Brookdale Forest City

Reviews of Brookdale Forest City

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Forest City

August 27, 2012

By GrandmothersGirl

It's a very good place with caring people. There are many activities for here to belong. She has her friends. They play games. She even goes to bible studies.

August 08, 2012

By Janelle1

My mother was a resident at Carolina House for almost four years. The workers were very loving, caring people. They went out of their way to try and be friends and make Carolina feel like a real home to the residents. There was time for music, games, art, exercises, TV, outside entertainment, Local churches would come in for Bible studies and music IF anyone wished to attended. The food always freshly prepared. The Carolina House always had medical staff available, provided transportation to hospital and doctors appt. There was a beauty/barber shop in facility.

July 27, 2012

By georgiaboy

As soon as I saw this facility I could tell it was very well-maintained. Upon entering the Carolina House my first-impressions were confirmed because the place was very clean. My great-grandmother was in the Alzheimer's area of this facility and it was immaculate. The rooms and hallways looked perfect whenever I got a chance to visit. In addition to the appearance, the smell of the facility was very clean as opposed to either a musty scent of an old room or the sterility of a hospital. I had very little interaction with the staff but from what I could discern they seemed to be very friendly and well-equipped to aid the patients in the assisted living facility. My great-grandmother was able to watch her television to catch her baseball games. I heard from my grandfather that my great-grandmother did not suffer in her final days and passed away in her sleep. While my family wasn't able to care for her, the Carolina House did a heck of a job making sure that she was comfortable in those final years. I will never be able to repay them for that.

November 16, 2011

By zach2465

I get a chance to visit this facility multiple times a month. I am the Assistant Chief of our local ambulance service and this facility is in our call district. Out of all the facilities in our district this is my favorite one, for more than one reason. The first is the staff, they are so pleasant and helpful when we come in to take a patient to the hospital. The staff knows what is going on and are prepared for our arrival with the patients chief complain , recent vitals and all of the patients medical history, and medical records. It seems like they are always in a great mood even if it is busy, you can really tell that they love their patients and what they do. I have never dealt with a nurse that has had a bad attitude and trust me this happens at some facilities. The second is the absolute cleanliness of the facility. It smells great all throughout the facility and that is very important, the hallways are spotless and the rooms are just as clean, it is very noticeable how clean it is. This facility is also know for their Alzheimer Disease care. They have a separate part of the facility for these patients and it seems like it is set up great for these type of patients, They also offer great programs and information for the families of that type of patient, IE, if a speaker on alzheimers is coming into town they direct families to that info. I live with my grandparents and they both suffer from alzheimers and at the time I care for them at home, but when it comes to the time when I cant care for them like they need, this is the facility that they will go to, hands down. We have already looked in to several facilities and this is my top pick. I am overall very satisfied with this facility and only have wonderful things to say about this place. Like i said earlier, i work with these facilities closely, and we have about 10 to 12 nursing homes in our district, out of all the places this is the one that impresses myself and they rest of my crew members and coworkers and even the rest of my family the most. I love this place, i think they are doing lots of wonderful things here for the people in our community that need around the clock care.

Questions about Brookdale Forest City

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All Brookdale staff receive additional training monthly. Staff that work in our secured Claire Bridge unit receive additional monthly trainings that focus on caring for those with Alzheimer’s and Dementia.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Forest City. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The overall population here at Brookdale Forest City is high functioning, active seniors. Most residents at our community are age 65 and up. Their favorite things to do are go on outings, play BINGO, make crafts and attend various social events.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Forest City offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer Optimum Life Programing each day that are not only fun, but also purposeful. Our activities’ ensure that all aspects of quality of life are met as all of our activities are physical, emotional, purposeful, spiritual, social and intellectual.

What places are near Brookdale Forest City or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

What transportation services does Brookdale Forest City offer to assisted living residents?

We provide transportation to and from local doctors’ appointments and residents with a valid driver’s license are welcome to have their vehicle here. We also take regular outings for shopping, dining, etc.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Forest City offer to assisted living residents?

Our community is well lit and handicap accessible. Our front door is locked each night at dark and unlocked each morning.. Visitors may ring the front doorbell for assistance.

How does Brookdale Forest City keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We have a Daily Chronicle that is passed out to all residents’ daily. We send a monthly newsletter to all residents and their families as well.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Forest City during daytime and nighttime hours?

We staff to care to ensure that each resident has the highest quality of care and the amount of staff changes as residents age in place.

If Brookdale Forest City accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Residents’ are welcome to have their pets live with them here at Brookdale Forest City. We have a dog walking trail outside as well as a courtyard and garden

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

All Brookdale staff receive additional training monthly.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We have 5 staff members in our Clare Bridge unit during the daytime and 3 staff members overnight.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Forest City provide to protect residents who wander?

At Brookdale Forest City safety is our top priority. We offer a secured Alzheimer’s and dementia unit, Clare Bridge, for our residents that need a secured unit. We also offer wander guard’s for those that may still live in Assisted Living with minor wandering issues.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Forest City offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We believe that people living with dementia can live an Optimum Life. By balancing six key dimensions of wellness with our activities and programs. They are purposeful, emotional, physical, spiritual, social and intellectual. This enables our residents to grow and bloom, whatever their real or perceived limitations may be.

We promote a person-centered care approach grounded in a philosophy that recognizes the person living with dementia as an individual with a unique personality, story and set of interests. Residents’ are assessed regularly in regards to health and cognitive functioning. We have nurses on staff as well as a physician to complete these assessments.

What techniques does Brookdale Forest City use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

The hallmark of The Clare Bridge Program is the “Daily Path”, a gently structured routine designed to help people utilize their remaining skills to the best of their abilities. Our award winning Clare Bridge dining program features starting each meal with a fresh, warm wet towel infused with citrus in the morning and lavender in the evening to promote consistency and routine for your loved one. Our dining program supports our residents and their families through the entire progression of the disease or condition.

How does Brookdale Forest City keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Forest City. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Brookdale Forest City is located in a rural neighborhood. Forest City is situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains of North Carolina and has lots for our residents’ to enjoy. Forest City is home to the Bennett Classic Cars Museum, Chimney Rock State Park, and the Rutherford County Farm Museum. There are numerous wonderful places to eat including The Old Fashion Fountain at Smith’s Drug Store, Copper Penny Grill, Moe’s Original BBQ and Louie’s Café are just a few of our favorites. Voted the #1 Top Christmas Town near Asheville and the #2 Top Place for Christmas Lights in Asheville by Romantic Asheville, the Town of Forest City is the place to be during the Christmas season offering ice skating, carriage rides, and visits with Santa at his house located in downtown.

Is Brookdale Forest City affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Brookdale Forest City is not affiliated with a hospital but we have several hospital choices in our area to include Rutherford Regional Medical Center, Atrium Cleveland, and Spartanburg Medical Center

Photos of Brookdale Forest City

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Forest City

About Brookdale Forest City

Brookdale Forest City provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each assisted living and Alzheimer's care resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Forest City