lake Place is located right off of 86th street, a block from St. Vincent Hospital and within walking distance to shopping and restaurants.

Is Willow Lake Place affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Willow Lake Place is a block away from St. Vincent Hospital off of 86th St. and we have active engagement with staff there when one of our residents needs their assistance and while a residents has been admitted. During admittance a staff member engages in local visits to the hospital and to visit our resident.

Costs for Willow Lake Place

Photos of Willow Lake Place

Services and Amenities of Willow Lake Place

• Pets: Yes

Types of care

• Meal Preparation

• About Willow Lake Place

Brookdale Willow Lake provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each assisted living and Alzheimer's care resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Willow Lake Place