35 Assisted Living Facilities near Carmel, IN
There are 35 Assisted Living Facilities in the Carmel area, with 10 in Carmel and 25 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Carmel is $3,834 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Westfield with an average starting cost of $3,623.
To help you with your search, browse the 289 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Carmel. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Carmel 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Noblesville with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 11 families in Carmel find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Carmel, call (855) 863-8283.
10 Assisted Living Facilities in Carmel, IN
25 Assisted Living Facilities near Carmel, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Carmel
Carmel is a small suburban city that's located on the outskirts of Indianapolis. The city is home to the largest farmer's market in the state and attracts a high number of cyclists and tourists each year as it hosts the Grand Fondo World Tour, an annual bike race. Carmel is home to a little more than 90,000 residents, 12.9 percent of whom are seniors aged 65 and older.
There are 34 assisted living facilities in the Carmel area, which provide basic assistance with the activities of daily living and residential support to seniors who are no longer able to live independently. These facilities are regulated by the Family and Social Services Agency - Division of Aging.
Throughout the state of Indiana, assisted living facilities are officially known as Residential Care Facilities. Any facility that provides more intensive services such as medication administration or select nursing care must be licensed to do so by the Indiana Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Carmel
- Carmel has a low crime rate. The property crime rate in the city is 66 percent lower than the state average and 66 percent lower than the national average, and the violent crime rate is 93 percent lower than both state and national averages.
- While the city enjoys moderate summers with July highs in the mid-80s, winters in Carmel can be harsh with average low temperatures in January of only 19 degrees Fahrenheit and an average snowfall of 26 inches annually.
- Although the air quality in Carmel has been assigned a passing grade by the American Lung Association, the area is known to have moderate levels of ozone pollution, which may cause some adverse effects for seniors, particularly those with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions.
- The Carmel area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Vincent Carmel Hospital, in case of medical emergencies or illness.
- While the overall cost of living in Carmel is 23 percent higher than the national average, healthcare costs are 15 percent less expensive than in the average U.S. city, which may result in significant savings for many seniors.
- There is no public-transportation option in Carmel, which means that seniors will have to rely on shuttle services provided by their assisted living facility or family and friends to help them travel to appointments.
Paying for Assisted Living in Carmel
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Carmel start around $3,798 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Carmel and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carmel
<p xml:lang="EN-US">Low-income seniors in Carmel have access to two programs that can help them cover the expenses of assisted living. These include Supplemental Security Income – Category G and Indiana Medicaid. Carmel does not have an assisted living community that participates in the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Carmel
Carmel and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Carmel, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carmel
Carmel-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Carmel, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Carmel
Review of Wellbrooke of Carmel
I would highly recommend Wellbrooke of Carmel! My mom was treated as part of their “family “ while she was there. Every one was kind and courteous. She enjoyed the many activities and the food was ... Read more
Review of Wellbrooke of Carmel
I would like to commend Wellbrooke rehab center on their compassion and dedication to the well-fair of their patients. From the food servers to the front office, my every need was met with underst... Read more
Review of Bickford of Carmel
The staff is so loving and caring, the rooms are beautiful,with a walk in closets, walk in showers. So much room to move around. The entire building is like a home. The chefs cook the most intere... Read more