36 Assisted Living Facilities near Carmel, IN
There are 36 Assisted Living Facilities in the Carmel area, with 10 in Carmel and 26 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Carmel is $3,838 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Westfield with an average starting cost of $3,623.
To help you with your search, browse the 283 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Carmel. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Carmel 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fishers with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 11 families in Carmel find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Carmel, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Carmel, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Carmel
Carmel is a small suburban city that's located on the outskirts of Indianapolis. The city is home to the largest farmer's market in the state and attracts a high number of cyclists and tourists each year as it hosts the Grand Fondo World Tour, an annual bike race. Carmel is home to a little more than 90,000 residents, 12.9 percent of whom are seniors aged 65 and older.
There are 34 assisted living facilities in the Carmel area, which provide basic assistance with the activities of daily living and residential support to seniors who are no longer able to live independently. These facilities are regulated by the Family and Social Services Agency - Division of Aging.
Throughout the state of Indiana, assisted living facilities are officially known as Residential Care Facilities. Any facility that provides more intensive services such as medication administration or select nursing care must be licensed to do so by the Indiana Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Carmel
- Carmel has a low crime rate. The property crime rate in the city is 66 percent lower than the state average and 66 percent lower than the national average, and the violent crime rate is 93 percent lower than both state and national averages.
- While the city enjoys moderate summers with July highs in the mid-80s, winters in Carmel can be harsh with average low temperatures in January of only 19 degrees Fahrenheit and an average snowfall of 26 inches annually.
- Although the air quality in Carmel has been assigned a passing grade by the American Lung Association, the area is known to have moderate levels of ozone pollution, which may cause some adverse effects for seniors, particularly those with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions.
- The Carmel area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Vincent Carmel Hospital, in case of medical emergencies or illness.
- While the overall cost of living in Carmel is 23 percent higher than the national average, healthcare costs are 15 percent less expensive than in the average U.S. city, which may result in significant savings for many seniors.
- There is no public-transportation option in Carmel, which means that seniors will have to rely on shuttle services provided by their assisted living facility or family and friends to help them travel to appointments.
Paying for Assisted Living in Carmel
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Carmel start around $3,794 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Carmel and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carmel
<p xml:lang="EN-US">Low-income seniors in Carmel have access to two programs that can help them cover the expenses of assisted living. These include Supplemental Security Income – Category G and Indiana Medicaid. Carmel does not have an assisted living community that participates in the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Carmel
Carmel and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Carmel, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carmel
Carmel-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Carmel, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Carmel
Review of The Barrington of Carmel
Starting out almost 5 yrs ago when we first moved my parents into The Barrington it was great, great staff, great food, great care, beautiful facility, rooms are very nice, but before my father pas... Read more
Review of Bickford of Carmel
My uncle currently has an assisted living apartment and he is thriving. The staff Makes him feel safe, comfortable and cared for. They go above and beyond our expectations. Staff treats residents ... Read more
Review of Carmel Senior Living
I have interacted with many members of their leadership team and have been nothing but impressed by how professional, caring and dedicated everyone is! The staff truly goes above and beyond for the... Read more