12 Assisted Living Facilities near Spartanburg, SC
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the Spartanburg area, with 7 in Spartanburg and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Spartanburg is $3,335 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,635. Cheaper nearby regions include Boiling Springs with an average starting cost of $3,050.
To help you with your search, browse the 128 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Spartanburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Spartanburg 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Boiling Springs with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 15 families in Spartanburg find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Spartanburg, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Spartanburg, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Spartanburg
Spartanburg was first established as a courthouse village to serve as a judicial site for settling frontier disputes, but today it has grown into a retirement-friendly city that offers seniors historic charm, outdoor amenities and a stellar cost of living. Those seniors interested in moving into long-term care have some 33 local assisted living facilities to choose from. In Spartanburg, as in the rest of the state, those communities are referred to as community residential care facilities, all overseen by the Department of Health and Environmental Control, Division of Health Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Spartanburg
- Seniors who don’t mind humidity will appreciate Spartanburg’s relatively temperate climate. Winters in Spartanburg rarely dip below freezing and the city gets just 2 inches of snow per year on average, but summers soar to a sizzling 90 degrees Fahrenheit and bring above average rain fall.
- Seniors on a budget will be able to stretch their bank accounts further in Spartanburg, where the overall cost of living is just 85.7 compared to the national average of 100.
- Safety is a concern in Spartanburg where the local crime rate is well above the national average for both violent crime and property crime.
- Public transportation is a popular option for Spartanburg’s busy residents, and SPARTA runs dozens of routes all over the city. Senior passengers with photo I.D. are eligible for discounted fares.
- The Spartanburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Spartanburg Medical Center and Mary Black Health System – Spartanburg, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Spartanburg has an array of community resources for seniors, including the South Carolina Upstate Aging & Disability Resource Center which provides assistance programs ranging from veteran initiatives to nutritional guidance, as well as several senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Spartanburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Spartanburg start around $3,335 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Spartanburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Spartanburg
Low-income seniors who are facing nursing home placement may have other options, thanks to the Community Long Term Care waiver. This South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services program is Medicaid-affiliated and offers eligible seniors “freedom of choice,” so they can find the long-term care options best suited to their personal preferences and medical needs whether that’s in-home assistance or a spot in an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Spartanburg
Spartanburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Spartanburg, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Spartanburg
Spartanburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Spartanburg, SC
Other Options in Spartanburg, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Spartanburg
Review of Woodland Place Senior Living
We toured Woodland Place Senior Living. The location was fine. The staff that I met was very nice and helpful. Some of the programs that they had (and I didn't research all of them) seemed good. We... Read more
Review of Pacifica Senior Living Skylyn
I went to Pacifica Senior Living Skylyn and was just looking at the community. My parents had lived there before they passed away and I was curious to see if they had done any improvements. It was ... Read more
Review of TerraBella Spartanburg
I liked TerraBella Spartanburg except that they were too far from me. It was nice. They have movies, different classes, a reading room, a library, and private units. They had one lady in there that... Read more