LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods

Reviews of LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods

Assisted Living Reviews for LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods

February 29, 2020

By 4URInfo

My Mother was at the Assisted Living for approximately 2 months. The cell phone reception was very very poor. I would call to check on her and they said they would but never received a call back after they checked on her. They did not return calls left on the voice mail either. My mother didn’t like the food. Finally the straw that broke the camels back was when her wedding ring and another ring were taken by someone there. So try to insist on your live one not to keep their sentimental or expensive jewelry with them. Let the family take it home with them if you want them safe and want to keep them. They did do a great job administering her medications.

Thanks for bringing these matters to our attention. We would like to get more details about your experience; please reach out to us at your earliest convenience.

October 10, 2019

By Sonja

The person who worked at LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods that I talked to was very nice, but I wouldn't put my dad there. They need to change some things there. Someone was getting their hair permed, and that's fine, but you could smell the perm solution in the air. You shouldn't smell mildew in the air. The staff member showed me one room that had black mold in it, and they said they would have it painted and put a new carpet in before my dad moves in. So they won't fix the black mold, they just mask it. The staff member who accommodated me was really nice, but could have been a little more informative.

Sonja, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience on your tour but think you may have gotten some misinformation. We do have some water issues in our Memory Care unit that are impacting a couple of rooms. And, we are in the process of working with Balfur to eradicate the mold. We are also doing a large landscaping renovation project around memory care to prevent the issue from reoccurring. We are not selling any of the rooms impacted until this work is complete and the issue is resolved. We know that the perm solution can be a bit strong, but it is a service many of our residents enjoy, and it is only provided by our beautician on Mondays. We would love the opportunity to have you back and answer any questions. Please feel free to reach out to us directly.

May 31, 2019

By reviewermay12

LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods was really nice. I would've moved Mom there, but they could not accept her. They had a great atmosphere. It was very neat with nice rooms, facilities, a dining and kitchen area, and a TV area. It had a good feel overall. The staff was great. The food is prepared on-site. They have activities posted like art therapy and music therapy. They have semi-private rooms, which were large, nicely furnished, and there's TV available.

November 27, 2018

By Wendy

LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods' cleanliness was wonderful. It was very well-kept and maintained. The rooms were smaller but very well-maintained. It was beautiful, right at the edge of the mountains. The chef was making cheesecakes for the next day and it smelled so good in there. The lady who helped us was very helpful and understanding.

May 10, 2016

By Carroll BDSTYS

We visited Laurelwoods. The place was very clean. The agent that took as through was very professional, and very caring. Everything looked excellent. I was in a rural area, but it was very safe; very secure. I would feel very comfortable if my dad would be there. I thought it was very bright, and cheerful. Some of the residents that I spoke to all seemed to be very happy.

February 29, 2016

By Theresa42

They had a bed coming up in about three weeks, so I did a tour of Laurelhurst & Laurelwods at that time, and I was seriously considering that one. Geographically, it was another 10 miles farther out and that’s beside they didn’t have another bed for three weeks. It was very clean. As a matter of fact, they have had chimneys that have started to leak and they were on it. They closed it off to the residents to keep it safe and it was very clean, very friendly staff. They showed me through the dining area and stuff, and I would rate that five. It was very nice. If they did have a bed that day, I was ready to move my dad. Beautiful scenery, beautiful courtyard area for the residents, and good activities. They had activities going on that day. The ladies were getting a manicure and the gentlemen were out in the courtyard doing some exercises.

Independent Living Reviews for LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods

December 13, 2017

By Aurelia

My friend has settled into LaurelHurst. He likes it very much. The staff is very caring, approachable, and concerned. They're good people. My friend's room is excellent. It is an apartment with a very beautiful view. There's plenty of space. It has a laundry area, a full kitchen, a walk-in bath, a living area, and a bedroom. He is very pleased with the activities, too. They have a great variety of them. They have a bus that takes them out for outings to different places. They have a movie theater, a library, a game area, and an exercise room. They have lots of amenities. It's just wonderful. The menu is excellent because gives them choices. My friend is very pleased with the food.

June 06, 2017

By anonymous110803

Laurelhurst was fine, but it was just a little too far away. The place looked fine, and there was nothing that stood out that was negative. They do three meals, and the staff was fine and pleasant. They answered all my questions. They have an exercise area, and it looked pretty comfortable. The rooms looked plenty spacious for one person.

April 05, 2017

By Carole017488

Mom is doing well at Laurelhurt. The facility is very nice. We chose it because of the price, proximity to where she lives, and its beauty. She has a very nice two-bedroom apartment. She fell in love with it. They have exercises, games, luncheons, and go shopping.

August 16, 2016

By Robert867215

LaurelHurst is the only place I looked at, and I immediately chose to live in it. It is more than adequate for seniors. It takes care of all your needs and has a lot of activities. The meals are well planned and nutritious, and the staff is outstanding.

July 31, 2016

By Rob881116

I am in LaurelHurst in independent living. It's very good and fine. They have a very good staff. My two-bedroom is pretty nice. The food and menu are good, and we have two meals a day. The dining area is very comfortable. They have good amenities. The activities are fine.

July 31, 2015

By Chet1

I had a very nice experience with LaurelHurst. The guy who showed us around was excellent. However, it was too small for me. They have everything.

September 27, 2013

By Geraldine6

We liked it at Laurelhurst. The staff, especially the lady who showed us around, was so nice. Everything was fine. They had nice apartments. Though they were small, I thought they were spacious enough.

Questions about LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All dementia care staff receive initial dementia training in their first week of employment and ongoing training annually through computer-based and in person sessions.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Laurelwoods Assisted Living has on average 24 residents with an average age around 82. Our assisted living residents enjoy socializing, playing Wii games and trivia, watching movies, doing crafts, devotions, and of course Bingo.

What programs or activities does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Bingo, Crafts, Movies and Popcorn, Wine and Cheese Socials, Trivia, Devotions, and many more.

What transportation services does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods offer to assisted living residents?

Complimentary local transportation Tuesday-Thursday.

What makes the chef or dining program at LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef has a Culinary Degree and is a Certified Dietary Manager. We offer a variety of options for meals, including choices from our All Day Every Menu.

What safety features or security measures does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods offer to assisted living residents?

Our entry and exit doors are tied into our pendant system so our staff is aware whenever doors are opened or closed. Doors remained locked at all times from the outside.

How does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Regular phone calls, letters, and daily Facebook updates.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods during daytime and nighttime hours?

Laurelwoods follows NC DHHS guidelines for staff to resident ratios, which may change based on occupancy.

If LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We accept small dogs and cats and offer a walking trail around the community.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Monthly, quarterly, and annual training both in person and through our electronic learning system.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Laurelhurst Independent Living averages about 40 residents, averaging around 80 years old. Laurelhurst residents enjoying engaging activities such as BINGO, card games, book clubs, wine & cheese socials, and more. Laurelhurst residents enjoy dining together for both an enjoyable meal and a sociable time.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Nearby we have the quaint towns within a few miles such as Tryon, NC, Saluda, NC, and Landrum SC. Those areas include shopping, dining, coffee shops, antique stores, and historical opportunities. Also, nearby we have a public library, beautiful parks, and walking trails.

What transportation services does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods offer to independent living residents?

Laurelhurst offers complimentary transportation to medical appointments Tuesday-Thursday as well as a weekly errand and grocery store trip.

What makes the chef or dining program at LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our chef has a Culinary Degree and is a Certified Dietary Manager. We offer a variety of options for meals, including choices from our Everyday Menu.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Laurelhurst Independent residents can enjoy a well-stocked library, movie room, beautiful dining room, workout room, and two outside porches.

What safety features or security measures does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods offer to independent living residents?

Laurelhurst residents all are given an emergency pendant to use that will get help to them at any time of the day or night.

Does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Laurelhurst Laurelwoods has established relationships with area healthcare providers as well as home care providers to be able to refer you when you have a need that is outside of what we provide.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods provide to protect residents who wander?

All exit doors are linked to our pendant/security system so staff is notified whenever doors are opened.

What programs or activities does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our memory care residents enjoy devotions each morning, music throughout the day, crafts, trivia, movies, and much more.

Our memory care residents are assessed by our community's Wellness Director every 3 months.

What techniques does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our care team is present in the dining room with residents during all meal times and can offer encouragement and assistance for residents who need help during mealtimes.

How does LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Our care team is very involved with our residents' loved ones and will communicate as little or as much as the loved one requests. At a minimum, our Wellness Director will speak with the resident's responsible party every 3 months when the resident is formally assessed or if there is a significant change.

Describe the neighborhood around LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Laurelwoods is in the foothills of NC, in a rural setting with quaint, quiet towns conveniently located nearby in both directions. We have quick access to I-26.

Is LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are not affiliated with a hospital, but St. Lukes Hospital is across the street from our community, making a hospital need easily accessible.

Photos of LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods

• Check
  • Payment Options Extra: None

• State Licenses: HAL-075-010

About LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods

Experience lodge-like living while soaking up gorgeous views of the Blue Ridge Mountains at LaurelHurst and LaurelWoods. From thoughtfully designed one- and two-bedroom floor plans to the world-class services and myriad recreational and social opportunities, residents may just find that we have thought of everything. We provide Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care in Columbus, North Carolina, in conjunction with the neighboring LaurelWoods community. The combined campus features a full calendar of activities and social programs to offer residents a rewarding, enriching lifestyle in a relaxed atmosphere of warmth and caring that promotes companionship. Our apartment homes boast kitchens with full-sized appliances for the ultimate comfort with a number of safety features such as emergency response systems, smoke alarms and sprinklers providing peace of mind for loved ones. Our caring and professional staff administers special nutritional counseling and housekeeping and laundry services with plans tailored to each resident. A medical director also is available for scheduled appointments. Just off of Interstate 26 and across the street from St. Luke’s Hospital, our community is convenient to a number of medical, dining, shopping and recreation options.

Map of LaurelHurst & LaurelWoods