8 Assisted Living Facilities near Abingdon, VA
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Abingdon area, with 5 in Abingdon and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Abingdon is $3,522 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,346.
To help you with your search, browse the 20 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Abingdon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Abingdon 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lebanon with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Abingdon, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Abingdon, VA
3 Assisted Living Facilities near Abingdon, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Abingdon
Review of English Meadows Abingdon Campus
One year ago next month, my Mother fell in her home and broke her arm. After being taken to the hospital, she was given the diagnosis of Dementia along with her broken bone. I then knew that the ... Read more
Review of English Meadows Abingdon Campus
English Meadows Abingdon was fairly comparable to the senior living place with the exception that it has an all-inclusive price. The all-inclusive price is a big draw, and it is in line with the st... Read more
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at Abingdon
Commonwealth Senior Living at Abingdon was a very nice place. My brother and I went there and checked it out, and then I took my mother by there a few weeks later, and she seemed to like it too. It... Read more
Assisted Living near Washington County, VA
More Options Near Abingdon, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Abingdon
Abingdon, Virginia is a vibrant mixture of art and nature. Nature lovers get a great view of the Blue Ridge Mountains, along with a myriad of rivers and lakes. Theater lovers can enjoy a trip to the famous Barter Theater, where famous actor Gregory Peck once performed. Seniors may also be excited to learn that there are 18 assisted living facilities in the area, with five in Abington itself and the rest in neighboring towns. In Virginia, these facilities are regulated by the state's Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Abingdon
- The cost of living in Abingdon is 15 percent lower than the average for Virginia and 8 percent lower than the national average. Seniors may find that the costs of goods and services here are lower than in other cities.
- The crime rate in Abingdon is 17 percent lower than the national average. It is said to be safer than 55 percent of U.S. cities, so seniors may feel more secure in their residences here.
- The Abingdon area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Johnston Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The weather in Abingdon could be problematic for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors. While daily highs normally stay between 50 and 80 degrees (depending on the time of year), Abingdon receives a lot of precipitation. August alone sees over nine inches of rain on average.
- The air quality in Abingdon is 9 percent better than the national average. The pollution index is better as well, with Abingdon having lower pollution than 78 percent of the country. This is great news for seniors with respiratory concerns.
- Virginia's District Three Governmental Cooperative gives seniors in Abingdon both free and low-cost transportation services, so seniors don't have to worry about how they will get from one place to another.
Paying for Assisted Living in Abingdon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Abingdon start around $3,522 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Abingdon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Abingdon
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Abingdon
Abingdon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Abingdon, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Abingdon
Abingdon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.