8 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnson City, TN
Also serving communities of Elizabethton, Gray, Erwin.
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Johnson City area, with 5 in Johnson City and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Johnson City is $3,627 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,510. Cheaper nearby regions include Bristol with an average starting cost of $3,238.
To help you with your search, browse the 57 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Johnson City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Johnson City 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Kingsport with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Johnson City find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Johnson City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Johnson City, TN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Johnson City
Johnson City, Tennessee is home to the Tweetsie Trail, several museums and art galleries and more than 9,000 seniors. Adventurous seniors might even appreciate Johnson City's outdoor recreational options like Warriors' Path State Park, Boone Lake and Buffalo Mountain Park. To support those seniors who may need assistance with the aspects of everyday living, there are five assisted living facilities within city limits, with another two located in nearby neighborhoods.
In Johnson City and in all of Tennessee, the Tennessee Department of Health, Board for Licensing Health Care Facilities governs both Assisted Care Living Facilities (ACLFs) and residential homes for the aged.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Johnson City
- The cost of living in Johnson City is 88.7, slightly lower than the national average of 100. Transportation and groceries also rank lower and may help offset the higher healthcare costs in the area, which might take some of the pressure off seniors who live on a restrictive budget.
- Tennessee does not tax seniors on Social Security benefits, retirement savings account withdrawals or pensions, which could be beneficial for seniors in Johnson City who rely on those types of income.
- Johnson City has violent crime rates of 27.2 and property crime rates of 54.5, both higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4. Despite these crime rates, assisted living facilities are among the safest places to live due to security measures like alarms and self-locking doors.
- Johnson City summers are hot and humid, and the winters are cold with occasional snow. Seniors who want a more moderate climate might want to consider looking elsewhere within the state.
- Johnson City's air quality has a rank of 64 on a scale where 100 represents the areas with the best air quality, six points higher than the national average of 58. Seniors with respiratory issues might find that breathing in the city is easier than in other areas of Tennessee.
- The Johnson City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MSMG Cardiology and Karing Hearts Cardiology, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Johnson City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Tennessee
Assisted Living costs in Johnson City start around $3,549 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Johnson City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Johnson City
Tennessee's Medicaid program, TennCare, offers a CHOICES waiver program for qualified seniors that helps to cover the costs of services in assisted living facilities. The plan does not cover room and board fees, but it does set a maximum amount that communities may charge waiver participants.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Johnson City
Johnson City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Johnson City, please visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Johnson City
Johnson City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Tennessee are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Johnson City, TN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Johnson City
Review of Christian Assisted Living
I toured Cornerstone Village South and I'm leaning towards moving my mom in there because of its cleanliness, room size, and dining opportunities. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable too.... Read more
Review of American House Johnson City
I toured Elmcroft of Johnson City and overall it was a good experience. It's just the dimensions of the room were small, but it was set up nice and they did have a physical therapy room and everyth... Read more
Review of Christian Assisted Living
We took a tour of Cornerstone Village South for my mother-in-law. It was very bright, and welcoming, it is a very nice facility. I loved that there was a courtyard that they could walk in and out c... Read more